West Ham Utd 4-2 Burnley (03/11/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread (03/11)

Post by sutts07 »

Huge credit to Arnautovic for his work rate up top. He knew he would get some change out of their donkeys at the back if he put the pressure on them and he worked tirelessly to put them under.

Diangana and Anderson were both superb. Always looking to beat their full backs and both (along with Arnautovic) really set the tone of positivity for the rest of the team.

Anderson showed (as he did against Man Utd) what a superb player he can be when he starts a game well and grows in confidence. Burnley couldn't live with him and it was great to see all the flair come out. The volley was superb technique and would have really rounded the game off.

Rice was so assured yet again. Played a little bit deeper then usual and just offers us so much protection. That leaves the likes of Obiang and Snodgrass to get around the rest of pitch and put pressure on further forward. Snodgrass must be horrible to play against by the way, absolute terrier in there.

Babuena and Diop were solid from open play, although I do think we need to see more from them from set pieces. Attacking and defending.
Last edited by sutts07 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

The Gibbins wrote:Yeah i think one thing you focus on with Burnley is their set pieces and we didn't even have a plan for their biggest threat. It was ridiculous Snodgrass was picking up Chris Wood, he was the best header of a ball on the pitch
First half we had...

Diop picking up Tarkowski, Balbuena on Vokes and Rice matched up with Mee.
Zabaleta was the man on the line marking Vydra and protecting Fabianski.

Mee managed to get a decent header on goal so Rice and Zabaleta swapped roles.

No idea what we were doing once Wood came on. He loves a goal against us and to not have a plan for picking him up was criminal and costly. We were very lucky he didn't make it 3-3. He won a header in the middle against Diop, the ball broke out wide and then Balbuena totally lost him to give another free header in the box.

We were hanging on a bit truth be told and although we were by far the better team fist half, the two late goals were a huge relief.
Last edited by sutts07 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

The Gibbins wrote:Yeah i think one thing you focus on with Burnley is their set pieces and we didn't even have a plan for their biggest threat. It was ridiculous Snodgrass was picking up Chris Wood, he was the best header of a ball on the pitch
While that is true, I'm quite happy we now seem to have a manager who's focus is how to put four past them, rather than spending the week harping on how to defend Burnley corners .
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Thanks for those pics and explanations, Sutts. I hadn't seen those incidents.
I like your theory about the first goal. Something about it hadn't seemed right to me - it just didn't look like a botched backpass.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

a decent win , at last

defensively we were very poor- their first goal was a nohting through ball- fabianski looked slow off hius line?

the corner and then woods header- unforgiveable- how many times do we let goals in from set-pieces- we just switch off?>!
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

sutts07 wrote:Huge credit to Arnautovic for his work rate up top. He knew he would get some change out of their donkeys at the back if he put the pressure on them and he worked tirelessly to put them under.

Diangana and Anderson were both superb. Always looking to beat their full backs and both (along with Arnautovic) really set the tone of positivity for the rest of the team.

Anderson showed (as he did against Man Utd) what a superb player he can be when he starts a game well and grows in confidence. Burnley couldn't live with him and it was great to see all the flair come out. The volley was superb technique and would have really rounded the game off.

Rice was so assured yet again. Played a little bit deeper then usual and just offers us so much protection. That leaves the likes of Obiang and Snodgrass to get around the rest of pitch and put pressure on further forward. Snodgrass must be horrible to play against by the way, absolute terrier in there.

Babuena and Diop were solid from open play, although I do think we need to see more from them from set pieces. Attacking and defending.
Cheers Sutts, that was pretty much what I thought of the team today - the only thing I would add is how well Diagnana did. He’s really growing in confidence and is good to watch.

Overall, a good performance and I am really enjoying watching us play at the moment - a long time since that happened. Pellers is doing a good job and whilst we are not beating all-comers, as a West Ham fan, I’d never expect that anyway!!
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

ballantine wrote: While that is true, I'm quite happy we now seem to have a manager who's focus is how to put four past them, rather than spending the week harping on how to defend Burnley corners .
Yeah true, i love the change in mentality from Pellegrini but when we have struggled to score like we have in previous weeks, failing to keep clean sheets has cost us many points. We could have very easily got another point Saturday from a game where we were easily the better side.
IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

Fantastic performance. It was shame to lose the lead twice (haven't seen the replays yet, but their first looked far too easy), but to see us bang in the winner and another with less than 10 minutes to go was amazing. Fair player to Anderson also - was disappointed to hear a few 'boos' when he name was called out.

As others have said, Arnie's work rate is outstanding. My only 'criticism' (if you can call it that), is that I often see, when he's playing alone up front but chasing the ball between the half way line/their penalty area, when we do have the ball there's no one in the box. Diangana got into some good positions on a few occasions, but with no one in the box to aim at.

This isn't a dig at Arnie (I'm sure he is following Pelle's instructions; any striker would love to just hang around in the box if they were allowed to), but if he's having to chase/win the ball, we should have others getting themselves into the box to get on the end of crosses.

Diop is looking class. Very composed for a 21 year old, who's only played a few games in a generally stronger league.
Al Fisti
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

IG8Hammer wrote:
As others have said, Arnie's work rate is outstanding. My only 'criticism' (if you can call it that), is that I often see, when he's playing alone up front but chasing the ball between the half way line/their penalty area, when we do have the ball there's no one in the box. Diangana got into some good positions on a few occasions, but with no one in the box to aim at.

This isn't a dig at Arnie (I'm sure he is following Pelle's instructions; any striker would love to just hang around in the box if they were allowed to), but if he's having to chase/win the ball, we should have others getting themselves into the box to get on the end of crosses.
If we´d have Lanzini back and a Wilshire in form, Arni has no need to do that
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

When did we stop putting players on each post at corners?

Is this something that has been phased out of the game?
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:Thanks for those pics and explanations, Sutts. I hadn't seen those incidents.
I like your theory about the first goal. Something about it hadn't seemed right to me - it just didn't look like a botched backpass.
All Tarkowski managed to do was wind Arnautovic up to the point that he was unplayable.
For the first goal, Tarkowski clearly had half an eye/mind on the fact Arnautovic was gunning for him. Took his eye off the ball and we were in.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

IG8Hammer wrote:It was shame to lose the lead twice (haven't seen the replays yet, but their first looked far too easy)
Long bang up field from Hart, Diop wins the first header against Vokes but none of our players react to the second ball... Vydra is allowed a free knock down to Westwood (neither Snodgrass or Rice tracked his run) and he in turn plays a very simple through ball to Gudmunsson.

Balbuena actually tries to play Gudmunsson offside but Cresswell is also tracking back and plays him on.

Really poor goal to give away and totally down to lack of concentration. I'd call Snodgrass and Rice out for not competing on the second ball after Diop wins it. And Balbuena for trying to play offside when his man is clean through. Maybe Cresswell for having the spacial awareness to catch Gudmunsson offside.
Last edited by sutts07 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

glad to come back and be wrong about the result! Quiete the rollercoaster of emotions during that game.

Good result, another day Anderson could have had 4 or 5 and I thought Arnie should of had a second when he was through but tried to play Hernandez in.

Couldn't believe that headed clearance Burnley managed when Anderson took that long shot, no idea how he managed to stop that going in!
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

sutts07 wrote:Think the team pretty much picks itself due to availability and current form...

---------------- Fabianski ----------------
Zabaleta Balbuena Diop Cresswell
------------ Rice Ogbonna -------------
Diagana -- Snodgrass -- Anderson
--------------- Arnautovic ---------------

Adrian, Fredericks, Ogbonna, Masuaku, Antonio, Perez, Hernandez

That is more than enough to beat a very poor Burnley side as long as we get at them early on and take our chances. They will try to come and make it difficult for us by being well drilled, but if we get an early breakthrough, I can see us getting a few.

3-0, a reverse of last season, back to winning ways and the start of two great months...!
So the clean sheet was an ambitious call... other than that... not bad!
Team and subs were bang on, hope I am right about the next two months.
IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

sutts07 wrote: Long bang up field from Hart, Diop wins the first header against Vokes but none of our players react to the second ball... Vydra is allowed a free knock down to Westwood (neither Snodgrass or Rice tracked his run) and he in turn plays a very simple through ball to Gudmunsson.

Balbuena actually tries to play Gudmunsson offside but Cresswell is also tracking back and plays him on.

Really poor goal to give away and totally down to lack of concentration. I'd call Snodgrass and Rice out for not competing on the second ball after Diop wins it. And Balbuena for trying to play offside when his man is clean through. Maybe Cresswell for having the spacial awareness to catch Gudmunsson offside.
Cheers :thup:. I'll watch it back, but that does sound poor, and generally matches my recollection of goal. Ah well, all good in the end.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Burnley
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133004
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Burnley
Bit of proof reading required their Boss, first line says Premir Legaue

Looks like they've sussed Hart out now
pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by pbenjy »

Woodleyclaret made me laugh. Even West Ham fans don't usually hold a grudge for that long.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

"Bobby Moore wasnt even the best in his position. He was just the prettiest. But playing for media darlings West Ham got you selected. Jimmy Adamson was a great player but overlooked for England caps. Joe Shaw who played for Sheff Utd was the best centre back of his generation and was also overlooked by England selectors."
- Woodleyclaret

Sir Alf - "Bobby, I've got two better than you..............but you're handsome, you'll play.... :thup:

Last edited by davids cross on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I do feel for Joe Hart as his confidence has been shattered, but i definitely do not miss hearing him screaming basic instructions at a Premier league back four for 90 minutes. The amount of goals he has shipped the past few seasons its obviously not getting through, or its complete nonsense :lol: