Fulham 0-2 West Ham Utd (15/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Re: ⚽ Fulham v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Ludeksgloves wrote: Sitting in a bar in southern Spain with a nice pint of white wine, staring at his phone, waiting for the call that will come from some Chairman that hits the panic button.
Pint of white wine hahaha :lol: . This is so ****ing true, I reckon he will be back this year, quite a few clubs with very low points tallies.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

he's only going to take a job where there is a good squad and he can get his 1M bonus for keeping them up...

oh and keep his reputation from never being relegated still in tact....
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Oldun wrote:If I remember correctly ,Fulham spent as much money in the summer as we did.
More.

They actually nearly spent net £100m that we seem to keep getting chucked back at us:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sports ... end-summer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

mushy wrote:Our centre backs do have this strange tendency to lose their markers on set pieces and crosses from the wings.
Better teams would have punished us.
We are playing really well at the moment but to a certain extent we are riding a bit of luck I would say.
Is this because (I'm sure someone else said) its zonal marking. Just a thought.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

the pink palermo wrote:Not at our best today.
Today the result was better than the performance, next Saturday we need to be better
Agreed. Our goalie and goalscorers were the difference:

1. Felt Fabianski did very well with all of Fulham's four shots on target, especially the first against Kamara. I could argue that Fabianski won us the match.

2. One stat sums it up for me: Uncharacteristically, we buried 66% of our total shots on target - not usually anywhere near that clinical. By way of comparison, neither are City or Liverpool or Barca . . .

Fulham were good for the first half - did very well controlling the midfield. Not sure that their defence is currently up to the job, so it will be interesting to see what CR will do during the next few weeks to sort that out. If he's given the time and money he will - he's a great manager.

And if we think that Fulham's defence is shaky, we need to have a look at our own. Any opposition manager will be licking their lips as they plot low balls and high balls from the flanks to pick out the open man. We've seen posters on here critique Masuaku for turning off too often - and if that's true, I'd argue that Diop and Balbuena do just the same.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Hope MP gave the majority of our boys a thrashing after the game, thought we were dreadful excluding 4 or 5 players, poor attitude, just turn up and win etc. Which in fairness we did :D We will get stuffed sooner rather than later if we keep going into a game with that attitude.

Fulham reminded me of a team that are waiting for their manager to be sacked, which considering Raneiri has just been appointed means he has a very tough job ahead of him.

Lastly, our supporters, you were ****ing superb, was in corporate and heard a few mention how good our support was, and you really was :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Christ, Fulham are a team properly devoid of confidence aren't they?

We were pretty poor first half, giving the ball away and constantly letting their players lose their markers. If not for their woeful finishing we might have been 2 down before we even got near their box. As it was we were clinical going forwards and that was the end of it.

Some call it the mark of a good team to play poorly and still win. It's fantastic that we're scoring goals for fun, but the defence needs to get tighter and more switched on.

Still, the first goal was a beaut.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

that ball in from the flanks into a man completely unmarked is/will be our undoing.

i) Need to have better pressure on the man on the ball
ii) We need to be better across the back four- that chance they had before half time for their header, really it was zabbas man as the player was in front of him and he could see the gap between him and balbuena/diop
iii) as said earlier by someone, the joy they had first half with a no 10 playing though us and negating our high line was nearly our undoing- we either wised up to it or they just folded , not sure of which.

I really think we won at half pace and clearly the idea was to play the game out and not over committ- we could have easily gone on and scored again if needed

happy days
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Decent oppo view, they really are suffering! We have been there before so we know what it feels like, excluding spending 100M and then having to watch that....
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Opposition view is quite a depressing read, I almost feel sorry for them.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Play like that and win every week, I don't care. There's something really great about getting a goal against the run of play.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

It has to be said that Camara fluffed two decent chances to score and it would have been a very different game. Our defence was certainly flattered by the fact we ended up not letting any in. Any other team would punish us and i count the coming team Watford in that category. Certainly our defence was as bad as theirs first half.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Carlton'sGoal wrote:Play like that and win every week, I don't care.
Play like that and we certainly wouldn't win every week.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Only saw the highlights on Motd but was alarmed by the way Fulham were playing through our midfield and defence in the first half. Better forwards than Fulham's would probably have had a couple of goals. Fabianski did well but you can't hope to always outscore the opposition as in some recent games where we have given goals away to lowly teams. Still, I do like to see two up front so you can't have everything I suppose. Who knows how the next few months will pan out.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

To be fair, we came to do an away job and did it. The two chances Kamara had were the worries, everything else I thought was really comfortable. The second half was dull as it was just so easy.

We're much better than them and didn't have to force the issue to prove it.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

kitthehammer wrote:It has to be said that Camara fluffed two decent chances to score and it would have been a very different game. Our defence was certainly flattered by the fact we ended up not letting any in. Any other team would punish us and i count the coming team Watford in that category. Certainly our defence was as bad as theirs first half.
Agreed, the one thing that has really got me worried this season is that against teams below us, in some games, we have decided that the game is won before kick off and therefore fail to give 100% from the off. Brighton and Huddersfield are the 2 games that come to mind and now Fulham, they got at us early and if they had a decent striker we would have been behind.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Fulham
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133099
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Wilko1304 wrote:To be fair, we came to do an away job and did it. The two chances Kamara had were the worries, everything else I thought was really comfortable. The second half was dull as it was just so easy.

We're much better than them and didn't have to force the issue to prove it.
I agree with that. They have some very good individuals and a new very experienced Manager to give them a lift. First 20 minutes they played well, and why wouldnt they given that. We are also a work in progress, but a little further on than them. That for me was the difference.