West Ham Utd 0-4 Manchester City (24/11/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Manchester City: match thread (24/11)

Post by hammerman11 »

surely we go to a match with a few things in mind we hope
1. its a win for west ham
2. we play well
3. its a good match
4. its exciting

not sure beating everyone at walking pace every week delivers all that.

we lost against spurs but it was more exciting as we weren't totally outclassed. it was a competitive match and more exciting for the neutral.

I want west ham to win but I also want a proper game of football not the city training sessions !
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

kitthehammer wrote:Always makes me laugh comments like this. We just got beaten by a side which has spent money on the best players who have pace, movement, possession skills etc. In other words, we were totally outclassed trying to play the same game as them (The west ham way?). Then we get beaten or draw against "pulis type sides" , brighton, wolves, bournemouth, draw with huddersfield and leicester.

You play to your strengths no matter what they are. If it's ugly, it's ugly, but you do it on a match by match basis. Do you think Chelsea worried about Giroud scoring from a cross on saturday night as ugly? Brighton having Glenn Murray winning games for them?
In the words of someone who originates from a similar area to our weekend opponents (& has somehow become similarly unloveable against all the odds): Against Manchester City, "what difference does it make?"
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Man Utd have spent the same levels of money as Man City, yet we beat them comfortably.

Yes money helps, but top class coaching then takes it on to another level again.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Georgee Paris wrote:If we were -£300 million to start with does it matter if we spent £100 million?
Is the correct response :thup:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

richneal wrote: Interestingly, Pellegrini got the tactics spot on, perhaps with the exception of Masuaku/Cresswell.
I disagree, we didn't get a look in until we were 3-0 down after half an hour and they took their foot off the gas.

'Nearly' taking a 0-0 out of the second half seems to have glossed over how frighteningly easy it was for them to cut us open in the first 30mins for quite a few on here.

Of course they are a class above pretty much any team that has ever played in this league but you still have to try and put up some resistance against them. I'm not a fan of rolling over to get our tummy's tickled regardless of how good the opposition are. We didn't even put a challenge of note in on them and that certainly would not have been good enough for Lyall and Greenwood.

For me, we should have gone with the same team and tactics that we used to keep Chelsea out. We should have won that game too having created some decent chances.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

1st goal is just too easy all round... they don't even come at us with frightening pace...

Silva is allowed to just jog, untracked, all the way into our six yard box. Balbuena and Obiang are the biggest culprits for me there.
Masuaku has to do more to stop the cross, that said, he was left two on one by Anderson who had been competing for the ball way over on the opposite side of the pitch when it all broke down. Total lack of discipline all round.

Second goal is very well worked by them to be fair. I'm sure Pellegrini will be looking at how Masuaku totally lost Sterling and I'd also question how Sane is able to get a cross over so easily (although that was great play by him).

Third goal Masuaku is caught napping again. Great ball in behind him but he is clueless as to where Stirling is. Diop and Balbuena also let Sane out of their sights far to easily. Again, great skill from Sane to finish it, but he has all the time and space in the world.

Stirling should have made it four when Cresswell totally lost him, a great save from Fabianski kept them out...

Then came our chances... three absolutely great chances yet their keeper didn't have to make a save...!

Great run from Antonio and lovely ball from Hernandez too, but Antonio has to score. Hit the target at the very least.
Great work and cross from Antonio, free header for Arnautovic pretty much on the penalty spot... again, has to hit the target.
Free header for Balbuena in the six yard box from a corner... again manages to miss the target...!

The 4th was offside and one of many that the lineo had missed all game. Arnautovic had walked off and we were a total mess. That said, Sane still had far too much time.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

They are an outstanding "team" firstly, with some exceptional footballers, we were always going to struggle as most teams do against them in this "highly competitive league".

Next 8 games will define our season as to if we are looking upwards or downwards come January.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I was away at the weekend and didn't even see motd until I watched a recording on sunday night, so I can't offer a proper view. However I found Pellers team selection a little odd, as well as his substitutions (or lack of) regarding Carroll. Perhaps he's not quite fit yet, and is just on the bench for show? Silva's movement for the first goal was breathtaking, I'm not sure how you can defend against that. City are a footballing machine, which for all their amazing ability I don't find exiting. Manu and arsenal in their heyday were ruthless, but there still seemed to be more of an element of spontanaity about them, city just feel like (very good) robots. It still looked a better performance from us than the two previous seasons, but that's a bit like saying mud tastes better than dogs**t.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

goa127 wrote: Silva's movement for the first goal was breathtaking, I'm not sure how you can defend against that.
How you defend against it is have one of your own CM's track his run...

He didn't do anything breathtaking at all. He just ran in a straight line from inside his own half, to inside our six yard box... Obiang and Balbuena both just let him run.

Great little player who was superb on the day but let's keep some perspective. There was nothing special about it at all. He was two yards off of Obiang as the ball broke for Man City but we then gave him the freedom of the pitch by leaving a huge hole for him to basically just sit in totally unopposed.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

sutts07 wrote:1st goal is just too easy all round... they don't even come at us with frightening pace...

Silva is allowed to just jog, untracked, all the way into our six yard box. Balbuena and Obiang are the biggest culprits for me there.
Masuaku has to do more to stop the cross, that said, he was left two on one by Anderson who had been competing for the ball way over on the opposite side of the pitch when it all broke down. Total lack of discipline all round.

Second goal is very well worked by them to be fair. I'm sure Pellegrini will be looking at how Masuaku totally lost Sterling and I'd also question how Sane is able to get a cross over so easily (although that was great play by him).

Third goal Masuaku is caught napping again. Great ball in behind him but he is clueless as to where Stirling is. Diop and Balbuena also let Sane out of their sights far to easily. Again, great skill from Sane to finish it, but he has all the time and space in the world.

Stirling should have made it four when Cresswell totally lost him, a great save from Fabianski kept them out...

Then came our chances... three absolutely great chances yet their keeper didn't have to make a save...!

Great run from Antonio and lovely ball from Hernandez too, but Antonio has to score. Hit the target at the very least.
Great work and cross from Antonio, free header for Arnautovic pretty much on the penalty spot... again, has to hit the target.
Free header for Balbuena in the six yard box from a corner... again manages to miss the target...!

The 4th was offside and one of many that the lineo had missed all game. Arnautovic had walked off and we were a total mess. That said, Sane still had far too much time.
We had two decent chances in two minutes of each when 2-0 down

Firstly Antonio harrassed and bullied Laporte and then cut the ball back to Arnoutovic who should have done better, and then Arnie and Antonio had a one-two which led to a first time shot from Antonio straight at the keeper

Now, i am not for one minute saying that if we had scored it would have changed the outcome, but if you want to get anything against a team like Man City you need to take one of those chances

Plus we had plenty of corners first half which we failed to make anything of
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Plus we had plenty of corners first half which we failed to make anything of
This is a huge issue for me too... we are so poor in the air from corners, both attacking and defending them.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

have we scored directly from a corner in a league match yet?
Patito

Post by Patito »

Beavis Danzig wrote:have we scored directly from a corner in a league match yet?

No
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Just looked at the 4th goal again... not only is it blatantly offside, but it is scored in the 93rd min despite only two min being added and the ball being in play for the full two mins...

Do we just keep playing if Man City are on the attack??
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

they are obviously a lot better than us but there were no tackles and very rarely did we track the runner.

our midfield was over run. no criticism of rice who was my motm. obiang had a poor game and doesn't do enough for me. he has his moments but lacks consistency.

Snodgrass needed in there for his workrate and great corners; but as stated we don't do anything with them. why not diop arnie Antonio Balbuena should be doing better when we have corners. even Anderson swung in a few decent ones for once.

cresswell Snodgrass and now Anderson deliver a good corner which we should be attacking and winning occasionally !

city are robots and boring with it.