Southampton 1-2 West Ham Utd (27/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 800 likes
Total likes: 3015 likes

Re: ⚽ Southampton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by the pink palermo »

Georgee Paris wrote:Hugill, Carroll, Fernandez, Oxford...
Most of which will be spent on a new deal for Rice.....

Your go
brothernero
Has liked: 741 likes
Total likes: 752 likes

Post by brothernero »

Puff Daddy wrote:Loads moan about the rubbish bent refs we've suffered this season and rightly so too, so let's balance things up a little and give a mention to tonight's ref, who was really very good. Think he got every decision spot on

Can never tell with you Puff so will ask just in case Sarcasm right?
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Puff Daddy wrote:I also thought our lovely kit was very befitting of our performance. No other team has one quite like it. I think it's those yellow socks, which I know are just not us, but they do compliment that kit
Odd. I just logged back on to mention that I have fallen in love with that kit. Maybe its the beers. I’ll check again tomorrow.
WCpete
Has liked: 1474 likes
Total likes: 3162 likes

Post by WCpete »

Ludeksgloves wrote:Love Pellegrini post match interview. He’s measured, honest and has great class. He is winning me over.
Were you ever in doubt?
Yeah, a little bit. He won the title with Mancini's squad, and when we played them in 15/16 his side was underwhelming in both matches. Not that I didn't think he was a good manager, I just had a nominal understanding of what he's about. Well, he's a man of substance and intelligence, and I'm now a fan.
Last edited by WCpete on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bowltorious
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by bowltorious »

We were excellent again. On the game we deserved to win more convincingly. Their goal was handball, I don't think its a foul in the area for our second at all to be honest and I think our penalty appeal that didn't get mentioned was far more blatent. Cresswell is better than Masuaku, Diop, Rice, Anderson all quality but Antonio was MOTM for me, been much improved the last month.

On a side note I dont know you Peaches but I raise a glass to you and your old man, I never knew my dad because he died when I was one so I hope you only remember the good times you shared and all he taught you. That win tonight was for you and your dad.

I also raise a glass to Pellegrini and the boys for bringing back the West Ham we know and love and f*** all the haters and pundits that ask what is the West Ham way and that we are over-expectant as suppporters, they dont know ****!

I raise a glass for every single one of you tw@ts on here, even the ones that chat rubbish.

I raise a glass for West Ham as a club and a community, despite the board we still come through! Remember we as supporters all want the same thing despite what we say.

We are West Ham, we win when we want!

Irons! Irons! Irons! May be a JD and coke fueled message but f*** it! :crest: :scarfer:
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Surprisingly decent and grounded reaction from their fans... :o

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread. ... CVbTKQo-Ec
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1970 likes
Total likes: 1654 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cresswell with 103 touches - 81.5% pa
Antonio with 100 - 71.2% pa

Rice with unsurprisingly 92% on 56 touches -

Oggie with 7 clearances, 3 interceptions, 4 aerial duels won
johnk1
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by johnk1 »

First live game I've been to since Bournemouth away last year. Noticeable difference in the way we set up and impressive composure (most of the time!) on the ball. Loved the second goal on the break - great performances all round but for me Rice and Cresswell stood out. Anderson very quiet first half but showed his quality in the second.

Tough going having to sit in with the locals and keep quiet, great noise from a packed away end.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Ludeksgloves wrote:Surprisingly decent and grounded reaction from their fans... :o
StrangelyBrown wrote:Join Date Aug 2007 Posts 143
Beaten by a better side and two poor refereeing decisions. Clear pen and once again Carroll gets away with gbh

We've got to get better players into the side than targett, long and Austin.
Interesting comment on their 4m pound striker that many here were demanding we spend 15m on.

I assume the penalty to which he is referring was the tussle as the ball was cleared for our second goal.
Never a penalty in that situation.Unless he means the bodycheck on Snodgrass?
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WCpete
Has liked: 1474 likes
Total likes: 3162 likes

Post by WCpete »

Saints fans are being realistic on their site, apart from blaming the ref. If we're going to be pedantic, their goal shouldn't have counted. Redmond handled the ball into the net. It was going wide otherwise. Mustn't be churlish though, fair play to them for giving credit where it's due.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 754 likes
Total likes: 3481 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Ludeksgloves wrote:This team is better than that payet season. There. I said it.
And on paper, the best is yet to come - we've not seen Lanzini with Anderson, Reid as an experienced, guiding head alongside Diop or Wilshere assisting youngest Declan etc.

I don't know about any mythical associations with the distant past but this has the potential to be the most adventurous West Ham team I can recall in the last 32 years or so. And rarely before that too.

It's all because in Pellegrini and his vastly experienced (back room) team we have inherited the most important ingredient, that of a winning mentality. And, as unpopular as this may be, and with credit where it is rightly due, that's down to Dave Sullivan Snr and his team!
mattyD wrote:just for god's sake get Rice in a room with a very large contract and don't let him out till he's signed it, won't be long before he's playing for one of the best teams in the world.
I reckon we're probably still one or two short Matty, but I admire your positivity and feel I can learn from this.
Barking Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by Barking Iron »

Peaches im sorry for your loss I hope your old man would be looking down with sir Robert GreenwoodL Lyall and co and be salivating at the thought of a team that continues to crack on regardless of injuries when everyones fit were gonna be a force
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

Good performance from us.

Rice had a great game (lucky not to give away a pen, mind), as did Cresswell.

Fabianski made some delightful saves. For the first time in ages, i feel confident in the keeper, and so must our defenders. Oggy came in and performed admirably.

Andersen is going to be one of those players that frustrates and delights in equal measure.

Hes still too lazy in getting back at times, but i reckon that will slowly improve too.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Thanks mate, he got to see 3 FA Cup wins,,, I’m convinced the reason we didn’t win in 2006 was because he didn’t make the journey to Cardiff, hopefully he’s enjoying talking about this victory with Lyall and Greenwood ( the former was a patient of his), and maybe we all get to see another Cup in May,
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

Not long got home, sat in Southampton end opposite our away support who were tremendous all night long, absolute credit to the club by the way.

Thought we were terrific, Anderson magical, Rice assured and Fabianski is superb. The best keeper in my time supporting West Ham.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

S-H wrote:The mystic man of Storr, strikes again.
Just as well, 'the voices' worked, the entrails have gone a bit quiet, lately..
#InTOMoSWeTrust..
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

A remarkable result.

Southampton are no mugs, and we really played in an assured manner and never looked like the goal was going to be insurmountable.

The responsibility Rice takes is an example to all young players in the same position. An old head on young shoulders and he is becoming such an incredibly indispensable part of the club. Anderson is a flair player who can deliver in difficult circumstances. Snodgrass has been a credit to himself and has made himself an important part of the team.

I think the fact that we were missing eleven players and could still control an away game like that shows what we are dealing with with Pelligrini.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

Never expected this win well deserved our support made me proud to be a hammer brilliant
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Peaches wrote: I really hope the boys put on a display tomorrow to send him off.
Don’t know you mate, but I did have a smile as the whistle went thinking of your post :thup:
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 509 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Watching the highlights I love the way Anderson struck the ball for both goals, but the second was a thoroughbred Brazilian...he got in under it with a bit of a hook with his body over it and got it high enough...voooompf!

Also love there were 3 in support of Anderson! With Diop running into position for a possible rebound :scarfer:

Some lovely stuff altogether!