West Ham Utd 2-2 Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Post by Irrons »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:Can't comment on any initial pull, but "merest brush"? Dunk had two hands around his waist and was virtually getting a piggy back ride. Arnie might have been strong enough to stay up, but the chance was lost by then - and it was a foul, therefore a penalty. There was much more contact than the recent Salah incident and that other soft Liverpool penalty at the weekend.

Arnie was being tugged back repeatedly on his first goal too.
The whole Brighton defence was very grabby in open play. And elbowy! Anderson was repeatedly being blatantly pulled until another defender could get back gto double-up on him.

Looking at the second Brighton goal again, while Ogbonna is doing some obvious wrestling off-the-ball and away from the action, Zabaleta, initially leaning into his player at the back post, gets physically dragged away from it, leaving it open for the ball to go through that area for the goal.
Agreed they were grabtastic all game, same as Burnley and Watford - and the ref did nothing. We really can't handle these types of sides at the moment
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

Tough call for Pellers Saturday, many in need of a rest but Birmingham is no gimme and too many will probably see us go out.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Terrible performance by us, Pellegrini doesn't get too much wrong usually, but last 2 games, he has, it is difficult though with all of our injuries. I can't wait till Nasri is running our midfield with Rice.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

As predicted, it was a draw. And under those circumstances I will certainly take it. How many times have we seen West Ham go one or two down and painfully watch the other team run the clock down? We did very well to get back into it and if Antonio had a better left foot we could have won it. But all in all I think we showed a lot of character to get back into the game. Onto Brum... :crest:
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

First half was thinking just how ***** Carroll is, but also how ***** the rest of the team are for expecting him to move more than two yards, it was about as poor a 45 minutes as we've played all season ...

Cam out second half happy with the changes at half time then bang, terrible defending and suddenly 2-0 down, thought there was clearly no way back with the way we had been playing ...

BUT

All of a sudden we wake up, two quick goals and we're ripping them a new one ...

In the end felt very frustrated that we didn't win ....

So West Ham ... the bad - the ugly - the good ... all in one game

We need to get a settled team and a settled way of playing, a bit of consistency is what we need
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The main error tonight from the manager was not playing Antonio instead of Carroll.

Arnie looked a bit lost up top with Carroll, but when he got a bit more space he picked it up
a 4-2-3-1 would have been a better option.

Noble did well when he came on, but he also benefited from having Antonio on who could stretch the play a bit and keep the full back occupied

Rice, Obiang and Snodgrass had a thankless task in the first half IMHO as the movement ahead of them was non-existant

Perez gets loads of grief, mostly deserved, but he does move about a bit which creates space
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Pellegrini is speaking like he had made a point about set pieces before the game...the good news from that is he will be aware it’s a problem for us.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

The top 6 are in their own little league, the 2 mini leagues after that have us sitting right in the middle of a 7. It is about right, we are a top 10 side and could finish in and around that now pretty easily. The last 2 games have been reality checks with injuries and a busy schedule, I just hope we can progress somewhat in the cup, no difference for me finishing 7th or 12th. But a cup run, now that is something i can get my teeth into.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Hate these sort of results because I believe we should be beating them but when you go 2-0 down and come back it’s hard not to feel relieved, and I reckon Brighton fans will be coming away from that gutted they couldn’t take home all three points, as I feel they were the better team first half aswell.

We’ve done well to be 3 points off the top 7 given injuries and the busy Christmas schedule etc to be fair. Carroll done absolutely nothing, and again this highlights how he can’t play within this system. Arnie was good, as was Antonio (second most improved behind Snodgrass this season) but I wish the bloke would stop trying to have a pop at goal when he couldn’t finish a pot noodle.
Loon

Post by Loon »

We have to come out of the traps a lot better than that. First half was a bit of a shocker and we allowed Brighton to dominate when we should have been putting them under the cosh.

We made Brighton look a good side. second half we seemed to get some belief.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

TheHandOfDog wrote:The top 6 are in their own little league, the 2 mini leagues after that have us sitting right in the middle of a 7. It is about right, we are a top 10 side and could finish in and around that now pretty easily. The last 2 games have been reality checks with injuries and a busy schedule, I just hope we can progress somewhat in the cup, no difference for me finishing 7th or 12th. But a cup run, now that is something i can get my teeth into.
Finishing 7th will probably get us into the Europa League next season.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Brighton were summed up by that plum who picked up the ball and sulked after our first goal. Unnecessary, snide, cheap, bookable (but allowed to get away with it by a weak ref), scummy and stifling.

Coming back from 2 down should feel like a win, or at least a hard fought point but it doesn't. Blatant pen in the first half, would have forced them to come on to us and we'd have eaten them alive on the break. Snodgrass popping the ball through the defenders legs and going to run round him only to be blocked off and pushed away before the defender falls over and gets the foul inexplicably, summed the refs day up. We spent about 6 minutes of the game down to 10 men because of completely ignored flailing arms as well.

The defending for both of their goals was criminal though, exactly the same **** that cost us at Burnley, clown car stuff really.

Pleased to see Arnie get his brace though and show us what we've been missing, Noble made a difference as well for Obiang, who hasn't lived up to his previous standards at all. Antonio needs to stop having the hopeful blasts unless we are securely up and winning, his hustle was good and while Snoddy did ok I think Antonio's pace and willingness to take on his man really helped. Diangana would have loved it out there.

Games like this and Burnley are the difference between 7th and 15th.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

We miss Hernandez's movement up top, when we went on our little run we had him up top, his movement creates space for the likes of Anderson and Arnie to get into. Unfortunately Carroll will never offer that and Perez can't be arsed. Shame we will get rid of Hernandez this month and keep the other two.

Today we lacked the movement and our inability once again to defend corners killed.

Fixture list had been heavy, looking forward to Pellers resting a few this weekend.
westhamgardner
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by westhamgardner »

We were asleep for long spells in the game taking the lazy option with a pass and lucky not to get caught out a few times. Probably down to a few players needing a rest especially snoddy who looked knackered. We lacked any creativity as Anderson had an off day, rice and obiang had nowhere to go and it was very evident no one else was going to step up as an outlet (with Lanzini and Yarma out this is hopefully down to injuries).

Considering we didn't turn up I thought Brighton look a poor team and a better side would've seen us off like Watford did a couple of weeks back. Take the point and move on to the next one.
GPP
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by GPP »

Obiang had a stinker in possession - I counted 5 awful passes of less than 15 yards in distance that were gifted straight to the feet of an opposition player.

Fabianski’s distribution was awful, as was his part in the first Brighton goal.

Arnoutovic clearly not match sharp but deserves a hell of a lot of praise for keeping going and pulling out two top drawer finishes.

Antonio gave his usual sublime to ridiculous performance, albeit more sublime than ridiculous and deserves the plaudits he should get tonight.

Noble’s assist a thing of sheer beauty - we just miss him when he’s absent.

Need some players back sharpish, quite clear there’s some players in need of a rest.

All in all, another enjoyable game under our manager. Long may it continue.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Anderson another 71 touches and only 70% pa.

in the first half he must have given the ball away 5 out of the first 6 passes he tried..

he needs a cuddle again.....
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Anderson another 71 touches and only 70% pa.

in the first half he must have given the ball away 5 out of the first 6 passes he tried..

tbf in the first half he had absolutely nothing to work with
Carroll and Arnoutovic were doing their best impressions of statues and standing on each others toes
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Needs a rest I think Cuenca, I imagine that will be the case this weekend. Last 2 games he's shown no consistent desire to get forward down the line. Cut bavk, cross field pass attempt. Think he'll be tested this weekend and back on it against Arsenal :scarfer:
Patito

Post by Patito »

His passing percentages are often lower than the likes of Obiang and co because he tries slide rule passes and through balls. Before today he was actually second in the entire league for successful through balls. Not sure why you are so quick to slate him all the time Cuenc.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Certainly got the West Ham way back..

If the ref had been half competent we would have been in front and he would have sent off Dunk by half-time.

We started well in the second half and then found ourselves 2-0 down for reasons that we all saw. Exhilarating recovery and deserbed all three by the end.

Now let's have a decent cup run....