West Ham Utd 2-2 Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01/19)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby Denzil on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:13 pm

Noble stopping Anderson quickly taking the free kick in the 92nd minute and shouting at Antonio to get into the box for it, little things like that no other player on the pitch takes control of. Hopefully Rice steps into that roll and takes the baton from Noble in the future.
User avatar
Denzil
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:22 pm

Denzil wrote:Noble stopping Anderson quickly taking the free kick in the 92nd minute and shouting at Antonio to get into the box for it

While I get your point in general, I actually thought that was a terrible decision. We weren't a threat from aerial balls and set pieces. We should have taken a quick, short free kick and run at them.
We wasted our own limited time by holding it up, allowing Brighton to get back and get organised, and trying a set piece we are hopeless at (and Brighton's defence good at).
EDIT
Sorry, Denzil - I rewatched the last two minutes a second time and spotted what you're referring too. Noble had however been looking to take a quick free-kick himself until Pellegrini stopped him.
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Crossd_Hammrs
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby wizzo_66 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:24 pm

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:We should have taken a quick, short free kick and run at them.


There was about 14 seconds left on the clock.
User avatar
wizzo_66
 
Posts: 9573
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Long Live the Boleyn

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby My_Sobriquet on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:While I get your point in general, I actually thought that was a terrible decision. We weren't a threat from aerial balls and set pieces. We should have taken a quick, short free kick and run at them.
We wasted our own limited time by holding it up, allowing Brighton to get back and get organised, and trying a set piece we are hopeless at (and Brighton's defence good at).


And Brighton have been notoriously poor at defending set pieces this season.
User avatar
My_Sobriquet
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby My_Sobriquet on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:39 pm

Our main two problems last night were our defence from set pieces... corners are as good as penalties against us.

AND

Movement off the ball. I don't know if it is fatigue or attitude but against Watford and against Brighton our biggest issue was people moving into space off the ball. It is hard to blame the midfield in either of those games when they are consistently having to play the ball sideways and backwards or dwelling on it, often losing possession. Even from throw ins I lost count of the amount of times Cresswell particularly stood there at a throw in bemused at the fact not one player was showing for the ball. Hugely frustrating for the players and the fans alike.
User avatar
My_Sobriquet
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:42 pm

wizzo_66 wrote:There was about 14 seconds left on the clock.
By the time we eventually took it. There were two minutes left when Anderson first attempted to take it.
If there were only 14 secs left, all the more reason to take it pretty quickly, before the ref blows for time without the kick being taken (as has happened to us this season already).
EDIT I must have a different incident. The one I just rewatched: Freekick awarded at 92:20 - Noble was fouled. He stands up to take the freekick, but then turns open-mouthed to the sidelines and pulls a puzzled expression. He looks over a couple of times before leaving the kick to Anderson. Anderson then ponders the situation. Starts toward the ball then hesitates and retreats. Waits, looks over to the sideline, wipes his nose. Waits a bit more. Takes the kick with 50-odd seconds remaining. In fairness we win the initial header around the penalty spot, unfortunately it's not at all a threat and is heading out of play at the corner of the 18 yard box, until Arnie ploughs into the back of the shepherding defender conceding a free-kick. By contrast, Brighton retrieve the ball and take that free-kick in less than 20s (ours took almost a minute).
EDIT 2
Okay, I see Denzil's incident occurs halfway through the situation I described. After leaving the ball Noble walks upfield to the edge of the box. Antonio has stayed out wide on the right, and the reason Anderson bcktracks from the ball is because Noble suddenly starts shouting and waving his hands to stop, before waving Antonio to come into the centre. My confusion arose because Denzil mentioned Noble stopping a "quick free-kick", but Noble was initially going to take it, then Anderson waited for him and the centre-backs to get upfield, before being stopped.
Antonio won the header, by the way - heading it into the area he had just left himself :lol:
My_Sobriquet wrote:And Brighton have been notoriously poor at defending set pieces this season.
Have they? I haven't watched any of their other matches, but they seemed to cope comfortably last night. I don't recall us being a threat with them with in the previous 90 mins, and consider them one of our weak points (both attacking and defending set pieces).
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Crossd_Hammrs
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:42 pm

That last minute free-kick was so West Ham.
If another team had a free-kick in a similar fashion they would not mess about but get it right in the mixer and more than likely cause a whole host of problems.
We, on the other hand, mess about for ages deciding what to do with it and then are not threatening at all

it would be the same with a corner in the last minute. If we conceded one we would almost certainly be in trouble, however if we got one it would be toothless

We have been like that for as long as I can remember!
Crouchend_Hammer
 
Posts: 11117
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:46 pm

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:Have they? I haven't watched any of their other matches, but they seemed to cope comfortably last night. I don't recall us being a threat with them with in the previous 90 mins, and consider them one of our weak points (both attacking and defending set pieces).


it doesn't matter how good a team is at defending set pieces. If you are forced to defend one in the last minute, and the delivery is half decent, all sorts of things can happen. Defenders will be very nervous and the opportunity is rife for mistakes.

AS i said in my previous post, we have always been shocking at taking advantage of those type of situations but also very suspect to them defensively!
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer
 
Posts: 11117
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby Sir_Trevor on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:01 pm

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:it doesn't matter how good a team is at defending set pieces. If you are forced to defend one in the last minute, and the delivery is half decent, all sorts of things can happen. Defenders will be very nervous and the opportunity is rife for mistakes.

AS i said in my previous post, we have always been shocking at taking advantage of those type of situations but also very suspect to them defensively!


Arnie (for obvious reasons) is fairly immune to criticism, but that free-kick was potentially quite threatening with the defender hemmed in his own box right on the goal line when Arnie decided to give him an easy way out by shoving him in the back. That was very frustrating.
User avatar
Sir_Trevor
 
Posts: 2994
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:09 pm

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:23 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:...

I agree.
For me the issue wasn't so much the type of free-kick we took, but that we took so long doing it.
If it had really been the last minute then, fine, get all your pawns in place for one last assault. But there were two minutes left and it was pretty much midfield, Noble was about to take a quickie, and I thought we stood a better chance playing through.

I couldn't work out if we were going for it or time-wasting for a draw.
Just before the free kick, Diop takes a throw in from near the halfway line. He has three unmarked teammates level with him, with no Brigton players near them. Instead he throws it back to Fabianski, in fact it's a weak throw and Fabianski has to come ten yards outside his area to collect it. He plays a ten yard pass to Ogbonna, who was open for the throw-in in the first place and ran back from the halfway line to collect it - poor guy ran about 70 yards to be back where he could have received the ball in the first place.

I'm a little bit concerned that halfway through the season we still don't seem to know what to do in certain situations - nearly all set pieces of any kind.
On the free kick we were discussing, Antonio initially stayed out wide, before the free kick was held up for him to be beckoned into the middle - but 30 seconds had elapsed before anyone thought he ought to be there Headbanger
Maybe Pellegrini focusues on open play, and I deserve BFS as manager.
User avatar
Crossd_Hammrs
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby IG8Hammer on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Brighton at home is a game I would have expected us to win on paper, however yesterday in the first half I think was the worst I've seen us play at home all season.

Sluggish, lazy passing, no imagination, constantly losing the ball and being second best etc. We seemed to constantly try and play the ball through the middle, and ignoring Anderson/Zabs on the wings. Hardly a single forward pass seemed to be completed.

I don't want to slag off Carroll, but it didn't look like he even jumped for most of the headers which came his way.

On the plus side, to come back from two goals down always takes determination, and almost feels like a victory. It was this type of game where I really appreciated Noble coming on. The ground was on the fullest I've seen it this season and despite the performance and fact we weren't playing a 'big' team/rival, the atmosphere was pretty good at times.
IG8Hammer
 
Posts: 2637
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:57 pm

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby Upton Carp on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:28 pm

Even when we play badly we are still easier on the eye that the likes of Brighton & HA, Burnley and their ilk. They are thugs, pure and simple. Thankfully we have not slid down to their level, nor will we. That is the West Ham way.

:crest:
Upton Carp
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:32 pm

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:47 pm

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:I agree.
For me the issue wasn't so much the type of free-kick we took, but that we took so long doing it.
If it had really been the last minute then, fine, get all your pawns in place for one last assault. But there were two minutes left and it was pretty much midfield, Noble was about to take a quickie, and I thought we stood a better chance playing through.

I couldn't work out if we were going for it or time-wasting for a draw.
Just before the free kick, Diop takes a throw in from near the halfway line. He has three unmarked teammates level with him, with no Brigton players near them. Instead he throws it back to Fabianski, in fact it's a weak throw and Fabianski has to come ten yards outside his area to collect it. He plays a ten yard pass to Ogbonna, who was open for the throw-in in the first place and ran back from the halfway line to collect it - poor guy ran about 70 yards to be back where he could have received the ball in the first place.

I'm a little bit concerned that halfway through the season we still don't seem to know what to do in certain situations - nearly all set pieces of any kind.
On the free kick we were discussing, Antonio initially stayed out wide, before the free kick was held up for him to be beckoned into the middle - but 30 seconds had elapsed before anyone thought he ought to be there Headbanger
Maybe Pellegrini focusues on open play, and I deserve BFS as manager.


As I mentioned in my original match summary, i was disappointed with the last 15 minutes. We did very well to get back into the game and it was ripe for us going on and taking the three points, but we seemed to get quite nervous and ran out of ideas again.
If anything Brighton looked a little more dangerous in the last five
Crouchend_Hammer
 
Posts: 11117
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby Up the Junction on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:57 pm

The opposition view: Brighton & Hove Albion
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=133140
User avatar
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
 
Posts: 52105
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:03 am

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby westhamgardner on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Brighton & Hove Albion
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=133140

Pretty rational to be fair regarding last nights game, they aren't as good a team as they think they are though
User avatar
westhamgardner
 
Posts: 1487
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:40 pm
Location: Saaf of the river

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby Up the Junction on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:16 pm

Post-match press conference: Manuel Pellegrini v Brighton & Hove Albion [audio]
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133139
User avatar
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
 
Posts: 52105
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:03 am

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby Jon on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:18 pm

First half was a a shocker.

If Noble is to be benched Obiang must drive the team forward. He can't seem to do it. Rarely steps forward with the ball.. He has the ability but chooses the easy pass more often than not. Doesn't fancy the responsibility.

Couldn't understand why Anderson and Snodgrass weren't switched at some point. Both kept coming inside into heavy traffic. We only had one corner!

Spoke to BHA fans on the way home who were relieved Mike didn't start.

MP could and should have started with a different side or at least change it much quicker than he did. Perez for AC made little sense. Diangana could easily have played ahead of either. You have to run at defenders as Antonio proves time and again. They hate it!
User avatar
Jon
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:31 pm
Location: Still in the past..

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby oldskool on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Samba wrote:At least...Brighton also don't really look like scoring..
F**king 'ell, I'm really tempting fate tonight..

Not only can you see loads of empty seats, you can hear how low the crowd numbers are in, tonight. Us with our 60k ground now, an' all..
I don't blame people, mind. It is a cold night & Brighton.
Still a good move, Sully, you stupid, greedy c**t?


Total disaster, this ticketing lark.

Exiled Hammer here, home is the Far East, and has been for a decade.
Work brought me back to Europe, all arranged short notice... I no longer have a season ticket, but I obviously try to squeeze in a match. No flipping chance!

Along with a ragbag of casual Hammers fans and tourists, I try my luck, but allegedly, it's "another sell-out", that's what I am being told by the ticket office(s), the stewards and the two ladies in the supporters service tent.

So I end up drowning my sorrows in the Carpenters Arms, Tetley's in hand, watching the match on telly. So near, yet so far. And seemingly hundreds of empty seats all across the stadium... :fsake:

There MUST be a better way ...
oldskool
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:42 pm

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Postby vietnammer on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:41 pm

The times I've used the Tickets Forum bush-telegraph on here it's been very effective.
User avatar
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
 
Posts: 25721
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:31 am
Location: Those little golden birdies look at them

Previous

Return to KUMB Match Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest