Southampton 1-2 West Ham Utd (27/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: ⚽ Southampton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by RayleighIrons »

Doc H Ball wrote:Queuing to get into nick

EH? :?
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Just watched the game which I missed last night - whilst Saints were pretty poor, I thought we played really well and loads of positives to take from it.

Most importantly, we played as a team and were solid and generally consistent throughout. We were really composed in defence and were a joy to watch going forward.

Fab made some crucial saves and really does give the defence confidence and I thought Cresswell really responded well to being made captain for the game .... which can only help him in the future.

Rice was a delight to watch and the Bobby/Billy comparisons are getting more and more justified. I watched the second goal several times and it was wonderful to see us break so swiftly and the composure of Anderson in taking the goal - brilliant to see. Also it is great to see Snodders play - and the change from his first season with us.

Pellers is making us really enjoyable to watch, and a good end to the year.

Needless to say, a big shout to our travelling support, you were great last night - loud and created most of the atmosphere!! :crest:
Last edited by pablo jaye on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

dodger wrote:Carroll’s biggest threat is that other teams think he is a threat.

:lol:
I'm someone who is quite happy for him to come on for the last 20*: battering ram, all charge, tan-ta-ra etc but occasionally the annoying footballing voices in my head ask why he keeps drifting somewhere between the edge of the 18 yard box and the touchline** every other time a cross comes in*** . . . He does it often enough I have to assume the gaffer is telling him to do it. And our previous gaffer. And our previous previous gaffer. And our previous previous previous gaffer etc ad nauseum

*i'm also someone who has called him a donkey on at least 334 occasions, sorry if you are Andy Carrol's mum and you're reading this site

**ooh, just a thought, maybe he literally doesn't know where the back of the net is maybe we should put something on google maps. Or more realistically maybe we should dangle a six-pack of Tenants and a dozen babycham from the crossbar, he'll never leave the six yard box then.

***actually all of this makes sense but only if he is getting the corner flag mixed up with the goal. Easy enough to do, I mean we've all done it
Patito

Post by Patito »

Ludeksgloves wrote:Surprisingly decent and grounded reaction from their fans... :o

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread. ... CVbTKQo-Ec

Barely a mention of Redmond's handball finish as they slate the ref...
rciron
Has liked: 298 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Puff Daddy wrote:Loads moan about the rubbish bent refs we've suffered this season and rightly so too, so let's balance things up a little and give a mention to tonight's ref, who was really very good. Think he got every decision spot on
Craig Pawson has been poor for us in the past, but thought he was very good last night, would even go as far as to say one of the best this season, not too hard when compared to the cheat Lee Mason (7 steps) who simply made himself look a proper c*nt :lol:
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Seeing one of our CB's running box to box for our second was kin brilliant. Best !manager we have had in yonks.

Unfortunately I can say with great confidence that the so called "project" is complete and utter bullshite by our hideous owners.

This will be proved by the summer i suspect.
neathiron
Has liked: 481 likes
Total likes: 335 likes

Post by neathiron »

Irrons wrote:I could watch our second over and over again. Pure clinical counter-attacking perfection; a storming run and sublime ball from Antonio with an absolute belter of a finish from Anderson sending our away crowd into raptures

Love it

:scarfer:
I've watched both goals over and over, but when that 2nd goes in it's one of them moments where I wish I was in that crowd, great watching it on TV but would have been amazing to be in amongst our lot going nuts. Crowd seemed a lot more animated than perhaps celebrating an home goal, with plenty of movement in the stand, bet a few people ended up a few seats away from where they originally were lol. Desperate to get to an away game again soon, seems a so much better atmosphere.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Seeing one of our CB's running box to box for our second was kin brilliant.
It's the kind of goal that's happened to us countless times, used to happen so frequently under Bilic from our own corners.

And it just shows you what a bit of ambition can do - Antonio's ball didn't even need to be that good, given that we had 4-5(?) players up in support.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 242 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Pellers got it tactically right last night.

Rice was an absolute rock in the centre of midfield and gave our back 4 a huge amount of protection, which in turn, allows our back 4 to get in shape. Obiang was quiet but in a good way. He was solid along Rice. Fabs didn't have a lot to do but when called upon pulled off some fantastic saves.

Pellers tactics of attacking down the wings was spot on against the saints. Both flanks were an excellent source of attack and allowed us to control the centre of the park. Both Antonio and Cresswell helped the wide men in attack. Quick passing by us stopped the high pressing game of the saints and they eventually tired,

Antonio had a few moments where he was exposed positionally and I would expect stronger teams to exploit that (if he plays there again).

Perez was probably our worst player. Doesn't seem to bust a gut or have the nous to play as an out to out striker. Times he was waving his hand in the air or shaking his head at our players if the play broke down or he didn't get the ball played to him on a sixpence.

Anderson is coming into his own now. What a player he is going to be. I think he prefers it with Cresswell behind him as he knows he is a better player and doesn't have to bust a gut (so much) to get back to help out the left back. Pellers in his interview, said about Anderson losing the ball with it at his feet a lot and he must learn this. Brilliant man management there for me. Yes he is a brilliant player but he must keep learning. If he is doing this with the whole squad, then excellent. Drill into them that they got to keep learning and the football will come.

One of the better performances as a team last night. It seems like it is starting to come together and pundits are, at last, recognising this.

As I said, Pellers got this spot on and we are starting to look like a top half table team that can play football and other teams starting to look at us and fear playing us.

COYI :crest:
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

steps wrote:Anderson does track back, and his stats prove this.

But you don’t want your best attacking players constantly tracking back, when will people get this around their heads?
This.

Also, you have to consider what's most likely -

(1) Pellegrini has told Anderson when to track back and when not to. Obviously Pellegrini insists that Anderson works hard, but he also wants him to be ready to help West Ham score on the break so he can't have Anderson defending for 90 minutes.

(2) Despite 6 months of coaching Anderson ignores what Pellegrini says and is pretty lazy. Pellegrini continues to pick him every week despite being unable to trust him to do what he's told.

Presumably the truth has to be one of those things, which seems to be the one most likely to be true? Not (2) IMHO.
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

Watching West Ham now, I like to win of course, but if we are going to play passing football with committment like that and hit teams on the break, then if we lose so be it.

These really are exciting times gentlemen!
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 703 likes
Total likes: 1634 likes

Post by chalks »

neathiron wrote:I've watched both goals over and over, but when that 2nd goes in it's one of them moments where I wish I was in that crowd, great watching it on TV but would have been amazing to be in amongst our lot going nuts. Crowd seemed a lot more animated than perhaps celebrating an home goal, with plenty of movement in the stand, bet a few people ended up a few seats away from where they originally were lol. Desperate to get to an away game again soon, seems a so much better atmosphere.
It was better than you could imagine. Lost my voice, what a great night finished off with a couple of large whiskies in the hotel bar :raver:
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

Chalks :thup:

Hope you're well bud
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 703 likes
Total likes: 1634 likes

Post by chalks »

I’m good Ozza, hope it’s likewise pal :thup:
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

Noisey southampton yesterday eve you could hear our away support all over the place they reckon :scarfer:
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

I'm all good mate, you boys did us proud last night, outstanding singing.... sounded superb on the TV. :thup:
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Ozza wrote:I'm all good mate, you boys did us proud last night, outstanding singing.... sounded superb on the TV. :thup:
Absolutely :thup:
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Off topic was Zaba rested or was he injured or something I watched it in a pub with the commentary muted
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

JLCABA wrote:Off topic was Zaba rested or was he injured or something I watched it in a pub with the commentary muted
Touch of Barney Mcgrew.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 376 likes

Post by Phil S »

[/quote]I've watched both goals over and over, but when that 2nd goes in it's one of them moments where I wish I was in that crowd, great watching it on TV but would have been amazing to be in amongst our lot going nuts. Crowd seemed a lot more animated than perhaps celebrating an home goal, with plenty of movement in the stand, bet a few people ended up a few seats away from where they originally were lol. Desperate to get to an away game again soon, seems a so much better atmosphere.[/quote]

Fair play to the saints fans, giving it out as well as taking it..

But us singing their song and changing the words is a highlight for me

Oh when the saints go 2 - 1 down...