Newcastle Utd 0-3 West Ham Utd (01/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread (01/12)

Post by Puff Daddy »

johnnyb wrote:Tbh I wouldn't bet on us beating any team in the league at the moment. Can't keep a clean sheet and a complete lack of creativity in central midfield. I fear for us, I really do.
I totally agree mate, no matter who we play in midfield, with what we have available we are always going to get overrun
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I don't even care whether the outcome is a boring 0-0, so long as we keep a clean sheet, for once.

I'm going for the experimental next week:

-------------------------------- Fabianski

Zaba-------Balbuena-------------Diop-------------Cresswell

-------------------Mark---------------------Rice-----------

Antonio---------------------Arnautovic---------------------Anderson

--------------------------------Hernandez---------------------------

Adrian, Ogbonna, Masuaku, Obiang, Diangana, Snodgrass, Carroll

In truth, we're somewhat light, if we get yet another injury. I think, however, that time has been taken to try to integrate Antonio into the team, or perhaps the matchday 18, because haphazard he may be but he has a strength in the challenge (and running) that nobody else really matches. Deployed carefully, that puts an opponent on the defensive.

Wilshere will at some point begin to supplant one of the sub midfield options, on the bench, I expect.

If he was Peller's pick, we've got to hope that, in the second half of the season a fit Tabac can actually show what we're paying all those wages for...
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Eastend Ron, I was at the Burnley game. We didn't keep a clean sheet and nearly threw it away against a poor side.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

johnnyb wrote:Eastend Ron, I was at the Burnley game. We didn't keep a clean sheet and nearly threw it away against a poor side.
We didn’t nearly did we? We scored 2 more goals after their 2nd and completely dominated the game. It was a very good performance. Yes there were 2 defensive errors which led to goals, but we scored 4 to rectify that.
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

In truth we could have scored at least 6 goals (or more) against Burnley - not forgetting a clear penalty that was denied and Anderson rattling the woodwork

To say we don’t have midfield creativity Is a bit far fetched

However we are painfully inconsistent (something synonymous with West Ham, unfortunately)
Patito

Post by Patito »

Creativity is the one thing we are not lacking. It’s our conversion rate and inability to keep clean sheets that are stopping us from getting as many points as we could have done so far.

I would put Snodgrass back in the starting line up for this one, probably for Antonio.

1-0 West Ham.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

This was one for Fredericks - Zabaleta got murdered both times last season against these. Whoever scores first wins, methinks.

Snodgrass for Antonio or Diangana, I'd guess.

Real fight for a place on the bench.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Yikes we haven't got the best of records vs them anyway. Know you can't necessarily predict from even recent historical stats but I've found myself browsing this site for a few years now. Great for curiosity. I'm sure a few others here have as well:

https://www.11v11.com/teams/west-ham-un ... %20United/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think this is an impossible one to call with any confidence, unlike last Saturday. COYI
Last edited by vietnammer on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

They don't have a lot of creativity, but nonetheless, they do possess some. They do have Shelvey, however, who can on his day orchestrate wins for them. So, we will need to put a careful watch on him. Up front, there is not a lot to cause us too many problems at the back, but once again, their Ayoze Perez will pounce on any errors in our defence, especially from set plays.I can't see us keeping a clean sheet, but says it all about us when I say, I will settle for a point here and that's my prediction. 1-1
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

This is a game where Pelligrini’s style should pay dividends. NUFC play really turgid, negative football, so we should be able to sneak a win, just due to their woeful attack.
Pentonville
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Pentonville »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I know we haven't done well against Newcastle in recent seasons but this is the Pellegrini Revolution and we look so much better -

Newcastle United 1 West Ham United 4
TOMoS - I'll go with your optimism. Happy days if we can have a repeat of the Burnley home game and Filipe steps up again to score a brace. I actually think we played ok on saturday and that performance (shot accuracy aside) should hold us in good stead for Newcastle. If I can find a decent real ale pub up there (any suggestions welcome) so much the better.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Ironing Board wrote:This is a game where Pelligrini’s style should pay dividends. NUFC play really turgid, negative football, so we should be able to sneak a win, just due to our attack.
Edited for you, Jane.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Patito wrote:
Edited for you, Jane.
You are missing the point. We will not be punished for failing to take our chances, as they are powderpuff up front. This means we will be able to sneak a good result even if they get a few chances on the break.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

The problem at the moment is that we're creating chances but not putting them away. Arnie has been a bit hit and miss this season, it's too early to say as far as Anderson is concerned but the rest of the team is doing f*** all.

We're playing with five attacking players and we've also got two centre backs and a defensive midfielder who is decent in the air and should pose some sort of threat at set pieces. When Cresswell plays, we've also got someone who has got a decent delivery from a dead ball. Some of these other ****ers have got to start putting the ball in the net: we can't rely on Arnie and/or Anderson having 38 great days at the office every season.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Ironing Board wrote: You are missing the point. We will not be punished for failing to take our chances, as they are powderpuff up front. This means we will be able to sneak a good result even if they get a few chances on the break.

Wrong. You clearly didn’t see their win against Watford. Watford created plenty of chances, didn’t take them, Newcastle punished them.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Think the general will shine in this and we'll win to nil, 0-2 I'll go for!

That said....

We made Leon Best look like Messi so anything is possible
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

This is the start of winneable games but only if we are fully committed. turn up like we did at Huddersfield expecting to win and they will do us.

Snodgrass to return for this one as we miss the running in midfield. back to a midfield three as well.

diagana or Antonio for the final place up front with Anderson and arnie.

cresswell in for Arthur.

2-0 hammers diop and arnie
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Newcastle have conceded less goals than most except Manchester X 2, Liverpool, Spuds, Chelsea far from push overs, I think we'll have chances but they can obviously hold out. We need to be patient and play Hernandez, he'll be the key to opening them up.
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

what pubs are people going before the game?
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

our inability to keep a clean sheet determines another 1-1 for me