FAC3: West Ham Utd 2-0 Birmingham City (05/01/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

light n bitter
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Birmingham City: match thread

Post by light n bitter »

What news of the much-feared Zulus?[/quote]

After the game a large group of Birmingham appeared from round the swimming pool and joined the queue by Pret? they were jolly friendly chaps, no longer to be feared.
Though potentially it could have been carnage.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Carroll sticks out like a sore thumb in this team now, we just don't play 'his' game anymore. Didn't think he deserved half the criticism flung his way but equally nothing went right for him right up until the goal.

Wasn't disappointed with Nasri's showing, some neat, quick interplay, particularly before Arnie got yanked, and can see a place for him but he understandably lacked any fizz and faded noticeably before Snods took over.

Diagana was excellent and Xande-Silva very good, showed much more spark and inventiveness than the more senior pro's. Really love that the boss likes to give the youngsters a chance to shine.

Same old defensive frailties seen us beat in the air a lot, make a mess of things under pressure and an opponent with a sharper attack could have buried us.

Hat's off to the away fans too, easily the loudest I've heard over the Toilet Bowl since we moved. Fair play :thup:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Did the Brum fans give GSB much ****?
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

C'mon guys. Too much negativity and grumpiness on here. We are through to the next round. We played quite well. The youngsters got a run out along with some fringe players. Nasri looked good. Time to be happy, not picky.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Jacko

all about opinions mate...I tend to agree with e-17 but you don't, fair enough......

@e-17

top half for sure, but I am honestly struggling to see which team if any in the PL would sign him ?

and how much of a chance that any manager would take to invest in what 5-7M signing on fee (Bosman) plus 60K+ min a week that he would expect.

which top brass would rubber stamp such a signing ?

if we were looking at him from another team and the same figures applied to us could you see Sully ...

erm well wait let's look at another team......

:D

but honest - top 11 down as it stands.

Everton - no
Bournemouth - no
Brighton - no/maybe
Palace - no
Barcodes - no/maybe
Burnley - no
Cardiff - maybe/probably not
Southampton - no
Fulham - no
Huddersfield - no

then you would look at teams coming up but we don't know who they are and this stage.

so e-17 I think you are pretty much spot on as him being finished (or as close to as makes no difference) in your assessment
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

Cuencs I think he'd be ideal for the Nigels
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Good win.

We are still short in defence.

Left back needed, Andy did well. And deserves a rolling contract.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Took my girls to their first ever game today. They both enjoyed it, so even though the home fans were pretty quiet, and we scored right at the start and end with plenty of slow stuff in the middle of the game, it can't have been that bad! :scarfer:

I was impressed with both Diangana and Silva today. Good to see hungry, younger players starting to knock on the door for first team football.

The simple reality is we have moved on from Carroll. You see how fluid and lively we were when Arnie was on, and then how static and ponderous we looked with Carroll leading the line (he was actually far too deep a lot of the time) and they are miles apart in what they offer.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote:Good win.

We are still short in defence.

Left back needed, Andy did well. And deserves a rolling contract.
I'm not sure why he deserves that. He's probably played in 50% of the games during his stay here with us. As of late, he has looked so off the pace, and so ineffective.

To state he 'deserves' a contract of any sort is, for my money, ludicrous. What is the criteria for deserving a contract?
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Andy Carroll still has something to offer but for the last few games he seems to be playing far too deep. I've no doubt MP knows what he is doing but in the end it came down to a simple cross and header for the second goal which begs the question why more crosses aren't put into the box and why Andy Carroll isn't gambling more and getting himself into the danger area more often. Play to the mans strengths FFS! Watching him come short to win the ball and try to link up with the midfield is painful to watch. He doesn't have the skill. That said I thought he did well today and put in a shift and deserved his goal. Arnie needs to sort his attitude out. Rice just continues to impress and is becoming my favorite West Ham player.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I hope Arnie takes out his anger on Arsenal 8-)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Stepney wrote: Play to the mans strengths FFS!

:D :D
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

A game of three thirds..

With Arnie on we were dominating the game and looked to be heading for a big win.

When he went off we struggled painfully and Brum would have equalised if they had someone who knew where the goal was.

After Snodgrass and Anderson came on we dominated again. Andy Carroll should have scored three and the cushioned header down to Anderson was sublime.

Decent enough performance and result. Onto round 4.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Andy Carroll needs 7/8 games top get fit .. right.

His all round play today was a tad embarrassing, complaining about everything, missing a couple of gilt edged chances, couldn't lay a ball off to save his life, couldn't trap a bag of sand ... and he is supposed to be an elite footballer.

The fact he can not stay fit for more than half a dozen games leads me to believe that his body is not able to adapt to football at this level. He has I would say lost his edge too, at one point in the first half I think Silva put in a delightful cross nice and flat and Carroll was just static - absolutely no effort to get in the six yard area, no run to the near or far post, the lazy ****er just stood and watched it. Look at his physique, he's overweight, and truth be told I don't get the sense he's bothered about football anymore. I'd rather see Silva or someone who actually gives a **** up there, because Carroll does no longer do the things he used to be good at, sad but a fact, those ankle injuries have impacted his mobility and his all round game. It;'s shame because the Carroll we signed was mustard.

In the summer, put him out to pasture.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Birmingham City the better side?

:lol: :lol:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Shy Ted
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

pezza20 wrote:Andy Carroll needs 7/8 games top get fit .. right.

His all round play today was a tad embarrassing, complaining about everything, missing a couple of gilt edged chances, couldn't lay a ball off to save his life, couldn't trap a bag of sand ... and he is supposed to be an elite footballer.

The fact he can not stay fit for more than half a dozen games leads me to believe that his body is not able to adapt to football at this level. He has I would say lost his edge too, at one point in the first half I think Silva put in a delightful cross nice and flat and Carroll was just static - absolutely no effort to get in the six yard area, no run to the near or far post, the lazy ****er just stood and watched it. Look at his physique, he's overweight, and truth be told I don't get the sense he's bothered about football anymore. I'd rather see Silva or someone who actually gives a **** up there, because Carroll does no longer do the things he used to be good at, sad but a fact, those ankle injuries have impacted his mobility and his all round game. It;'s shame because the Carroll we signed was mustard.

In the summer, put him out to pasture.
I have you right on all that but,

He could have had three goals instead of one, and if it wasn't for that header off the line it might have ended 1-1.
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

with VAR being used today we stopped manhandling players and tried to win the ball at corners and free kicks, never looked close to conceding a penalty which makes a change. also carroll never picks a player up normally is free and just attacks the ball from the edge of the six yard box, I think when he is on he wins more headers than any of our defenders to clear corners, Ogbanna always looks the most likely to score from our corners so why is he so poor at defending them. comfortable win we had a few dodgy moments but its what we do, Rice MOM again today he really stood out.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

we STILL don't seem to have fixed our vulnerability to crosses either from set or open plays...

Diop looks knackered as well to be honest.......