Sunderland 1 West Ham Utd 1 (01/10/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Sunderland, this weekend ...

Poll ended at Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:35 pm

3 pts
51%
1 pt
35%
Jack
13%

Total votes: 178

dmyeo66

Post by dmyeo66 »

The main thing is we played ***** and still got a point!!
This is what makes champions..... :wink:
chimchimcheroo

Post by chimchimcheroo »

Adam 'The Smudge' wrote: No thats true, HH.
However you have to earn the right to play football in any circumstance by showing lots of graft unless you are up against inferior opposition.
Thats why we have profited thus far, bar yesterday evening.
We do have a portion of craft to add to our bow.
Luckily for us the one player with craft that Sunderland have in their squad was injured. I think Arca would have given Tommy a hard time as he had an off night. Everytime I have watched Sunderland they have worked hard for the full 90 and stopped other teams from playing. Not attractive but it's earned them 4 points from the last 2 games and it's all about survival.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Probably the worst we've played since March, Reading away, whcih was the last away game we lost. Marvellous.

And we're ***** :lol:

And dirty Southern bastards :lol:

Wont tell you what i think of your lot :wink:
Shminky Malinky

Post by Shminky Malinky »

No doubt we were poor and Sunderlands high tempo football caused us lots of problems but if you consider the clear cut chances, I remember 3 for us and 3 for them.

Apart from the goals, Gray's header and Marlon's shot in the first half. Teddy's lob and Whitehead hitting Gray on the line in the second half.

Of course that doesn't tell the whole story but we created more clear cut opportunities against Bolton and lost.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

After yesterdays performance im pleased with a point. We never got into our natural game and Sunderland have to take credit for that but at the back we looked a bit hapless which IMO is down to the midfield being over run for only the second time this season. underland needed to win more than we did and they didnt. They havent closed down the points lead we have over them and we are still the highest placed 'relegation favourites'.
SL

Post by SL »

When Yossi scored did anyone else think blimey, thats normally what happens to us (i.e dominate the game only to get sucker punched).

It felt so nice to do it to someone else for a change.
Atters
Doesn't mind going second
Location: Somewhere on lifes great highway - or is it the A12?!

Post by Atters »

On the day, West Ham looked flat footed, one paced and really out fought by a team who simply looked like they wanted it more.

But we still managed to come away with a point.

How many Hammers teams in the past have we seen crumble and end up losing by 3 or 4 goals? It shows that there is a bit more belief in this squad that we could come away from games like this with something.

Pardew's post match interview pretty much summed it up. Sunderland did to us what we have been doing to other teams so far - hurrying them and putting them off their stride and it worked for them.

Sometimes you have to give opposition credit - maybe not for how well they played but for how hard they worked, but I say again, we still came away with a point!
SAFC FAN

Post by SAFC FAN »

ok if sunderland fans are talking *****, pardrew is talking ***** then. He said we played well and outplayed you guys and should have won.

End of
I'ron 4eva

Post by I'ron 4eva »

SAFC FAN wrote:ok if sunderland fans are talking *****, pardrew is talking ***** then. He said we played well and outplayed you guys and should have won.

End of
Did you win though
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

SAFC FAN wrote:ok if sunderland fans are talking *****, pardrew is talking ***** then. He said we played well and outplayed you guys and should have won.

End of
agreed but you didn't and 'it's a funny old game' :) just once we got something we DIDN'T deserve and thats a big change for us.
Joe C
Darth Lemsip

Post by Joe C »

End of
Yeah, your performance (or, more realistically, our non-performance) should have given you three points. But this West Ham is a different one to the days of old, and with a manager not afraid to change his tactics and bruise a few egos, we got what I'd call a battling point.

Every team is going to come up against a team that get more than they deserve during the season (Arsenal v us last weekend for example). That's just football.

And don't say 'end of', it smacks of petulance

Edit:
Oooh, 1000 posts
Post Horn Gallop

Anton Ferdinand

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

I thought Gabidon was Magnificent yesterday, the poor bugger was covering for Ferdinand most of the time ( Anton obviously thinks he's better than he actually is, strolls around like his brother, maybe a kick up the jacksie by playing Collins next game might liven him up a bit) Gabidon was also covering for Thomas who by his standards had a poor game.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Mike420 wrote:Yeah we played crap, a points ok considering how we played. Thought their goal was a little sh*t to be honest. Repka played sh*t, was it him who should have been marking the guy who led to the goal? Like I said I dont rate him at all, maybe those of you that do can now see why. Anyway I think Sunderland worked hard, but was it me or did they hoof it up the bloody pitch and head the ball all the time, which didnt suit our game, and we played to their sh*t style of football. We should have been setting the pace and style. Anyway its probably a good reality check at least.
It was Reo-Coker who should have been marking him. if you see it again watch reo-Coker as he lets miller run to the near post unmarked.

Worst player on the pitch was Sheringham. Utterly shocking IMO. Don't see him getting slated as much as Repka though. :?

Gabbidon should have been MOTM. Awesome.

A very lacklustre performance, I don't think we strung 3 passes together in the 2nd half, but we got a point. Sign of a good side when you play poorly and can sneak a result. Hopefully thats our poor performance out of the way. It'll need to be as we'll get mullered if we continue to play like that
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

Joe C wrote:Oooh, 1000 posts
well done :niceone:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

You've got to laugh .. our ratings in the News of the World ...

Carroll 7
Repka 3
Konch 7
Anton 7
Gabbidon 9 :D
Mullins 7
Reo-Coker 8 :D
Yossi 7
Etherington 8 :D
Sheringham 8 :D
Harewood 5

Big Gus ... have a word ...
Joe C
Darth Lemsip

Post by Joe C »

I'm sure half these reporters don't actuall go to games. Last week they were talking about the saves lehmann had to make before saying we had no shots on target. Err...
one mcavennie

Post by one mcavennie »

what a result, getting a point a after the way we played is superb.

i think thats the difference at west ham now. we can actually nick points when unexpected and win games comfortably. So far anyway
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

We had 3 players who completely let us down. Repka , well involved but did everything wrong and, as somebody has already said, looked like he was playing for Roeder. Sheringham .Fluffed a great chance which he would normally score but otherwise was absent. These two have done well all season so perhaps should be given more chances.

Pards took all three off but imo should have put Bellion on for the completely out of his depth Etherington. Out of his depth ....against Sunderland!!! Bellion against his old team would surely injected a bit more urgency.

As for Sunderland. Against a WHU team at the worst by far we have been all season looked energetic but totally without any quality. I suspect they were at their best by the Sunderland posts and I thought they were dreadful. We only need find 3 teams worse than us this season and we certainly have found one of them. We were poor and perhaps this is the wake-up call that I didn't know before yesterday that we needed.
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Up the Junction wrote:You've got to laugh .. our ratings in the News of the World ...

Carroll 7
Repka 3
Konch 7
Anton 7
Gabbidon 9 :D
Mullins 7
Reo-Coker 8 :D
Yossi 7
Etherington 8 :D
Sheringham 8 :D
Harewood 5

Big Gus ... have a word ...
I thought that this morning.

Gabs was a 7 for me.
Reo-Coker a 7 as well.
Etherington was a 6 for me as was Sheringham.

Benayoun was our MOTM IMHO.
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by Bill »

Etherington and Harewood were pants.

Harewood could hardly bother challenging for a header all afternoon and when on the ball he invariably went down like a sack of spuds at the slightest challenge. I was so glad MOTD didn't show his dive for a penalty near the end when if he'd stayed on his feet he may have had a chance to score - I was embarrassed.

Etherington bottled out of every 50/50 ball. End of. :oops: