Fulham 1 West Ham Utd 2 (17/09/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

BonzoBonkers
Yellow card - abuse

Post by BonzoBonkers »

Oh M. i could hear you clear as anything.....you really did give it one from me too. :D
BMU.WIC

Post by BMU.WIC »

The amazing bouncing stand took some getting used to with 3000+ jumping to AP's Claret & Blue Army.... "You only drink white wine" had me in stitches (copped on too late to what was being sung to join in), and another stirring performance. Not to say we didn't nearly throw it away in the last half-hour. The point made earlier about giving Fulham's attacking midfielders too much space was bang on the money, and as suggested Boa Morte made us pay. "Marvellous" Marlon Harewood coming up trumps again was a bit of a shocker, and until I realised that the second was going to be classified o.g. thought he was on for back-to-back hat tricks! Fulham did not sing ONCE. The most boring supporters in London? Thought Etherington was a bit lacklustre towards the end, and thought he should have been subbed instead of Benayoun, needing the latter's ball-winning skills more whilst re-adjusting to 4-4-2. Which leads me on to the clanger of the day, thankfully not being punished for it, and that goes to Mr. Pardew - you're 2-0 up, yet you decide to change the system to 4-5-1, sit back, and defend - that made sense since I've never known us being able to do that, home or away. Teddy didn't do much either, and I'd rather have seen Aliadiadiadiere on the pitch first out of the two. However, not having a moan, a bit of mere constructive criticism, and we're all guns blazing for that Champions League spot... :lol:
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 434 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

BMU.WIC wrote: Thought Etherington was a bit lacklustre towards the end, and thought he should have been subbed instead of Benayoun, needing the latter's ball-winning skills more whilst re-adjusting to 4-4-2. Which leads me on to the clanger of the day, thankfully not being punished for it, and that goes to Mr. Pardew - you're 2-0 up, yet you decide to change the system to 4-5-1, sit back, and defend - that made sense since I've never known us being able to do that, home or away.
Too right, but it was especially annoying as we'd been 4-5-1 first half and the switch to 4-4-2 worked a treat. Thankfully, he went back to 4-4-2 when he brought Ted on.

NRC aside, the players don't seem happy with 4-5-1. I felt we got caught out with too many runners ahead of the ball when they broke to score and those that were back were on top of the back four, which dropped too deep.

4-4-2 good 4-5-1 bad. And 3 fantastic points in the bag.
mjustincredible
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

great away trip today - nrc - what a legend, nearly caught his shirt when he threw it into crowd at end of game!

bit funny today as the away allocated section all stood up during game, yet the so called neutral section all sat down, even though 90% of neutral section was west ham too! :?

who cares either way - another 3 points!

must note that i think etherington had a shocker 2day - anyone who said he had a good game must of been watching another game - yet i think he was more tired than anything to be fair.
TJRichards

Post by TJRichards »

Thought rc was great today
daniel

Post by daniel »

Pards shouldn't of taken out Yossi, cause Yossi is one of the only players who can hold a ball, and dribble out the remaining time.
He wasn't too bright today, but we have all seen that Yossi is a game winner, and one move by him can change the result.
But he should have been rested, so there is a good side to the sub.
I just hope West Ham will continue it's current form.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Oh happy happy days.

Again, it is impossible to criticise anyone for effort. An away win against a decent side (albeit lacking up front). Yes yes yes..................
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Got back a few hours ago - quality day.

What a preformance from the lads and what a atmosphere from us - it was amazing. :)
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

were you in zulu HHLH?

Harveys_HammersLH wrote:Got back a few hours ago - quality day.

What a preformance from the lads and what a atmosphere from us - it was amazing. :)
Doubting Tomas

Post by Doubting Tomas »

What a great day out, although I did hear about five West Ham scarfers got done by a proper Chelsea mob in Putney at about 12 noon.

In a nice pub in Putney by 12:30, left at 2:30 to walk to the ground.(Not as exotic as Green St is it ?)

Good first half, two bottles of Fosters at half time at three quid a pop, (piss take), and of course a great second half.

Walk to Parsons Green after the game and back in the local by 6:15.
If only all away games could be this good.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Excellent day, excellent atmosphere and a superb performance.

In the Dukes head by 12.15 (£6.15 for a Stella and Fosters in plastic glasses, no thanks. Another reason why the East End is better) then onto O'Neils. A nice civil walk through the park singing "Is this all you bring at home" :D

Thought everyone was superb, bar a lacklustre Etherington, but as someone mentioned he looked tired more than anything. For me though Gabbs, Anton, Carrol and Konchesky stood out, but MOTM had to be Reo-Coker. The man was everywhere and his passing and decision making have come on leaps and bounds. He's now the player most of us thought he could be.

4 tins on the tube/train, pub then round a mates for a few more beers and MOTD. What a day 8-)

DT. Heard from a Chelsea mate that something kicked off at London Bridge as well?
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Marky wrote:were you in zulu HHLH?
I was, did you see the pig they were roasting? Got the tastebuds going.

I thought the match was a good 'un, played at a high tempo with both sides looking for the win. I was slightly concerned at some of our sloppy passing and certain players getting caught on the ball time and time again but you can't argue with results or the table!

Our fans were fantastic, never stopped singing and really got behind the team whereas poor old Fulham only turned up in the last 10 minutes although they do have that nice walk through the park every week.
Stevo
Yellow card - abuse
Location: At the World Cup cheering on me main man, Shakaa Hissslop! He dunt smooorke da reeeefaa!

Post by Stevo »

Yeah us winning is all well and good guys, but what I really want to know is whether Mullins had yet another terrible game for us? :lol:
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

were you in zulu HHLH?
Not that I know of (I was in The Larrick and The Eight Bells before and after the game).
I did meet one KUMB'er but I forgot your name mate but it was nice to meet you. :oops: :wink:
rUdEbOi LeW

Post by rUdEbOi LeW »

Great win lads, absolutely over the moon. Another solid performance by the whole of West Ham
Fatty D

Post by Fatty D »

Thought the back four were superb, Matty had a good first half then seemed to lose it later in the second half, Benayoun didn't really get into the game that much for me. Booby Z had a real physical presence up front but gives away too many silly fouls in unnecessary positions. Marlon a handful all day, Mullins solid but rc was outstanding taking the of Dioup all day best player on the pitch.

Credit to Pardew changing from 4 5 1 in the first half when it wasn't working.

Highlight of the game apart from the goals, rc calling Malbranque a **** right in front of us.
duffybear

Post by duffybear »

I was sat in with the Fulham supporters and I have to say having you bunch of lunatics singing at you, pointing fingers, waving your glasses, was ****ing funny! I just wanted to stand up and shout out that I was West Ham... I am NEVER doing that again. When the second goal went in though I couldn't sit down any longer so they knew who I was supporting. Quite funny cos a lot of West Ham supporters jumped up where I was sitting. We were by the corner flag in the Riverside Stand, despite sitting in a morgue stand it was a great afternoon, but I'll be sitting in the right end next time :wink:
nanamoon

Post by nanamoon »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote: Not that I know of (I was in The Larrick and The Eight Bells before and after the game).
I did meet one KUMB'er but I forgot your name mate but it was nice to meet you. :oops: :wink:
That pub the larrick was a joke after the game, 200 people waiting to be served and only two staff on. f*** me it aint hard to work out your busy times is it? I put it down to the fact that they had no idea that we are thirsty buggers, all the pubs were packed after , ended up in o'neills over the road. still singing 'ten men couldnt lift Frank Lampard' late into the night. The journey home was very hazy to say the least.
ragedwhufan
Location: Sitting in the back row with Malcolm, on our way to Cardiff

Post by ragedwhufan »

In response to the getting served.ha I found a solution!

What a great day it was. Electric atmosphere and as others have mentioned most stayed behind and I was still in O'neils at nine singing my heart out. Was funny as there were a few Fulham fans scattered about who just looked on in disbelief. One guy attempted to shout Fulham, he was soon shut up by another rendition of Bubbles by us lot.

Was in another pub earlier watching the Villa Tot game, and what a roar we let out when dippy Defoe missed the penalty....icing on the cake to a great day. Waiting for to get served was the only downer...I sussed it after a while as there was a blind West ham supporter in there with his guide dog, who could was getting served immediately. I offered to help him and got my round in at same time....he was smashed and I was wondering if you can be charged with being drunk in charge of dog....hats off to him, singing and dancing and offered me a drink for getting his dog some water...big admiration. Couldn't have been easy for him to get there being blind and having partial hearing.

I am still recovering, wicked hangover and the dodgy kebab on way home has not helped matters.

Who'd have believed it egh??/
RM9

Post by RM9 »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote:I did meet one KUMB'er but I forgot your name mate but it was nice to meet you. :oops: :wink:

Was me, just outside the ground on the way out ;)