Huddersfield Town 1-1 West Ham Utd (10/11/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WebmasterFF
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 152 likes

Re: ⚽ Huddersfield Town v West Ham Utd: match thread (10/11)

Post by WebmasterFF »

Doc H Ball wrote:Just left Huddersfield having observed the silence at the war memorial.

Good town and folk. Hope they stay up - their support is a credit to them.
Which did you go to, the memorial in Greenhead Park?

Being a born and bred Huddersfield lad even I (as a life-long Hammer) was proud of the club getting to the Premier League. We love our Town, and the club have been a big part of it with its history and community involvement. The club have coaches that visit the primary schools regularly and even give free tickets and a shirt to kids on their 7th birthday. Everyone knows that the club massively punched above their weight to get into the Premier League and therefore the same level of frustration that we go through as a regular PL club isn't there - every game is a bonus for them
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

I keep reading that a point away from home is always good. It’s only good if you’re only aim is to stay in the division. If you have any ambition of competing in upper mid table, you have to be looking to beat teams who have one win in ten, home or away.

When you look at the accusations being made against our former manager in the Allardyce thread, it’s surprising to see so many people putting a positive spin on a very disappointing performance and result.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

WebmasterFF wrote:Which did you go to, the memorial in Greenhead Park?
Used to have a great flat overlooking that park.
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

the pink palermo wrote: Used to have a great flat overlooking that park.
There are a lot of really big old Victorian town houses round there that are all now flats - god know how much they would cost down here!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

James

spot on...........

:thup:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

WebmasterFF wrote:
Which did you go to, the memorial in Greenhead Park?

Being a born and bred Huddersfield lad even I (as a life-long Hammer) was proud of the club getting to the Premier League.
A few of us went to the one in the town centre.

Had a good night out in the Magic Rock brewery. Bit like Huddersfield’s Howling Hops.

Seems like a decent town which has survived the industrial blight. Having a Uni helps.

I like the walk up the hill to the ground from the town. Reminds me of Sunderland’s SoL -the town empties for a home game then goes back again. Excellent support (they don’t need those ****ing clappers mind).
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

James P wrote:I keep reading that a point away from home is always good. It’s only good if you’re only aim is to stay in the division. If you have any ambition of competing in upper mid table, you have to be looking to beat teams who have one win in ten, home or away.

When you look at the accusations being made against our former manager in the Allardyce thread, it’s surprising to see so many people putting a positive spin on a very disappointing performance and result.
Huddersfield have been very unfortunate to not have more scorers on the doors though, and we were coming up against them away from home, off of the back of their lot getting that confidence boosting win. I’d certainly be more gutted if I was a Terrier today than an Iron.

I didn’t think we played that bad, at least not in the second half. We didn’t lose.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

e17 wrote:We didn’t lose.
Respect the point
ayriron
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ayriron »

Final comment on our support - generally decent but I wish the lads in the compound outside the away end making a racket while the minutes silence was being held had a touch more awareness of the time of year. They weren't misbehaving, just not aware of what was going on, and it doesn't reflect well on us. Perhaps a way could be found to inform those not in the main arena that a minutes silence was being held.[/quote]

a few in the main arena were as bad
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

I keep seeing when we play teams out of the top six, these are the teams we should beat, I wonder how many say that about us when we play them, top six apart its a very even league
Pentonville
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Pentonville »

Agree with many of the comments here that you underestimate Huddersfield at your peril. They are a hard working fit team with limited resources but a very good manager whose strategy to limit us playing the ball out of defence without overly pressing worked well. The consequence was that Fabianski was forced to boot the ball upfield where Arnie, who is never at his best playing with his back to goal was never going to win the knock down headers against their big defensive line. Andersen as many have said, continued on from his good performance in the Burnley game, an intelligent skilful player who will do well for us over the whole season. shout out also to Snodgrass, Obiang & Rice.

This was my first time at Huddersfield, and must say that they are the best home supporters i have seen for many years; clackers aside. They kept up the noise levels high for most of the game. We were a bit lack lustre in the singing stakes, not sure why. Is the away support just getting on a bit?

As some have also noted, Huddersfield is a great town, not as run down as Burnley, really nice victorian limestone buildings and some great pubs. A good day out to be definitely repeated next year if they (and us) manage to stay up.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Pentonville wrote:Agree with many of the comments here that you underestimate Huddersfield at your peril.
:thup:
Spot on mate.
Every season there are teams that I/we think that we should be beating. It's natural to do that.
I underestimated Wolves & they did us.
That being said, it is perhaps wiser to never underestimate anyone.
I'm actually not envious of those supporting teams who now expect to always win.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Pellers was quoted in the paper this morning as saying that we turned up just expecting to win, which is why we struggled 1st half. Seems we're morphing into Arsenal already.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Top of the Injury table with our most creative player out long term, a manager not even a 3rd of the way through his first season, new signings still finding their feet and coming back from 1-0 down against a premier league side to get a point isn't good enough for some eh?
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

TheHandOfDog wrote:Top of the Injury table with our most creative player out long term, a manager not even a 3rd of the way through his first season, new signings still finding their feet and coming back from 1-0 down against a premier league side to get a point isn't good enough for some eh?
Spurs have as many injuries as us, they spent zero in the summer we spent 100m, they don't even have a home stadium .... yet they're still in the top four ....

We can make excuses all day long, but at the end of the day we continue to under-perform ... 12 points from 12 games? Thank Christ there are several teams even worse than us ....
TheHandOfDog

Post by TheHandOfDog »

IronworksDave wrote: Spurs have as many injuries as us, they spent zero in the summer we spent 100m, they don't even have a home stadium .... yet they're still in the top four ....

We can make excuses all day long, but at the end of the day we continue to under-perform ... 12 points from 12 games? Thank Christ there are several teams even worse than us ....
Pochettino has been at Spurs for 4 years and Spurs in previous seasons have done very well in the transfer market(thanks to them having a board that operates well combined with a coach that develops players) and have built a very nice first 11 at the very least, over a period of time. We have had 1 window where we actually have a net spend above £5m, with a manager who has been in charge for 12 league games. We don't have a stadium neither if we are being honest. Spurs also aren't missing Eriksen since last season like we have with Lanzini.

What a bad comparison to make.

Are we under performing? Yeah maybe a little but with our injuries, players settling in combined with a new manager, that point we got in this game was a good point with hindsight.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

TheHandOfDog wrote:What a bad comparison to make.

Are we under performing? Yeah maybe a little but with our injuries, players settling in combined with a new manager, that point we got in this game was a good point with hindsight.
Isn't that the problem right there? When the EPL started in the first ten years we finished above Spurs five times, whilst never quite catching the Spuds since, just three years ago after 36 games we were on 62 points to their 70 ..... this season after just 12 games we're eight points behind already ...

It was never a 'bad comparison' to pit us against a London rival with similar resources, a similar ground, and a similar sized fan base .... but now apparently it is?

In the last five years we've spent 257m on players ... Spuds 237m ... yet they're leaving us for dead ...

Pisses me off more than anything when fans won't even compare us top London clubs anymore, sure we've had a rough few years but that's no need to give up ..... I'm not daft I know we've ****ed up so bad that we can't hope to compete without a massive injection of cash ... still won't have it that we can't compare ourselves to the feckin' Spuds... even if right now it's tough .....
TheHandOfDog

Post by TheHandOfDog »

IronworksDave wrote:
In the last five years we've spent 257m on players ... Spuds 237m ... yet they're leaving us for dead ...

Pisses me off more than anything when fans won't even compare us top London clubs anymore, sure we've had a rough few years but that's no need to give up ..... I'm not daft I know we've ****ed up so bad that we can't hope to compete without a massive injection of cash ... still won't have it that we can't compare ourselves to the Spuds... even if right now it's tough .....
I'm still quite youngish and I only really started following West Ham in 2005/2006 when I was 15 or so. In that time we haven't really been anything other than a yoyo club that is being run into the ground and I haven't known anything other than that.
I don't think it is fair to compare the doings of our owners against Spurs as they have owners that are almost the complete opposite of ours, our choices of stadiums being the latest doing that Spurs have done 1000x better than us. I don't compare us to Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea, Spurs having only recently joined that list, because in all honesty we aren't anywhere near any of them. Until we have some real ownership I doubt I will ever see us as a team that can compete with any of the above listed clubs.
I'd love us too but I just don't see it, sorry.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Spurs is a terrible comparison to make because they are lightyears ahead of us. They are also a very stable side with a manger who’s been there for a few years and a stable team who know his system inside out. We’ve got a new manager and backroom staff who have only been here for a dozen games and a brand new team, half of whom have never played in this country before.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Drawing 1-1 to a side who had scored just five goals and conceded twenty one isn't a particularly great result.

You can mask it up by saying we have signed half a new side, and have new management, Huddersfield are exactly the sort of team we should be beating.

Next level stuff....