FAC3: West Ham Utd 2-0 Birmingham City (05/01/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Birmingham City: match thread

Post by e17 »

Georgee Paris wrote:Typical cup crowd. They used to be pony at the Boleyn too.
& before that they were Bukta
Pentonville
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Pentonville »

Het-Field wrote:

I’ve never liked cup games.
Really? I don't know how old you are, but at the age of 61, I can tell you the cup runs of 75, 80, & 06 were among the best games for atmosphere, better even than the plays-off's. Of course the last time we won the damm thing was nearly 40 years ago, and the FA Cup is not what is once was, for the all the reasons that have been well rehearsed. But when I was in my twenties, that was what WHU was known for, its cup games! Those one-off games, when any thing could happen, and often did. I always look forward to the 3rd round, getting on for 50 years since my first game, it holds the promise of something great. Not a 2-2 draw to cement our mid-table position.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

I love the randomness of the cup games, but the atmosphere today was poor.

The evening against Macclesfield was good (even before the goals), Spurs was Ok, today’s wasn’t.
Pentonville
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Pentonville »

I agree, the atmosphere wasn't great today, but then its not been great since we moved to the Athletics bowl, one or two matches excepted. We all know the reasons for that, these have all been well rehearsed on KUMB over the last two-and-a-half years. Its nothing to do with the fact that this was a cup game against lower league opposition. As any number of away fans have been chanting when they come to the Bowl over this time, 'You're not West Ham anymore!'. We've been chanting the same thing at Liverpool and City over the last few years ourselves. The money men have taken our game away from us. Nevertheless, I for one am looking forward to the 4th round draw on monday!
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by costa75 »

Cannot stand the early kick-offs, and I've only just noticed that the Arsenal game is 12.30 as well. Boll*cks...........

That will be a sh*t atmosphere as well.....
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 750 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

poor armosphere apart from the away fans. second half picked up a bit but very low key.

playing side thought silva looked good. quick and strong some nice touches.

diagana again did well
rice was rice, good.
arnie good for his goal and off and well for arsenal.
antonio got to grips with RB again. such a shame we dont have a right back as he is in good form and better further forward.
nasri got some minutes.

carroll is a pantomime figure now. went down a few times and everyone slagged him off but hit the bar and got a goal.

easy victory in the end onto the next round.
steps
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

Once Carroll came on the game turned flat as a pancake. At the time I was pretty annoyed with Pellegrini for taking Arnautovic off after 20 minutes, I mean he must have his reasons (back twinge so we’re told), but I knew from that point on it wasn’t going to be easy on the eye and I had thoughts whether it was actually worth getting up at 6am for and travelling over 100 miles to get to, but hey ho.

Wasn’t easy getting away from the ground either, mainly due to the Brum herberts causing a commotion down by the Carpenters underpass and the police eventually blocking the road off. I got diverted down by the Westfield and had to walk past the station to get back to where the car was. Abject policing, why did they let them out at the same time as us knowing two sets of fans would eventually meet at the end of Loop Road?

Anyway, on to the next round. Hopefully a nice away trip.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Why did we hold out so long to give Declan Rice the raise he so deserved, for his age the way he sees the game is superb! as others have said Arnie was good again, did we want to get him cup tied? Masuaku gain was disappointing, good to see Adrian get a game, Nasri was okay after such a long lay off, always like Antonio, we won that is all we can say, it could have been a banana skin.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2025 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Thought we pretty much controlled the game without needing to find the next gear. Birmingham played well, and created chances, but don’t think we ever really looked like not winning the game.

Impressive performances from most on a professional performance. Nasri looks like he still retains his ability and our younger players looked decent.

A couple of additions in key areas and we have the squad and manager to finish 7th.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Sadly the atmosphere at Upton Park for the last 20 years or so (except for a few notable games) was not what it was in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Times change, things change.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

BondsoBob wrote:Sadly the atmosphere at Upton Park for the last 20 years or so (except for a few notable games) was not what it was in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Times change, things change.
Nothing as bad as what happened yesterday though, inside or out...
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1105 likes

Post by Rio »

A nondescript and uninspiring performance. But how many times have we come up against teams like this and come a cropper? So I’m more than happy to be in the draw, unscathed and without having to exert ourselves too much.

Pretty much in control, the early goal was exactly what the doctor ordered, Monks rudimentary approach couldn’t spark then into really offering much of any kind of pressure fuelled comeback which could have troubled us.

Rice by far our pick. Nasri looked tidy and it was an easy way to reacclimatise him back to first team football. With full fitness he could prove to be a real coup. Diop again impressed me. I like the kid. Comfortable on the ball, loves a surge forward and some timely interceptions. Every else rated as a ‘meh to me. Nobody was awful, nobody was great.

As for Carroll. I make no secret of the fact I like him. It’s clear he’s been asked by the boss to change his game. Not attack every header from goal kicks, as he’s a marked man by the FA school of incompetence that masquerades as the referees list. He was getting a bit of a going over from the Brum centre halves, which he took before moaning to Roger East, who then started to give him a bit of a fair go. Defended well from set pieces. The goal line clearance was vital. The one on one, he was guilty of too heavy a touch, but it’s understandable given the lack of game time that he isn’t as confident. Trademark header at the end, to life the demon off his shoulders.

Has he a future here? Depends. Pellers is trying to change his approach and utilise him in a slightly different manner. If AC takes it on board and adapts, then he’s an asset. Remember we’ve long struggled to have a squad where the luxury of a 3rd & 4th choice striker who is suitably effective to play at this level was feasible. We now have that luxury. Unless we can suitably upgrade the. It’s a yes for me.

Into the hat safely, in what could have been a very difficult afternoon. I’m happy
TeddyThePug
Has liked: 1 like

Post by TeddyThePug »

Het-Field wrote: I’ve never liked cup games. You always knew the cup crowd as they could be so cringe inducing. The bigging up how many pre-match lagers they would slam in The Queens pre-match, while standing on the District Line at Plaistow at 2:50pm, the awful attempt at starting chants, the attempts at goading away fans (even those who we should have nothing against), the ignorant criticism of players (often times slagging off players who were not even in match day squads, but still shouting at some random player who they happened to think was the player they were slagging off), and the weird sense they exuded that they were part of the furniture when this was likely to have been the first game they attended in years. It could also be rather intimidating as some of the cup attendees could be quite entrenched in the behaviour and attitudes simply because that was what they were like.

I actually think it was worse at the BG.
This is totally spot on. I was unfortunate to sit behind one of these, and in front of three more. Constant Carroll bashing from the time he came on until when he scored. Of course they all jumped up and down like they'd won the world cup. I was peed off, but not as much as a bloke two rows in front who gave them a massive slating. Surprised it didn't kick off to be fair. Part time tourist idiots.
Roby
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Roby »

Just had a lie in after a coach trip to the game yesterday.

That was my first game this season and the stadium just as crap as my last few visits. It seems to be absolutely freezing in that barren place every time I go! Don't get me started on the Stop and Go boards on the way back to Stratford...

The three kids all played well, there was a hell of a shot by Silva from distance that flashed just over which the TV highlights didn't show.

AC looked terrible but put a hanging cross to the back post and he'll demolish the centre half and bury it. And that he certainly did.

Nasri had a lot of possession playing deep and had a very good debut.

Birmingham were half decent so it was a good result. :crest:
Richard Bluenose

Post by Richard Bluenose »

I think the match has been pretty much summed up, not too bad and a draw may or may not have been a fair result. I felt the Hammers shaded it though and I wasn't too unhappy to be honest. More importantly had a cracking day out in the pub before and after the game before heading back home to the other side of town. The Hammers fans around me were all a bit puzzled by Carroll and don't wont to see him get another contract, he looked off the pace but that's to be expected after being out for a while.

Regards
3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

I do find it funny that the measure of support is how much and how loud you sing a (mostly) toneless song, I mean I get it its the atmosphere at football and I join in when its around me but in not other part of my life is my commitment judged in this way. it's even weirder when other fans sing a song at your for the lack of you signing songs 'big hard men' signing at each other :lol:
pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by pbenjy »

3Dicks wrote:I do find it funny that the measure of support is how much and how loud you sing a (mostly) toneless song, I mean I get it its the atmosphere at football and I join in when its around me but in not other part of my life is my commitment judged in this way. it's even weirder when other fans sing a song at your for the lack of you signing songs 'big hard men' signing at each other :lol:
Agreed. We haven’t won anything for 39 years yet we still get a gate of around 50,000 for a lunchtime kick off against a mid-table Chamionship side. Our support most definitely isn’t ****!
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 520 likes
Total likes: 1314 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Richard Bluenose wrote:he (Carroll) looked off the pace but that's to be expected after being out for a while.
Don’t mean to pick you out as a Birmingham fan for saying this but I keep seeing it said. Carroll has featured in eight games since Dec 4th. How long is it supposed to be before he’s raring to go? :lol:
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

it's minutes under the hood that counts though, not how many appearances he's had.

He's always taken a while to get up to full speed when coming back from injury, I thought 5 games (full games), someone yesterday said nearer to 8
Richard Bluenose

Post by Richard Bluenose »

Fair comment mate, I presumed he's just coming back as he was so far off the pace :thup: