West Ham Utd 2-2 Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Post by Burnley Hammer »

We need to go back to 4-2-3-1. The defensive midfielders are constantly looking for someone ahead and there's nobody so it predictably goes tp anderson every time. Anderson goes forward a bit and has nobody in support so he ends up attempting to pass long to the opposite side of the pitch, or backwards. In the absence of a proper attacking midfielder, I'd even play noble there for now. Just a central presence higher up the pitch. Or masuaku on the wing and anderson central. 4-4-2 is making us very predictable.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

A very strange game of football.
We were absolutely toilet first half caused, IMHO, by our two front men not moving at all.
Carroll''s performance was laughable but Arnie not much better.
The midfield three tried but there was simply nothing to pass to.
I thought we were lucky to come in at half time level.
Second half we started well for first 10 minutes. The fact that Perez moved about a bit helped and Anderson was suddenly on the ball and Arnie looked more up for it played up top on his own.
Then, bang. Awful defending and goalkeeping from corners and 2-0 down in three minutes.
Tbf I saw no way back but a clever double substitution and five mins later we were level. Both Noble and Antonio very inflentiAl. In fact, Brighton had to bring on a left back to check Antonio.
Tbf the game was then there for the taking but the last 25 minutes was fairly disappointing IMHO and neither team really did enough to win it.
All in all a fair result, but we really need to sort our our defending from corners - I thought they were going to score from every one
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

if we could sort out our defending from crosses of ANY kind, I would be pleased as punch....
traxop

Post by traxop »

On another note, with Arnie scoring his brace, we must be up to our 4th or 5th player scoring a double in a game this season.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Burnley Hammer wrote:We need to go back to 4-2-3-1. The defensive midfielders are constantly looking for someone ahead and there's nobody so it predictably goes tp anderson every time. Anderson goes forward a bit and has nobody in support so he ends up attempting to pass long to the opposite side of the pitch, or backwards. In the absence of a proper attacking midfielder, I'd even play noble there for now. Just a central presence higher up the pitch. Or masuaku on the wing and anderson central. 4-4-2 is making us very predictable.
Totally agree. bTW can anyone watching on a stream confirm if it was a pen on Arnie in the first half. Everyone around me thought it was stonewall but I thought he went looking for it.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

If only.... wrote:Seems that as soon as 7th or 8th position is there for us we get the willies.
I've seen a documentary about that, it's called Spursy. In later stages it's accompanied by delusions of grandeur..........
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Croydon wrote:I think Diop has been far worse than Ogbonna the last few games. Just a dip in form...
I suspect he's missing his regular partner with who he formed a good understanding for the first half of the season.
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

OohAahButler wrote: Totally agree. bTW can anyone watching on a stream confirm if it was a pen on Arnie in the first half. Everyone around me thought it was stonewall but I thought he went looking for it.

Looked it to me, if he'd have been wearing red and a mop of black hair it would have been without question
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

"bTW can anyone watching on a stream confirm if it was a pen on Arnie in the first half"

For me, not a penalty. Would be very pissed f it it had been awarded against us.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote:We need to go back to 4-2-3-1. The defensive midfielders are constantly looking for someone ahead and there's nobody so it predictably goes tp anderson every time. Anderson goes forward a bit and has nobody in support so he ends up attempting to pass long to the opposite side of the pitch, or backwards. In the absence of a proper attacking midfielder, I'd even play noble there for now. Just a central presence higher up the pitch. Or masuaku on the wing and anderson central. 4-4-2 is making us very predictable.
OohAahButler wrote: Totally agree. bTW can anyone watching on a stream confirm if it was a pen on Arnie in the first half. Everyone around me thought it was stonewall but I thought he went looking for it.

Yes Duffy bundled him over but Arnie is not Kane or Salah so not given.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

OohAahButler wrote: .............................

bTW can anyone watching on a stream confirm if it was a pen on Arnie in the first half. Everyone around me thought it was stonewall but I thought he went looking for it.
If it had been given against us we'd be livid. Arnie pulled his opponent before hitting the deck after the merest brush in the ensuing tussle.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Glad that’s cleared up then :lol:
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Snoddy needs a rest, among others. Perez and Carroll can f*ck off right now.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

We seriously can’t be considering selling Hernandez given what we’ve seen from Carroll and Perez. 10 times better movement, work rate and finishing.

Pleased we got a draw out of that, but plenty of negatives. Conceding from set pieces still a problem.
traxop

Post by traxop »

4-4-2 is 'doable' but that would required our midfielders to be willing to carry the ball forward when the opportunity presents itself. I don't think I saw either Rice or Obiang trying to advance the ball in the first half. They played it too safe.

It took the subbing of Noble before we had someone will to receive the ball from a deeper position, turn and drive forward. It didn't require Noble to scythe through half the opposition, it just required someone to get pass the first man in the midfield. Noble was then in space where he could make those forward passes to players making the runs behind.
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

Ogbanna constantly looks the most likely to score for us from corners but is awful at defending them, he always wants to man handle people instead of attacking the ball, I cannot remember Rice winning a header to clear from a corner either considering he is also a centre half, we have the height just we all seem to look lost chasing players and not watching the ball and attacking it, also at upton park with the crowd so close we took throw ins a lot quicker there seems to be no ball boys hurrying to get the ball to our players to start an attack before the opponents get into position, by the time we have the ball there is nowhere to go except backwards, great comeback Antonio ran the left back ragged and Noble ran the show, time for a decent cup run
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Why did we get back to 2-2 and stop again?

Sh*t game with about 15 minutes of entertainment.

Oh and we should have had a penalty.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:If it had been given against us we'd be livid. Arnie pulled his opponent before hitting the deck after the merest brush in the ensuing tussle.
Can't comment on any initial pull, but "merest brush"? Dunk had two hands around his waist and was virtually getting a piggy back ride. Arnie might have been strong enough to stay up, but the chance was lost by then - and it was a foul, therefore a penalty. There was much more contact than the recent Salah incident and that other soft Liverpool penalty at the weekend.

Arnie was being tugged back on his first goal too. Credit to him for staying up.
The whole Brighton defence was very grabby in open play. And elbowy! Anderson was repeatedly being blatantly pulled until another defender could get back gto double-up on him.

Looking at the second Brighton goal again, while Ogbonna is doing some obvious wrestling off-the-ball and away from the action, Zabaleta, initially leaning into his player at the back post, gets physically dragged away from it, leaving it open for the ball to go through that area for the goal.
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Arnie was rugby tackled to the ground by Dunk who had absolutely no intention of playing the ball. Looked like a nailed on penalty to me would be given anywhere else outside the box. I like how Duffy tried the same again with Arnie just before he scored the first but it failed
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

I’d have taken a point vs Brighton all day long.