West Ham Utd 0-2 Watford (22/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Watford FC: match thread

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

I'm pretty sure for the pen that was given, Balbuena would of made the tackle had his studs not got caught in the ground.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Just matched Match of the Day.

Masuaku is a terrible defender.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Masuaku for their second goal was absolutely pathetic.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

No one covered themselves in glory for their second. 4-5 of us round the ball and the pair of them waltzed through us.
Hammerted
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Hammerted »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:I'm pretty sure for the pen that was given, Balbuena would of made the tackle had his studs not got caught in the ground.
That's exactly how I saw it. Thought he was unlucky.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Couldn't decide whether the studs being caught was a freak occurence when he tried to tackle, or whether he changed his mind about tackling at the last second, causing his leg to get stuck in that unnatural position.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

We weren’t good enough, simple as that. Didn’t take any of our chances they took 2 of theirs.

Lee Mason must have thought he was in a pantomime with his comical performance. To have 2 free kicks measured out which were 7 or 8 paces long and clearly not the required 10 yards was a joke. You couldn’t tell which way any decisions might go (for either side). Then there was the Deeney celebration, a yellow card all day long.

People say there weren’t any match defining decisions he got wrong but I’d like to see the Kabasele yellow card again. I didn’t think there was an attempt to play the ball (which is why Balbuena’s was only a yellow), nor any covering defenders - that would’ve left them with only 10 men for most of the 2nd half.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Patito wrote: The wall was a joke though, ref didn’t measure the full 10 properly. It happened a few times and he seemed to have the hump with the fact our players kept requesting the full 10 yards.
That was one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever seen from a ref. I normally have sympathy for them - they’re under pressure and we all make mistakes - but the way he acted after it was pointed out that the wall was nowhere near 10 yards! Pacing out 7 steps and insisting it was 10 ffs rather than admitting he could posssibly be wrong. It’s like when you ask a toddler with chocolate all round their face if they’ve had their hands in the sweetie jar and they look you in the eye and say no.

Dickhead. How does he expect to command respect?
paulsies

Post by paulsies »

Not sure if its been mentioned but there seemed to be fan (think in the north stand) who had taken ill in the first half. Hope they are all right.
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

the pink palermo wrote:They wanted it more. We were second best all afternoon, and got what we deserved.
Exactly that I've read on here that they out muscled, out played WHU etc, the fact is you have to have ALL eleven players with the right mind set prepared to work their socks off completely all the match till the final whistle, and that was difference yesterday. Epitomised with their second goal with Arthur Masuaku standing admiring the ball going in the net, ok it may be it shouldn't have got that far but it did and he had the chance to put a tackle in.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

It’s worth keeping in mind we are really “down to the bare bones”, with a squad that legitimately is weak at left back and defensive midfield. Watford are a good side and are big, physical, athletic and with a couple of very talented players in Perreyra and Delefeou. They ar the type of team that we don’t set up too well against. We were going to gave to be at our best, and we weren’t. The referee also helped them out a lot by letting them get away with a lot of borderline fouls and not punishing them for some bad ones, the worst was when Chicharito was penalized for a shoulder barge that was a fraction of everything Deeney and Doucoure did all day. I think 5e bigger concern are the injuries to Chicharito and More importantly Balbuena, and the fact we desperately need an upgrade at left back.
We were also a bit unlucky with Antonio hitting the woodwork twice, and Chicharito missed a couple he normally wouldn’t have. Not saying we were the better team or deserved to win, but not the end of the world (other than potentially the injuries).
Last edited by Peaches on Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Im a bit surprised by some of the negativity on here. I do not, IMHO, believe that they played better than us or that they deserved to win. They took their chances we didnt simple. Could easily have been 3-1, 3-3, 1-3 or whatever. Perhaps its the dissapointment talking? After all, their MotM was their keeper.

We have had a good run, despite a very serious injury list robbing us of some of our most creative and match deciding players. However, I continue to be entertained with Pellergrini at the helm and thats pretty much my main priority. Talk of top 6 is optomistic to say the least given that many of our injured are long term and we will no doubt get more. A top 10 finish playing good attractive football (and hopefully a goodish cup run) and I will be well pleased.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

It’s worth keeping in mind Watford basically had their first choice XI ou there while we were missing Arnautovic, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Wilshere, and for 60 minutes Balbuena who are all arguably in our first choice XI. We were also missing Sanchez who would have been an option in midfield to combat Doucoure and Capoue.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The 'bare bones' is pushing it.

We have Cresswell and Ogbonna on the bench, Obiang for midfield and Diangana has done enough to be considered a genuine first team squad member. Carroll also starts from the bench.

That's a decent bench.

We also have the option to change the positions of several of yesterday's starters and the shape of the team if need be.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Balbuena did actually touch the ball in that tackle for the pen.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

I know Diangana is Academy so gets a lot of slack but I think he isn’t quite good enough....no real end product. I think he needs a loan to the championship. I think he is at the level of Sears or Cullen
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Marky wrote:I know Diangana is Academy so gets a lot of slack but I think he isn’t quite good enough....no real end product. I think he needs a loan to the championship. I think he is at the level of Sears or Cullen
not getting any slack from me because he's Academy but he's a cracking talent....

maybe with Yarmolenko he would have gone out on loan, but he's exciting whenever he gets the ball..that cross from Snoddy's header was top drawer...
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I like diangara. I like us to have pace on both flanks, especially if we're playing the quick counter game. Too much reliance on anderson for that at the moment.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Marky wrote:I know Diangana is Academy so gets a lot of slack but I think he isn’t quite good enough....no real end product. I think he needs a loan to the championship. I think he is at the level of Sears or Cullen

There always has to be one. Level of Sears. :lol:

He has looked quality every time he has made an appearance for us.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

paulsies wrote:Not sure if its been mentioned but there seemed to be fan (think in the north stand) who had taken ill in the first half. Hope they are all right.
On the stadium thread. Seemed to take longer than necessary for response from stewards/paramedics. Hope the man recovered.