West Ham Utd 0-2 Watford (22/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Watford FC: match thread

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Until the last 4 games I thought we were one of them sides who performed better against attacking teams, now that we have just beaten 4 teams on the bounce that didn't offer too much going forward I am not too sure now. Will Watford come here and be as attacking as Arsenal were at the emirates? I doubt it, I reckon they will come here and sit back and hit us on the break.

Could go either way, our stats are very similar to Watfords, 7 wins 3 draws 7 defeats a peace with 25 goals conceded each, the only difference is that we have bagged 2 more goals(25).
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Given the difficulty we had winning 50/50s against the relative wets of Fulham FC, Deeney and Doucoure are liable to give a torrid time to a few of ours. Not sure there's much of a personnel answer – we don't have a lot of options currently, and none of those are the physical type – this type of fixture used to be the Ginge/Winston/Kouyate type selection – so they'll just have to deal with as best as possible.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Watford hitting a bit of form. deeney in the air worries me a bit. need a good game from diop and Balbuena.
a week between games so zab good to go again.

fab
zab diop Balbuena masuaka
snoddy noble rice
Antonio Hernandez Anderson

subs Adrian cresswell ogbonna obiang diagana carroll silva

2-0 hammers Hernandez and Anderson

usual things apply to us. commitment must be right and to start well.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

TheHandOfDog wrote:Until the last 4 games I thought we were one of them sides who performed better against attacking teams, now
I remember talking with my old man after the Brighton game saying the difference between a good side and a not good side is knowing how to finish a team off.

Against Brighton we controlled every aspect of the game, like you'd imagine a top side would but we didn't finish our chances and get done on the break.

I'd like to think we're past that now. Pellegrini effect is really coming into fruition and we're winning games in different ways. Like a good team would.

Long may it continue.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

hammerman11 wrote:Watford hitting a bit of form. deeney in the air worries me a bit. need a good game from diop and Balbuena.
a week between games so zab good to go again.

fab
zab diop Balbuena masuaka
snoddy noble rice
Antonio Hernandez Anderson

subs Adrian cresswell ogbonna obiang diagana carroll silva

2-0 hammers Hernandez and Anderson

usual things apply to us. commitment must be right and to start well.
Hitting form? They’ve won one in seven...
Patito

Post by Patito »

hammerman11 wrote: masuaka

warmer
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Bottom line, here, is that 6th is definitely in play, for us, Watford and Everton, given the total meltdown that Mourinho and his very expensive failure squad are undergoing at the moment.

And the great thing is that it is now a few matches since Arnautovic, seen by nearly all of us as our best bet for top-scorer this term, even played a full game, or in fact scored.

He must be itching to get back out there.

Think I'd select the fresher Obiang, for Noble this week, but only in circumstances that we would therefore have a decent sub to come on in the second half, to give the passing a new lease of life.

Could accept points shared, here, so long as either Soton or Burnley are next up on our away day three point treats.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Watford are the modern equivalent of Wimbledon, they have some big powerful aggressive players who run all day and a couple of jack in the box types who feed off the work rate around them. We will need to match there graft if we are to get anything.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Quina nailed on to score.
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

As others have said I think this game is massive for pushing us on to an even longer winning run, as it is the hardest game we have over the next 5 (on paper).

They will scrap and fight for every ball and in recent years when we've beaten them it's been our more technical players that have had to shine. When we've tried to scrap with them we have lost.

Glad Antonio has just got a goal as this is the sort of game we need powerful players in. Hernandez and Perez up top against Watford would get bullied. Do worry about our midfield against Doucoure and co but depends if they come and have a go or sit back and look to counter us.

Unchanged XI for me, and if we look too open, move Snodgrass into MF and Antonio out wide.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

have a bad feeling about this game , i'd be happy with a draw
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Patito wrote: warmer
He'll be mentioned next year in hammermans team after we sign him from RB Leipzig. :lol:
Graza

Post by Graza »

Difficult game against a difficult team. Goals written all over it, I think 3-2 one way or the other, against if we can't tighten up our defence, for if we can.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Graza wrote:Difficult game against a difficult team. Goals written all over it, I think 3-2 one way or the other, against if we can't tighten up our defence, for if we can.
Yep, see quite a few goals in this.

I have my usual Monday morning ooohhh this is tricky, will our attitude be right from the 1st minute etc etc.

Watford just come out of a bad run by beating Cardiff, not exactly the toughest game for them and they made it a little hard work towards the end.

If Anderson keeps his form up I see us just as favourites.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

PrawnSandwich wrote:Quina nailed on to score.
As indeed every ex player is always nailed on to score against us :asleep:
Patito

Post by Patito »

StackerJJ wrote: He'll be mentioned next year in hammermans team after we sign him from RB Leipzig. :lol:
Tomo Warmer from RP Lipstick.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Ladzini wrote:As others have said I think this game is massive for pushing us on to an even longer winning run, as it is the hardest game we have over the next 5 (on paper).

e.
Southampton away is by far the harder fixture in my opinion.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Watford's midfield is the reason they win games. Perfect mix of athleticism and technical ability. They retain possession well, create plenty of chances and win the ball back quickly when they do lose it. Will Hughes, Capoue and Cleverley all been out last few games but they haven't missed them at all.

Their defence isn't strong at all though, get past that midfield, get at the defence and we can score a few.

Likewise up top, Deeney will provide a physical battle but we should be able to cope. Deulofeu is a tricky player but will sulk if we cut out his service.

Haven't got a clue how this one will go, 2-2 perhaps?
artlin

Post by artlin »

As said above, 1 win in 7, against Cardiff.

We have 5 wins, 1 draw, 1 lose.

They are not going to be easy, no game is, but I think we are the better side.

Settle for a draw though :D
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Another huge game for young Declan Rice as the likes of Deulofeu, Sema and Pereyra are all quality players when given the time and space. The flip side of that is they look very ordinary and get easily frustrated if you do not give them that time and space.

Their game against Cardiff isn't much of a yard stick as Cardiff really are so poor. Looking back to their trip to Everton gives a much clearer indication of what we are up against.

They are so expansive that we will undoubtedly be gifted opportunities to hit them on the break. Their back four are poor and their keeper has clown'like tendencies so our more attack minded players should be very much looking forward to this.

Simply becomes a case of keeping them quiet in our third. They do have the ability to hurt us and we will need a huge performance from our back four and holding midfield players to keep them out.

I think we can do it, we need to be a lot tighter than we were against Fulham, but I think we will be.

Same line up as Fulham away. Hard to justify any changes and that system (with those players) is adaptable from 4222 to 4231 if needed.