Burnley FC 2-0 West Ham Utd: Match Thread (30/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Re: ⚽ Burnley FC v West Ham Utd: Match Thread (30/12)

Post by Clucking Bell »

Don't know if Obiang was injured but, this was definitely a game for him and Rice to have won the midfield battle and actually get hold of the ****ing football for more than three seconds at a time.

Let's be honest, Cresswell, Rice, Antonio and Carroll were the only four players who weren't absolutely ****ing awful today.

2-0 flattered us. Towards the end of the first half and in the first five minutes of the second, they had about six opportunities that half of us would have buried.

Once again, we've missed a very good opportunity to go to the top of our mid-table mini-league which is, frankly, ****ing irritating.
brownout
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 179 likes

Post by brownout »

Those complaining about distance travelled for these two away games. Our owners chose to move to a stadium where we can't play on Boxing Day so we will have to accept two away games in a row and one may be a long trip.
kentishiron
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by kentishiron »

Really missed Obiang today, I never want to see Noble in a midfield 2 again
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Weeks ago a mate of mine was complaining about the unfairness of us having to play on Thursday night when everyone else played on Boxing Day. Looks like he called it right:

West Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini:

"It was frustrating because we wanted to win this game and had the chance to be seventh. We lacked energy to win it. We had a flight at that arrived 2am in the morning after playing Southampton.

"In defending, possession and attacking the team lacked energy. We improved a little bit more once we made changes.

"I was happy until 2 o'clock today. This was a game we were able to win - Burnley was in a bad moment but they played with intensity. Burnley recovered better because they had 30 or 35 hours more."
Last edited by WestHamIFC on Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Who was that Burnley defender who fouled Carroll and then tried to pretend that he had been elbowed by AC knowing he was on a yellow? That was outrageous cheating.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

jacko wrote:Who was that Burnley defender who fouled Carroll and then tried to pretend that he had been elbowed by AC knowing he was on a yellow? That was outrageous cheating.
Tarkowski.

The same cheating **** who should’ve been sent off against us in the home game. The same cheating **** who fouled his own man who then wanted Carroll to get done for it.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Yes, that's was shameless cheating on his part. I don't think I've seen anything that blatant for some time.
wavey

Post by wavey »

I notice Perez wasn't pointing at the name on his shirt today :lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1964 likes
Total likes: 1649 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Rice - 59 touches - 93% pa
Noble - 57 - 84%
Cresswell - 82 - 83%
Anderson - 68 - 64%

and to confirm bubbles comments:

Westwood - 76 - 88%
Cork - 47 - 86%

n.b.

Antonio - 96 - 70% not singling him out as we were crap - but for a FB with that many touches, he gave the ball away a lot which didn't help ease the pressure.....

biggest mistake I think was Pellers starting Arnie.....
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

My_Sobriquet wrote:We are making them look like Man City.

Humiliating
Welcome to West Ham United.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Worst performance of the season.

They took the piss out of us. We couldn’t handle the long balls, they found it easy to skip midfield and when we stepped up they scared us by putting it in behind.

Exposed Antonio and Diop often, Arnie was off the pace and isn’t as good centrally in behind a striker.

Carroll was booked for being Carroll.

They get away with a lot but we got away lucky to only lose two nil.
Ingwe
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

Better side won and good luck to them.
For such highly paid professional athletes our lot sure as hell played like a bunch of knackered pussies! Too many mince pies.
Get back to some serious training and effort. Let's get some consistency going. And not consistently knackered. :crest:
Believer
Has liked: 1421 likes
Total likes: 759 likes

Post by Believer »

I’m glad that MP highlighted the rest period that Burnley had. A nice little pointer to GSB about the OS deal. It really is shambolic and could have a huge influence on us progressing. Opportunity to go 7th and really kick on the 2nd half of the season but now we return to “our” place to play a Brighton side who will be confident having beaten us the last 3 times we’ve played and also beating Everton.

They are possibly the worst team I’d want to face on the 2nd as Hughton will try and stifle us in the same way Dyche did today. We need to be on our game for sure...
traxop

Post by traxop »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Rice - 59 touches - 93% pa
Noble - 57 - 84%
Cresswell - 82 - 83%
Anderson - 68 - 64%

and to confirm bubbles comments:

Westwood - 76 - 88%
Cork - 47 - 86%

n.b.

Antonio - 96 - 70% not singling him out as we were crap - but for a FB with that many touches, he gave the ball away a lot which didn't help ease the pressure.....

biggest mistake I think was Pellers starting Arnie.....
Interesting stats. When both Noble and Rice are registering less touches than our wide men by a margin, it just reinforces my feeling throughout the game that our midfield just weren't on it today. They weren't in position to offer themselves as an outlet when the likes of Antonio, Cress and Anderson were being trapped on the touchline.

The recycling of the ball back into the midfield had been something of a hallmark we've been developing under Pellers. I genuinely thought Rice had a poor game today, he was too far away from our ball carrier and far too static which meant that our players were reluctant to pass to him with his man hovering close by. But, I guess that's understandable given Rice has played every minute of this Christmas schedule and it's bound to catch up to him at some point.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: biggest mistake I think was Pellers starting Arnie.....
yes, I agree. I think he should have given Carroll the first half and then Arnie the second, or vice versa.

BUt our players looked tired. I think quite a few of them need a rest but with all our injury problems it's very tough.
Patito

Post by Patito »

In the immortal words of William McKenzie - “Burnley can f*** off”.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by costa75 »

I had a feeling that Dyche would get a good performance out of his team today and he certainly did.

However, we were poor in the extreme.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Patito wrote:In the immortal words of William McKenzie - “Burnley can **** off”.

Bad day to be in the with home fans...
delbert
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 699 likes

Post by delbert »

Patito wrote:In the immortal words of William McKenzie - “Burnley can **** off”.
I was thinking the exact same thing....... :thup:
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

brownout wrote:Those complaining about distance travelled for these two away games. Our owners chose to move to a stadium where we can't play on Boxing Day so we will have to accept two away games in a row and one may be a long trip.
Even if you play away on Boxing Day ,by the way we did not ,it was a day later ,why can't you play the next one at home,we was not the only club that had to do it,just poor by whoever worked out the fixtures .