West Ham Utd 3-2 Crystal Palace (08/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by S-H »

An observation on the Anderson goal which started with Noble, he passes to Zabaleta, Noble signals for him to play it back towards the keeper, but Zaba ignores this and drives forward with a great run, we then work the ball to left for Anderson who hits his worldie.

Just shows that if you're positive, push forward and take chances you are rewarded, how often in the past would we have just passed back or sideways in that scenario.

Loving this positive Pellegrini West Ham!!
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Absolutely.

In the 2nd half also, Chicharito dropped deep, (pretty much the middle of the park) to pick up the ball, produced a great bit of skill then passed and moved. Was lovely to watch. The football has been a joy to behold.

That’s now 5 wins from our last 8 at home also. 2 defeats to Tottenham (one we didn’t deserve and one we did) and one to Man City. Good to see we are putting away the teams around/below us on home turf, as they’ll start to fear coming here.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

I think Noble has been superb since coming back into the side. When he turns it on the guy makes us click.

Quite rightly Rice, Snodgrass and Anderson are taking the plaudits, but I needed to add my 2p worth about the skipper as he has somewhat surprised me since coming back.
Bobby Moore Out
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Bobby Moore Out »

Couldn't agree more, GALF. Although he gets outshone by some of the more exciting players in the team, the simple fact is that we play better when Mark is on the pitch, and have done for some time.

Another point is that, if you accept Rice as being Irish for the moment, we started the match with eleven different nationalities represented. That's got to present a peculiarly modern challenge to the manager and captain and Pellegrini and Noble deserve credit for the team spirit they've created.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

crystal palace are the farm we threaten to send our players off to if they don't behave.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

I was never unduly worried even at a goal down. We offered a lot more than they could muster and played some great stuff in the first half. It needed the Carroll for Perez tweak to open up more space to exploit.

The opening 20 minutes of the 2nd half was a joy. Passing with pace, purpose and intent. Anderson floating around like Alan Devonshire in his pomp, Rice a modern day swashbuckling Bonzo. It was a real joy.

The pieces are falling into place. Genuine competition for places, not even an injury crisis is upsetting us.

The Engineer is piecing together a true West Ham styled sense of wonder.

MotM however goes not to Big Phil, Snodders or Declan, but to whoever was responsible for loading up the bubble machines. At one stage the output was so great I thought the whole stadium was going to be engulfed in a manner akin to a 70’s sitcom sketch.
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

GALF wrote:I think Noble has been superb since coming back into the side. When he turns it on the guy makes us click.
Spot on. Everything goes through him in our build up play. He always wants the ball be it dropping back to receive it from Fabianski or receiving centrally and executing a good pass. Not the quickest but he has a good engine and a genuine love of club that not many others come close to. Top penalty taker as well. The odd daft tackle but I'll take that. We are a much better side when he is in it.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Rio wrote:
The Engineer is piecing together a true West Ham styled sense of wonder.
:clap:

Nice .
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

But if subject ,but I noticed in the match programme the obituary of John Northcutt ,who's books I had always regarded as my bibles of West Hams history
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Beavis Danzig wrote:crystal palace are the farm we threaten to send our players off to if they don't behave.
state of that away end, the dump, more like!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Crystal Palace
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133086
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Snodgrass got lucky?!

How dare you. Bobby Snods is the king.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

What a strange bunch on the OV this week.

Snodgrass strike lucky? :lol:. They made it sound like they battered us and 3 lucky strikes later we’ve taken the 3 pts from them. Bitter flag waving muppets.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Crystal Palace
Always good value.

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Back to a biased oppo view :lol:

I'm getting the Pards team feeling (the good days) of when we use to go 1 nil down but am not worried as I know we will create chances and hopefully get a point/win, nice feeling to have.

I think defensively we have gone back a step, but going forward we still look very good.

Deserved 3 points, thought the skipper, Zab, Rice, Anderson were the stand outs, with Chico/Snoddy coming up close behind. 3 wins on the bounce :scarfer:
Graza

Post by Graza »

Clacton-ammer wrote:I'm getting the Pards team feeling (the good days) of when we use to go 1 nil down but am not worried as I know we will create chances and hopefully get a point/win, nice feeling to have.
That game ended a run of 14 we've been involved in where the scorer of the first goal has won or at least drawn...
Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Crystal Palace
Nice to see so many upset about the "soft" free kick that led to our second yet no mention of the fact that their freekick that came back off the bar was from that odeous twat Townsend having jumped 3 feet in front of a challenge... Or just in general the negativity and timewasting employeed... I do love how "lucky" we were when they scored with the only chance they had in the first half (bar the dive free kick)...

Oh well. I'm off the office to dig out the Palace supporter.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Double post (sodding district line)
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Hernandez really frustrated me first half. Should have scored when put clean through early on but due to the slightest of shoves in the back he seemed to decide it just wasn't his day and gave up trying. He was constantly offside, didn't show for the ball and was very luck to stay on the pitch at half time. That all said, he is a poacher and his goal summed up exactly what he brings to the party. Great finish. Do that every other week and the rest can be swallowed.

Perez was never really at it. Injury or not, it was so disappointing to see on the back of his brace. He should have been buzzing.

Rice got caught napping and played three of them onside for the first goal. Other than that, he was immense yet again. Hope he gets a good rest this week as he looked shot to bits near the end and we certainly don't need him burning out.

Huge let off just before half time with the free kick hitting the bar. Not sure we'd have got the win had that crept in.

Not much to say about the strikes from Snodgrass and Anderson that hasn't been said. Both absolutely top draw. Great that we have that in our locker.

Once again I do have to raise the point of how susceptible we are from set pieces. Any free kick or corner looks like a nailed on goal for the opposition at the moment. If we can improve in that area, we have the makings of a very good side here.

Once we click and the confidence is high, there is no stopping us.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

At the end of the game Palace looked like a side going down.

Half their team straight off down the pitch, one or two kind of clapped their fans from the half way line and only 3 went down to that end of the pitch.

It reminded me of us when we went down last, no-one out there cared, apart from 3 or 4 (Green, Parker, Cole and Nobes). Also, they are playing players out of position with no real idea why they are doing it. Playing Zaha upfront baffled me. Let's all be honest, if he's running down the wing at us he will cause us problems all game long, sticking him down the middle played into our hands.

Oh well, one less game in London next season, unless they seriously turn it around.

I thought we were fantastic in the 2nd half, and I'm walking away from games with a smile on my face because even though we will concede goals, we look like scoring goals, and a lot of them too.

As my old man always says 'In the 60's we had the best defender in the world and still couldn't defend, so just attack'

:scarfer:
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Clacton-ammer wrote:I'm getting the Pards team feeling (the good days) of when we use to go 1 nil down but am not worried as I know we will create chances and hopefully get a point/win, nice feeling to have.
Happened a lot under Slav too. Fair few times we went 1-0, even 2-0 down and then coming back to either draw or win.

That win on Saturday felt so good seeing us coming from 1-0 down to going 3-1 up.