CCR4: West Ham Utd 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur (20/10/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Tottenham Hotspur: match thread

Post by sutts07 »

HammerAl wrote:I didn't think we were that bad last night. I certainly didn't think Sp*rs were any good.
Think that is the worst thing about it for me. They have beaten us twice in a short space of time without even getting out of 2nd or 3rd gear.

Unless we have our first choice eleven out there and fully fit, we just lack the quality and cutting edge to compete with the top sides.

We showed just how good we can be against Man Utd, early goal, tails up, a bit of luck... it all went right for us. Since then, the injuries have mounted up and we cannot cope.

I can understand people saying we were OK last night, we peppered their goal and had countless set pieces but once again never really threatened. The only time we looked dangerous was that first 5 - 10 mins after Arnautovic and Perez came on. Had we not given them the 3rd it could have been an interesting finish. The 3rd goal killed any hope of a revival.

Thought the game highlighted the following negatives...
- The huge difference between Adrian and Fabianski
- That Fredericks isn't ready for this level defensively
- The huge difference between Ogbonna and the new lads
- That Masuaku really isn't a full back
- That we can't play Anderson in the middle against anyone half decent (we have to have three solid midfield players in there)
- That Antonio isn't up to it at this level
- That Hernandez has no desire to play for West Ham United

And the following positives...
- We have a real talent on our hands with Rice
- There is a lot to be excited about with Diangana
- Diop is a real find
- Obiang is massively under rated and could strike up a top partnership with Rice and one other (Noble / WIlshere)

October was a month to forget all in all. November and December are now huge for us and the fixture bods have been kind... Come on You Irons!
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

I know he is hampered by injuries (as all West Ham managers have been for many years) but Pellegrini must surely see now that he will not be doing himself any favours by ever picking Ogbonna and Masuaku in defence again. They are both liabilities and need shipping out asap. As for his sterile midfield, he only has himself to blame if he thought we had enough quality in the squad to compete properly in the Premier League. Lastly, I cannot believe he wanted Anderson at £40m. I can't for the life of me see anything in the bloke to warrant that kind of money. A serious misjudgement of a player's worth and looking completely unsuited to the Premier League. No other club came near for him but along come good old West Ham and laid their money down.
johnnyb

Post by johnnyb »

Forgot to say I am sick of seeing Antonio and Hernandez in West Ham shirts. Get rid asap.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

johnnyb wrote:I know he is hampered by injuries (as all West Ham managers have been for many years) but Pellegrini must surely see now that he will not be doing himself any favours by ever picking Ogbonna and Masuaku in defence again.
and yet Masuaku was part of very good team performances at Everton, against Chelsea and Man U and last weekend at Leicester
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

-
Obiang is massively under rated and could strike up a top partnership with Rice and one other (Noble / WIlshere)
Couldnt agree less, Obiang was awful last night and left Rice to face up in defensive CM on his own.
Hammer_Time1
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Hammer_Time1 »

sutts07 wrote:
Think that is the worst thing about it for me. They have beaten us twice in a short space of time without even getting out of 2nd or 3rd gear.

Unless we have our first choice eleven out there and fully fit, we just lack the quality and cutting edge to compete with the top sides.

We showed just how good we can be against Man Utd, early goal, tails up, a bit of luck... it all went right for us. Since then, the injuries have mounted up and we cannot cope.

I can understand people saying we were OK last night, we peppered their goal and had countless set pieces but once again never really threatened. The only time we looked dangerous was that first 5 - 10 mins after Arnautovic and Perez came on. Had we not given them the 3rd it could have been an interesting finish. The 3rd goal killed any hope of a revival.

Thought the game highlighted the following negatives...
- The huge difference between Adrian and Fabianski
- That Fredericks isn't ready for this level defensively
- The huge difference between Ogbonna and the new lads
- That Masuaku really isn't a full back
- That we can't play Anderson in the middle against anyone half decent (we have to have three solid midfield players in there)
- That Antonio isn't up to it at this level
- That Hernandez has no desire to play for West Ham United

And the following positives...
- We have a real talent on our hands with Rice
- There is a lot to be excited about with Diangana
- Diop is a real find
- Obiang is massively under rated and could strike up a top partnership with Rice and one other (Noble / WIlshere)

October was a month to forget all in all. November and December are now huge for us and the fixture bods have been kind... Come on You Irons!
Great post, agree with pretty much all of this. Such a frustrating game- poor defending for their goals, crap decision-making and finishing from us (as we did actually create some half decent chances). Antonio shouldn't be any where near the first team in his current form, he's a liability. Agree with others that said that Payet made him look a better player that he actually is. For a professional footballer, let alone a premier league player, his touch and decision-making is :thdn: to say the least. And he seems to have lost his pace, which was his best attribute in the past.

I was impressed by Diangana though, seems like a talent- and spurs were struggling to contain him at times. Anderson, take note!
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Bloke behind me thought we played well but I am not so sure myself. Thought Ogbonna and Masuaku were dreadful, Anderson and Hernandez were non-existent and Antonio is starting to look more like a National League player than a Premier League player.

I wonder what the other players think of Snoddy when he comes on and busts a gut to cover the pitch?

Grady and Rice had good games but other than that it was pretty poor all-round.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I used to think Obiang was very under-rated. Now I'm not so sure - I think he's actually a fairly average player. Rice is currently the best midfielder we have. Snodgrass is second best.
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

when we signed Anderson I read on here, in Italy he had one good game in five, so must be due one now after his last good game against Man Utd, still think last night we lost the battle in midfield, Obiang is just ordinary for me I always thought Fernandes was a better player, Antonio works hard but like a greedy kid on a field never looks up just tries to bulldoze with pace and power then shoot, Fredericks should spend his time on the bench watching Zab a great fullback coming to the end but still quality, watch when he makes the runs when he tackles , when he concedes free kicks to stop an attack near the half way line, Arthur quick feet but hopeless at fullback, Perez looks like joining the list of names with decent cvs who offer us nothing when they play for us, chico on too much money to go elsewhere unless the Chinese come calling so we will be stuck with him, the goal from the corner a volley in a non crowded six yard box, surely with so few bodies in that area the ball has got to be the keepers.
johnnyb

Post by johnnyb »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I used to think Obiang was very under-rated. Now I'm not so sure - I think he's actually a fairly average player. Rice is currently the best midfielder we have. Snodgrass is second best.
Always thought he was bang average. Apart from Rice, if that's where his future lies, our whole midfield needs overhauling. Lanzini might help in a few months time but it could well be too late by then. January window to me is looking very important but frustratingly I suspect nothing much will be done at all and consequently we will struggle all season.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Oh well. Season 39 without a trophy coming up. I'm just grateful that I was around for our 'golden' era '64 to '81.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I used to think Obiang was very under-rated. Now I'm not so sure - I think he's actually a fairly average player. Rice is currently the best midfielder we have. Snodgrass is second best.
First game back from injury, clearly not fit yet. Harsh to judge him until he's back to 100%.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

waynepin wrote:Antonio works hard
Does he?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Apart from our defensive gaffs, in general we didn't play badly and looked good and in control 15 mins in until we gift them their 1st. They didn't have to work hard for any of their goals, just put on a plate which ****'s me right off, as it's schoolboy errors that cost us, not because they were so good themselves. At times in the midfield and attacking third, we really did move the ball around well and in style. Just at the back was where we badly let ourselves down but was all too predictable I'm afraid. Shocking defending.

He shouldn't have changed the defence against Leicester for such an important game as this, injuries permitting. Seeing Balbuena on the bench really ****ed me off before the game and sadly for good reason come the end.
Last edited by Colours never run on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Have to say that Snodgrass is winning me round after his loan at Villa.
Much improved player.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Obiang was a little understandably rusty, was all that was.
sutts07
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Problem Obiang had was the same that countless others have had before him... when we only play two out and out CM's in the middle we are asking one of them to do far too much.

Rice is flourishing having being given a clear directive of, sit behind two CM's clean up for us and play when you can. That leaves the other two CM's to go about their duties with a bit of a safety net behind them.

Obiang had absolutely nothing to work with having Anderson in the middle with him last night and as a result he was pulled around all over the place. Something that many a WHU CM has found before when playing in a middle two with very little support.

It is no coincidence that we have looked our best with three out and out CM's in the middle of the park.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I was out all night, so didn't know the result until I got in, I have one question though..

Did hammerman11 beat up any spurs fans, who were in with the home support?
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

BondsoBob wrote:Oh well. Season 39 without a trophy coming up. I'm just grateful that I was around for our 'golden' era '64 to '81.
I was saying this to my friends last night. At least people 45+ can talk about the past when we used to be decent & won a few trophies.

I'm nearly 30 and we've been s***e for my entire life :lol:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Briggsy wrote:
I'm nearly 30 and we've been s***e for my entire life :lol:
Ahem..

#NeverForget