FAC3: West Ham Utd 2-0 Birmingham City (05/01/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Birmingham City: match thread

Post by thejackhammer »

hammerman11 wrote:Tough decisions to be made. a combination of experience and youth will hopefully see us through.

Adrian

johnson diop ogbonna masuaka
obiang noble rice
Antonio arnie diagana

subs fab cresswell zabaleta Snodgrass carroll silva coventry

2-0 hammers arnie x 2

arnie off for silva second half
Coventry on for rice
If Johnson can’t get a bench appearance with Zabaleta out and Antonio at rightback I can’t see him starting a game. I’d be starting Nasri not dropping him from the squad.

Can’t see us playing our only 3 central midfielders as well.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

May sound stupid but Oxford anywhere near playing?
Be good to see Perez and Silva up top, hope Silva does okay but think people will be shocked at the levels of what he is playing at now compared to mens football
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

This isn't going to be an easy match even using our current first team.
It's a very difficult one to call. but it's the same bloody story with us every season with the FA cup, too many injuries and we can't afford any more. And it doesn't help we're now about to start a tough run of games in the league, although thankfully you'd hope that only 4 more wins would save us from relegation.

Do you
A: go for it with the first team and hope they are not too tired already
B: Risk playing mostly youth and save the first team from fatigue or injuries?

Personally i'd like to see a mixture of kids and saving as many 90 minute first choice players as possible.
use,
Adrian
Masuaku
Nasri,Diangana,
Carroll, Perez

then a couple of first team, mainly in defence then kids. But no guarantees we'll win. It depends on what we think our priorities are, but then lets face it, unless the top 6 are all knocked out, we aren't going to win the cup, not with all our injuries.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Thinking about who most needs a rest and who is fresh, blending youth and experience, I'd be looking at something like.....

-------------------------------------------Adrian-------------------------------------------
Antonio----------------Diop---------------------Ogbonna---------------Masuaku
-------------------------------Obiang-----------Coventry---------------------------------
---------Diangana-------------------------------------------------------Nasri
------------------------Perez---------------------Silva---------------------------------

Arnie/Noble from the bench if we are struggling creatively.

Is Hernandez likely to be fit?

Could Oxford come in and allow Antonio or one of the centre halves a rest?
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

Here we go again. Safely in 10th place and people talking about giving youngsters a go and resting players. Resting them for what? And even more unbelievably starting Perez and Caroll.How about we try and win the thing and it you want to rest some players do it against Arsenal
Patito

Post by Patito »

Oxford supposedly nailed on to be heading to Germany so doubt we will see him play for us again.
Patito

Post by Patito »

OnePaulHilton wrote:Here we go again. Safely in 10th place and people talking about giving youngsters a go and resting players. Resting them for what? And even more unbelievably starting Perez and Caroll.How about we try and win the thing and it you want to rest some players do it against Arsenal

IMHO the likes of Snodgrass and Diop have looked dead on their feet the past couple matches and need to be rested now ideally.
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

OnePaulHilton wrote:Here we go again. Safely in 10th place and people talking about giving youngsters a go and resting players. Resting them for what? And even more unbelievably starting Perez and Caroll.How about we try and win the thing and it you want to rest some players do it against Arsenal
I agree with the sentiment, I'm the first to say that we want to try and win competitions. Hate it when we rest players for these as a general rule.

It's just that some players look absolutely dead on their feet at the moment and need a rest now to avoid injury or playing so poorly that we lose the game.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Agree re Perez and Carroll, but of the vestiges of the first team that still retain some fitness, they are absolutely knackered after the hectic Christmas and New Year schedule. They have to be rested to avoid picking up injuries themselves. Of course, nobody could have foreseen that going into this year, we would have so many players out nursing injuries, leaving us so short, but maybe, we could have used just a little more hindsight in last summers window and made provisions to lighten the effect. I too, am hoping for a cup run, but it seems injuries to key players has conspired against us this year, unless the kids can do us proud
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

fmgod wrote:May sound stupid but Oxford anywhere near playing?
Be good to see Perez and Silva up top, hope Silva does okay but think people will be shocked at the levels of what he is playing at now compared to mens football
Oxford has been playing at the same level as Silva hasnt he?
I have seen nothing from Oxford that indicates he is anywhere near the first team.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Looking forward to this one, could be a lively atmosphere with the cheap ticket prices and 5,000 Birmingham fans in attendance.

Normally I would say full strength go out to win the cup, but in light of last nights legless performance and the fact we still have a decent chance of pushing for 7th and getting into Europe next season I would be inclined to make a few changes and setup like this (still a strong side though):

Adrian
Zabaleta Diop Ogbonna Masuaku
Diangana Noble Obiang Nasri
Antonio Silva

Subs: Fabianski, Cresswell, Rice, Snodgrass, Anderson, Arnautovic, Carroll
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It is fairly likely that Birmingham will rest a number of their 'regular' players as well.
The key is to make sure that those who come in are bang up for it, as playing 'squad' players can then work to your advantage as they are so desperate to take the opportunity they have been given
libero
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

I think the players who most need a weekend off are Diop, Rice and Anderson, probably Snodgrass too. Problem is that with our injury list, I'm not sure we have a squad that could cover resting them
Nick Sneddon
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Nick Sneddon »

Knighter10WHU wrote:Looking forward to this one, could be a lively atmosphere with the cheap ticket prices and 5,000 Birmingham fans in attendance.

Normally I would say full strength go out to win the cup, but in light of last nights legless performance and the fact we still have a decent chance of pushing for 7th and getting into Europe next season I would be inclined to make a few changes and setup like this (still a strong side though):

Adrian
Zabaleta Diop Ogbonna Masuaku
Diangana Noble Obiang Nasri
Antonio Silva

Subs: Fabianski, Cresswell, Rice, Snodgrass, Anderson, Arnautovic, Carroll
If it was between reaching the later stages of the FA Cup, and us finishing 7th as opposed to 10th or so – I know which I would want.
Richard Bluenose

Post by Richard Bluenose »

Afternoon Hammers,

Just having a read through and it looks like your going to make quite a few changes and I can't see it being any different for Brum. They looked out on their feet after the Sheffield Wed game but the problem is the squad is so small due to the FFP problems, we only have kids to come in, so we can only guess the amount of changes coming, hopefully not too many as we all want to see a good game. The Hammers seem a little up and down at the minute so I really don't know what to expect.

Regards
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

Quite simply the most important game of the season.
We ain't going down and we probably won't qualify for Europe via the league. The only things that matter in the league is how much cash we receive for our finishing position (Sullivan) and we continue to play attractive/entertaining football (us fans).
But if we play our strongest available team and get a bit of luck, we could win The FA Cup. Let me say that again, we could win The FA Cup.

COYI
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

God knows who should play really, but i know that Anderson could do with a breather. Rice and Snodgrass too. So maybe the following;

Adrian
Zabba
Diop
Oggy
Masuaku
Obiang
Coventry
Noble
Antonio
Perez
Carroll
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

A bit like with Burley game. They will have 30 hours extra recovery and preparation time.

However, they are going well in the league and on the fringe of the play off places so Monk may rotate. Personally, I would like to see us take the cup seriously this year.
Nick Sneddon
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Nick Sneddon »

only1post wrote:Quite simply the most important game of the season.
We ain't going down and we probably won't qualify for Europe via the league. The only things that matter in the league is how much cash we receive for our finishing position (Sullivan) and we continue to play attractive/entertaining football (us fans).
But if we play our strongest available team and get a bit of luck, we could win The FA Cup. Let me say that again, we could win The FA Cup.

COYI
yep

:thup:
arlhe
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Richard Bluenose wrote:Afternoon Hammers,

Just having a read through and it looks like your going to make quite a few changes and I can't see it being any different for Brum. They looked out on their feet after the Sheffield Wed game but the problem is the squad is so small due to the FFP problems, we only have kids to come in, so we can only guess the amount of changes coming, hopefully not too many as we all want to see a good game. The Hammers seem a little up and down at the minute so I really don't know what to expect.

Regards
I suspect that (like me) most on here don't know very much about the Brum team but recognise that Monk is doing a decent job.

West Ham will definitely rest a few, despite still having eight players out injured, so it could be a tight game. If it's 0-0 or you're 1-0 up, with 20 mins to go, I'd expect Arnie and Anderson make an appearance.