West Ham Utd 0-2 Watford (22/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 462 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Watford FC: match thread

Post by TheHandOfDog »

tugboatpete69 wrote: frustrating as we should be beating this rubbish
They are a good side, they have been sitting very comfortably in the top half all season. We have no right to be beating these....
brownout
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 179 likes

Post by brownout »

We are a mid table side so can’t expect to win all our games against other mid table sides.

The new stadium hasn’t (yet) taken us above the level of the likes of Watford, Wolves and Bournemouth.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1094 likes

Post by Rio »

Watford for me are a modern day equivalent of Wimbledon. Aggressive, niggly, horrible and loathsome. They’ve got quality in midfield but really are a nasty side.
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Rio wrote:Watford for me are a modern day equivalent of Wimbledon. Aggressive, niggly, horrible and loathsome. They’ve got quality in midfield but really are a nasty side.
I think this is quite prevelant, I think Bournemoth are exactly the same! I'm glad we're not like that, but I'm beginning to think we're the odd ones out. Maybe BFS was right, I'm deluded!
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Rio wrote:Watford for me are a modern day equivalent of Wimbledon. Aggressive, niggly, horrible and loathsome. They’ve got quality in midfield but really are a nasty side.
I disagree. They’re a big side and they’re not afraid to put it about, for sure. But there’s more to them than that. They passed it around nicely and at pace too. They can play.
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

The refusal to get 10 yards back at set pieces was getting on my tits too, and Mason clearly wasn't commanding the respect. For Snodgrass' free kick in the first half, they were about 7 yards away FFS.

You can clearly see they rattled us, which is probably why we disappointingly snatched at every chance we had.

C'est la vie. Could have been 3-3. Shame, I wanted to see the look on Deeney's face. Total knobrot.
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1150 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

They were aggressive and physical.....but a couple of their players would walk into our midfield and it showed.

I don’t mind them as a club, but we need to find a way to beat that type of opposition if we want to establish ourselves as near the top of the second mini league within the Prem.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I thought Watford were excellent. Apart from the top 2 teams, they are the only side to deserve to beat us.

There seems to be a complacency when it comes to the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford and Wolves. Too much expectation in a glossy stadium that those Clubs love coming to burst.

If Deeney had been playing for us we would have won. I don’t really get the hate - I quite like seeing throwbacks who don’t look like they should be anywhere near the pitch ruffle feathers.

Got caught with our pants down today.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Doc H Ball wrote:There seems to be a complacency when it comes to the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford and Wolves.
You can't out-pass a team if they win the ball every time it matters.

Our central spine was second best all over today with the possible exception of Diop.

They matched us technically and beat us physically.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

We played like pussys .... sure Watford have some big blokes but so do we .... we lost nearly every 50-50 tackle particularly in midfield ...

Another game where we believed 'we deserved to win' before a ball was kicked ....

Watford are a decent side but so are we ... they won because they wanted it more ... that's disappointing
goa127
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

The first thing I want to say is I didn't see the game today (busy boozing with the neighbours) so I've only watched MOTD. Why all the negativity? two months ago people were worried about staying out of the bottom 3, now suddenly losing to another mid-table team is a sign that we need to buy 5 players. You win some, you lose some. If you win 'em all you're gonna win the league, and we're not. It does show however, that despite doing well without him, Marko is still our main man. Oh, and yes, Arthur is a liability
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

An enjoyable game of football. Watford were marginally better than us. The second goal was pretty academic as we were chasing the game and on another weekend we would have scored 3 or 4. Hernandez could have had 3 (relatively easy chances). If we wasnt creating anything than that would have been a problem. Still a little light in the middle but we’ll play worse and win throughout the season.

Fair play to the manager for hauling off a midfielder and having a go in the last 30.
neathiron
Has liked: 481 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by neathiron »

I am Lawro wrote:Deeney really is one ugly ****, isn't he?
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. That big round head of his reminds me of a punchball. Could gladly practice punch combinations on the horrible twat, something about him has always wound me up.
ayriron
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ayriron »

IronworksDave wrote:We played like pussys .... sure Watford have some big blokes but so do we .... we lost nearly every 50-50 tackle particularly in midfield ...

Another game where we believed 'we deserved to win' before a ball was kicked ....

Watford are a decent side but so are we ... they won because they wanted it more ... that's disappointing
100% :thup:
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

[HH] wrote:The refusal to get 10 yards back at set pieces was getting on my tits too, and Mason clearly wasn't commanding the respect. For Snodgrass' free kick in the first half, they were about 7 yards away FFS.
He was absolutely useless. For that free-kick, he actually started recounting the steps when we complained but clearly stopped when he got to 7 and just sprayed there! Bonkers.

He was awful at adjudicating all the 50-50 challenges giving some really weird decisions (both ways). One of the worst was when Nobes got caught in possession fannying about just outside our own box and just threw himself down, but, luckily for us, got the free-kick. There were many similar both ways. Sometimes, he gave things as soon as someone fell over and others he allowed clear fouls, where players won possession without touching the ball, to go.

There was one incident where Antonio forced his way past a couple of fouls and then the Watford player just stood in his way and obstructed him, completely missing the ball, but he gave a foul to them. Simply awful.
kentishiron
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by kentishiron »

goa127 wrote:The first thing I want to say is I didn't see the game today (busy boozing with the neighbours) so I've only watched MOTD. Why all the negativity? two months ago people were worried about staying out of the bottom 3, now suddenly losing to another mid-table team is a sign that we need to buy 5 players. You win some, you lose some. If you win 'em all you're gonna win the league, and we're not. It does show however, that despite doing well without him, Marko is still our main man. Oh, and yes, Arthur is a liability
Arthur was one of our better players today
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Overall I thought they had our measure and were the better side.

We had our moments - especially Hernandez and even more so Antonio (how did he miss?).

But overall, we were second best and you can't win them all.

Brings us down to earth a little bit and sets up the next game nicely.

:crest:
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

I think that Watford and the ref affected us early doors. Watford were niggly little fouls stopped us building any momentum.

We hustled and bustled but couldn't get it going.

I don't think we were terrible and we certainly worked hard, another day the Hernandez and Antonio chances go in.

Watford did a good job on us though and the ref I thought was garbage.

Antonio, Rice, Zaba and Snodgrass all worked tirelessly, it's a day to forget Anderson and Chicha.

Mention to Ogbonna also who was brilliant when he came on.

On to the next, this will be a sign if we've turned a corner if we can get back on track.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Doc H Ball wrote:
If Deeney had been playing for us we would have won. I don’t really get the hate - I quite like seeing throwbacks who don’t look like they should be anywhere near the pitch ruffle feathers.

Got caught with our pants down today.
Deeney is probably my favourite non-west ham player.
I can only begin to imagine how he gets them going in the dressing room

They are a good side. Doucore and Capoue as good a central midfield pairing outside the top six and got some guile in the likes of Deufoulou.
Still think we will finish above them though
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Second best on the day, we had our chances and did not take them, the second half bringing on No ( did not help in any way, offered little, we could have had a least one point!