West Ham Utd 3-1 Cardiff City (04/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DasNutNock

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Cardiff City: Match Thread

Post by DasNutNock »

TheHandOfDog wrote:That opposition view was probably one of if not the best ones I have read yet, fair play to the Cardiff City forum boys
Yup - no delusional rubbish, just an honest assessment of where they are, where we are, and entirely agreeable thoughts about the LS :thup:
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Minus the last 15 minutes of the 1st half I thought we were excellent and for me that was up there with the Man Utd game in terms of our performance.

Cardiff were by far the worst team I have seen this season. If they stay up then this is one incredibly sh*t League this season.

The only 2 negatives for me were Arnie going off injured and conceding that late goal.

The one thing that surprised me was how comfortable we were defensively. When I saw Ogbonna was starting, not to mention Antonio playing at rightback, I did fear the worse. But thankfully we dominated the game so much those fears were forgotten.

Snodgrass was my MOTM. But special mentions to Anderson who with every passing week is becoming worth the commission money alone, Fabianski of course for keeping us in the game with that albeit comfortable penalty save and for both Antonio & Masuaku who worked extremely hard as our fullbacks. Masuaku especially who put in his best 'defensive' performance of the season. And what an assist for the 2nd goal.

I am glad Perez took his big opportunity. As I said before on here the criticism he has received has been extremely harsh. This doesn't mean of course he has automatically won me over, but he has shown in patches he can be a very clever player. Just a shame he's another player that has fallen victim to the majority of the fans deciding to write off before giving him some time.

What a great cameo from Diangana too. Was really unlucky not to get a goal himself. When you think he couldn't even make the bench against Newcastle and he comes on and plays as well as he did. Pellegrini has been given a massive selection headache for the next game! :thup:
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Cardiff City
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133078
Blimey no numpties in that lot.
IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

We started promising, had fizzled out by the end of the first half but ended on a high. Good to see Perez get on the score sheet (as long as he doesn't demand to start every game off of the back of it!) and Carroll back in action.

Great result (and to get two convincing wins on the bounce), albeit, it felt like a mid-week cup game against a lower league side; they are a poor team.

Does anyone know why the Cardiff fans were singing "Three Lions"? I presume it's sung ironically/sarcastically?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2701 likes

Post by sendô »

TheHandOfDog wrote: I think them pictures are taken just to post on social media to show that they were actually at the game.
Yep, because if you don't put it on social media, it's like you weren't even there.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

We started like a train. Arnautovic should have squared to Hernandez in the first half as opposed to wasting a good chance trying to score himself. He then seemed to carry his frustration on giving away the pen and eventually getting injured.

We certainly had a little blip as a result, the penalty, free kick and a corner or two put us under pressure and with Arnautovic off the pitch it all had a 'oh here we go again' feel about it.

Second half we started just as strong as the first, only difference being that we finally took our chances. As has been proved already this season, once we start taking our chances, not many can live with us.

We were buzzing.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 539 likes
Total likes: 458 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

sendô wrote: Yep, because if you don't put it on social media, it's like you weren't even there.
So ****ing true, it's the same with my generation and going to the gym. No selfie in the mirror at the gym=Probably didn't go.
Balhamite
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Balhamite »

IG8Hammer wrote:We started promising, had fizzled out by the end of the first half but ended on a high. Good to see Perez get on the score sheet (as long as he doesn't demand to start every game off of the back of it!) and Carroll back in action.

Great result (and to get two convincing wins on the bounce), albeit, it felt like a mid-week cup game against a lower league side; they are a poor team.

Does anyone know why the Cardiff fans were singing "Three Lions"? I presume it's sung ironically/sarcastically?
I sit in block 216 (next to the away fans). It was us singing 3 Lions to them (as well as giving the fat lad plenty)
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Great oppo view :thup:
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

This and the Huddersfield one have been shockingly balanced
Macca1973
Has liked: 1830 likes
Total likes: 1145 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Just watched the highlights again and for the Cardiff goal, can’t imagine De Gea, Allisson and the like not getting a free kick for that!
Graza

Post by Graza »

Nearly a fair result in this one, the only issue was the ridiculous pushing match consolation goal. No competent ref would have allowed it.

Very very soft pen as well, true Arnie didn't need to touch him but he plants both feet before suddenly developing vertigo and collapsing in a comedy heap. But then that was a constant tactic to break the game up and run down the clock, the amount of feigned injuries in that game would have shamed a late 90's Arsenal team - and tley are the reason "injured" players have to leave the field before they can return.

Thought we showed in the first half how toothless we are against that sort of 10 behind the ball defending and was wondering where the goal would come from. Turns out their defence is as pourous as ours and when it came it was well taken but should never have been allowed, they had two men under absolutely no pressure and they contrived to give us the ball. From that point however there was only one winner, and with the chances for Rice, Diangana, Perez and from corners we probably should have had 4 minimum if not 5, they gave up completely.

I thought he'd bring on Diangana when Arnie went off as we needed someone who was going to be direct, but Perez did the job in the end. When the lad did get on he was bright and creative so that's all positive for me. Snodgrass had probably his best game for us, Anderson is growing into the league, Antonio didn't have to defend at all so looked good at right back (please God no against Palace). Rice looked steady again. Losing Arnie is a sickener even though none of our recent goals have come from him he'll be a big miss.

6 goals, 6 points and only one rubbish goal conceeded, it's the best start we could have had to this run of winnable games.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Balhamite wrote:
I sit in block 216 (next to the away fans). It was us singing 3 Lions to them (as well as giving the fat lad plenty)
I have never understood why we, and fans of other English clubs, sing 'God Save the Queen' to Cardiff and Swansea fans
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^ I've never understood why England teams sing the British national anthem, considering they're representing England not Britain.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

We should just sing the Gareth Southgate song, and be done with it.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Cardiff manager Neil Warnock: "I don't know how we lost the game, let alone 3-1. I called Manuel over and said 'how are we losing 3-0?' And he said: 'I don't know'.
I think we have a new contender for quote of the year.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Neil, the object of the game is to put that round thing between the white uprights and below the long white pole at the top and into that net thing that stops the ball going into the crowd.

it's a simple plan really......
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

If he’d added “it was so funny”, I’d have thought it was something off that Boring James Milner Twitter.
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

It’s got to be asked...

What’s happened to Colin’s face?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »