West Ham Utd 3-1 Cardiff City (04/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Cardiff City: Match Thread

Post by hammerman11 »

we will need him more against palace than Cardiff. townsend and Zaha will destroy Antonio at RB !

rest zab for Cardiff and let him deal with the palace boys if he gets booked and misses one so be it.
fab
johnson diop balbuena masuaka
snodgrass noble rice anderson
hernandez arnie

subs Adrian zab ogbonna obiang Antonio diagana carroll

3-0 hammers arnie Hernandez Anderson

a rip roaring display and marching onto palace with some confidence for once !
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

e17 wrote: Can you stop saying things I agree with please it makes me feel funny. Thanks.
:lol:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Ladzini wrote:
IB but then what would you propose against Palace? I doubt we will name an unchanged XI for 3 games in 7 days. The squad is there to rotate and stop injuries from fatigue and surely Cardiff at home is a fixture we can reasonably expect to do that in?
Barring injury, I would play the same team again. And swap out those who cannot handle the minutes as per medical evaluations. It’s not rocket science, and you only rest players when they actually need it. You want to get the points on the board to be safe as soon as possible.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

agree but the zabaleta situation is compounded by the fact we have no cover at RB, his age and being a booking away on Tuesday from missing the palace game.

who knows what Johnson is like |||||? if no good then we have a choice of Antonio or ogbonna at RB. neither fills me with optimism for the palace game where Zaha will look to have a go and dive a lot !
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Anyone but Arthur at left back if we play a flat back four.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Think this one is going to be a grind but we will get a 2-1 win!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Cardiff are coming off two wins on the bounce, another great opportunity to stop a sides momentum.

First goal again will be critical, we score first and we go on to win "fairly" comfortably.

I had Cardiff down by Christmas, but fair play to them, picked up more points than I thought they would have at this time. Hard working team, but we do have a lot more in our 11 than theirs.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

I think there might have to be more rotation than just Zabaleta on Tuesday night to be honest. We only played 2 days ago and have another game on Saturday, I can't see Noble, Arnautovic or Snodgrass for example being able to play 3 games in a week at the intensity they played at on Saturday.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

johnnyb wrote:Anyone but Arthur at left back if we play a flat back four.
Like who exactly?

If Cresswell is indeed out then I has to be Masuaku. I actually think he’ll be fine against a team like Cardiff.
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

Knighter10WHU wrote:I think there might have to be more rotation than just Zabaleta on Tuesday night to be honest. We only played 2 days ago and have another game on Saturday, I can't see Noble, Arnautovic or Snodgrass for example being able to play 3 games in a week at the intensity they played at on Saturday.
Agreed however I feel Arnie didn't have to do as much solo chasing due to Hernandez being up there with him. He was also taken off quite early once we went 2-0 up and thats probably with a view to resting him for Tuesday. Think he will start however expect Noble and Snodgrass to be rotated with Antonio/Diangana and Obiang/Wilshere respectively.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Cardiff are no mugs... they will be well drilled and organised, they will work their nuts off and they will throw their bodies on the line.

If we turn up thinking we can take the p!ss we will get a nasty little surprise. They only lost 1-0 at Spurs and the same at Everton... we have to compete with them before our quality can shine through.

I'd be looking to bring Obiang back in with Noble and Rice for this one, that said, when you have a striker in form and a formation that is working, you have to stick with it and Hernandez will no doubt be buzzing right now.

Morrison will be a big threat in the air, they seem to aim all set plays (and throws) at him alone and then pick up the knock downs.

They played almost a 3142 very attacking version of wing backs at home against Wolves, packed the middle and attacked out wide using the pace of Hoiltett. Up until that game they have been using a more compact 4141 system and I'd expect to see that away from home. They will no doubt come for a point and hope to pick us off with a set piece.
Last edited by sutts07 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

I wonder how many they will bring for this.
It makes for bit of a flat atmosphere when the away fans don't take the top tier.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Coops wrote:I wonder how many they will bring for this.
It makes for bit of a flat atmosphere when the away fans don't take the top tier.
So far as I hear, they've sold out their initial allocation.

I don't know what the size of it it, mind.
Nick Sneddon
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Nick Sneddon »

Warnock: "We’re struggling a bit injury-wise. Another couple of lads had knocks. I was going to change it and rest players, but I don’t think I can now. I’ll have to ask the lads to perform three times in a week."

sounds good
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike »

Nick Sneddon wrote:Warnock: "We’re struggling a bit injury-wise. Another couple of lads had knocks. I was going to change it and rest players, but I don’t think I can now. I’ll have to ask the lads to perform three times in a week."

sounds good
For whoever they play next weekend, especially!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Take care of their Danger-Man , Aron Gunnarsson and we should be ok , Junior Hoilett popped up with a cracker the other day but hopefully that's a rare occurrence .
They're very hard working and hopefully they'll come looking for goals - that's when we're at our best .
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Monkey Mike wrote: For whoever they play next weekend, especially!
They are at home to Southampton at the weekend... I'd suggest they would prioritise three points in that one over a games at ours place.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

This won't be a walkover. However if we have designs on making the top half and spending the money we did, it's the kind of game we should be marking down as a strong home win.

Have we actually won two games on the bounce yet? Would be a good time to start.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

2 in a row was jan 2017 ! 3 in a row, god knows when that was ???

our attitude has to be right for tomorrow or we will be dragged down to their level.

this is the match we need to win and the easier of the two this week.

one match at a time lets get this one done !

full strength team Arthur for cresswell and maybe Johnson/ogbonna for zab

COYI
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

WorcesterWHU wrote: Have we actually won two games on the bounce yet?
Not in the Premier League, we didn't in the whole of last season either.

Dec 2016, we beat Burnley at home, followed by Hull at home and then went and won away at Swansea. We also won away at Palace and then at home to Sunderland earlier that season.