West Ham Utd 4-2 Burnley (03/11/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread (03/11)

Post by OohAahButler »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Joe Hart [ who I thought had a great game and well done , Joe for that nice touch with young Grady , it didn't go unnoticed ] .
It went unnoticed by me (possibly because I was at the other end of the pitch)? What happened, Tomas?
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

dodger wrote:This is gold :lol:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolutely hilarious!
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

For all Rice’s excellence, he isn’t great in the air. Think it’s a physicality thing as much as anything, but I notice it especially on attacking corners. He kind of just does what someone who has seen other people do it, but without conviction or confidence. Something that will come with age
rciron
Has liked: 298 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

old fart wrote:A lot of cheap shots at Joe Hart who had a tidy game, just behind a poor defence, bit like last season

Joe is a reasonable guy the bile is unworthy
Just a sh*t keeper :lol:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2682 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

OohAahButler wrote: It went unnoticed by me (possibly because I was at the other end of the pitch)? What happened, Tomas?
Put his arm round young Grady after the penalty decision went against him - he's a good man is Joe .
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2682 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Galwayman wrote:Was worth the 23 hour round trip to get to the game yesterday. Great atmosphere. (West Ham v Burnley 1968 was my first ever game at Upton Park). Thought Rice was immense, closest player I've seen since the great Bobby Moore, seems to create time and space for himself all the time. Snoddy put in a real shift. Good to see Anderson respond to Pelligrini's comments earlier in the week. Grady has great potential, but at the moment is a little light for the premiership, needs to bulk up a little but yesterday will have given him great confidence. Zabeletta belies his years, our two centre half's while good need to concentrate for 90 mins each. All in all think we are heading in the right direction. :scarfer:
Good round-up , sir and I'm in total agreement regarding young Rice , he anticipates and reads the game very much like Bobby did .

' 68 was my first match , albeit away at Everton , glad you saw us win at the London Stadium in what was our most entertaining match this season - I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the stadium , Galway .
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Even goals on sunday does not find enough time for West Ham :x
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Galey doing the commentary for Sky, was the only one to comment on how good Grady played.

Imagine if he played for one of the top six..

In a way I suppose it's a good thing, him flying in under the radar.
rciron

Post by rciron »

Georgee Paris wrote:Great to hear that from the opposition manager and great to hear someone wanting to keep the game played the right way. On another note I’d also like to mention that diving header from their defender - brilliant. I applauded that. Absolutely great football. I don’t care if it’s an opposition team that did it that sort of thing is great to see. :thup:
Hear hear great football, entertainment at its best :thup:
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 460 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Ok once again I was thoroughly happy with how we played, Pellegrini is the right man for us I just know it. We were electric, that game just shows us how much we need Arnie, when him and Anderson click it is special. Diangana and Rice are looking to be in the group of young players of the season so far, along with that Bournemouth lad and Chillwell/Maddison. Yes they scored 2 goals, both of which are easily stopped with some better defending, but going forward we were amazing and hit the woodwork how many times as well? 2, 3?. A penalty not given too.
Pure brilliance from us and it was exciting from minute 1, hats off to Dyche too for trying to keep the game honest.

:scarfer:
rciron

Post by rciron »

Anyone remember Roger East at Bournemouth last year? Don't know if it's just because he hates us, or he is just a sh*t ref, probably a bit of both :thdn:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

rciron wrote:Anyone remember Roger East at Bournemouth last year? Don't know if it's just because he hates us, or he is just a sh*t ref, probably a bit of both :thdn:
Wasn't that Bobby 'the dog lover' Madley?
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:- the defending for the first Burnley goal was comically bad. Diop had a bit of a shocker with the header, and subsequent second ball, the midfield runner who played the pass was not tracked (left by Rice i think) and then Cresswell was all at sea trying to play offside and got it very wrong. I also thought Fab could have done a bit better (but given he had had so little to do maybe not surprising)

- Antonio's commitment gets questioned on here but he was certainly very animated about the non-penalty decision on the subs-bench and celebrated Anderson's first goal with glee from the sidelines. Didn't strike me as the actions of someone who doesn't care
Contrary to Andy Townsend's commentary, Burnley's first goal on 40-whatever minutes wasn't their first chance. They had at least two good chances that they ultimately fluffed. One early opportunity saw Zab marking / splitting two forwards in the centre of the box and the Burnley winger fortunately picking him out rather than either of his two teammates! That ought to have been 1-0 to Burnley.
So our defending still leaves a lot of room for improvement. Another team would have walked away with points from those same chances (eg Bournemouth / Wolves).

Antonio also celebrated while waiting to come on when Anderson got the third. Pellegrini then turned to the foutrth official who was holdng the board and I thought it was going to be a bittersweet moment for Antonio - I thought Pellegrini was going to tell the fourth official not to make the change afterall :lol:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1291 likes

Post by davids cross »

dodger wrote:This is gold :lol:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Alan Partridge goes American.......Image
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

ryanrc wrote:Not 100% sure on this but isn't it the case that if there's a red card you can't play on. Because then you'd be playing with an player on the pitch who shouldn't be there

I suspect the ref saw it as simply a late challenge. In fairness Tarkowski kept his studs down, only led with one leg, it was from the front, and there was no scissor action.
But I often think that most of the yellows given for fractionally-late tackles should be nothing more than fouls.
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

I haven't seen Mee's "foul" on Obiang if anyone has a link or clip, please?
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1962 likes
Total likes: 1649 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

not even an attempt to play the ball...

really late tackle which when the ball had gone, he didn't attempt to pull out of...

RED all day long.......

paragraph 1 allows the chance to score, and we did, but if he had stopped play and issued a red, I would have had no problem with that either....
Galwayman
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Galwayman »

[quote="id .
' 68 was my first match , albeit away at Everton , glad you saw us win at the London Stadium in what was our most entertaining match this season - I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the stadium , Galway .[/quote]

It's grand for what it is - but I don't think it will ever be able to replace the atmosphere when we were in full voice in UP (bear in mind I'm a dinosaur :D )
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:I haven't seen the Anderson volley, Mee goalline clearance nor Mee's "foul" on Obiang if anyone has a link or clip, please?
Full highlights on the official site now.
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Vic_Watson wrote:Full highlights on the official site now.
Cheers. Just the "foul" on Obiang I haven't seen now.