Manchester City 2 West Ham Utd 1 (16/10/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Italian Hammer
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

PATISH wrote: Yossi should of finished the one on one chance he had(he is being critisized in the Israeli papers :shock: ).
bit harsh considering he had no time to do anything with it before James was on him. Agree about the pass though
PATISH

Post by PATISH »

Italian Hammer wrote: bit harsh considering he had no time to do anything with it before James was on him. Agree about the pass though
I think he should of tried to kick the ball rather to attempt to pass the GK,
He did look frustrated in the game, wasnt he?
daniel

Post by daniel »

Yossi wanted to pass, but until he saw that no one had joined him in the attack, he tried to pass James, but it was too late.
This is one game he cannot be blamed for.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Some of you were clearly not watching the same game as me.

We were no where near as bad as some of you are suggesting. Repka had a shocker and Teddy did not get into the game at all. Mullins gave the ball away once which led to the second goal. Nothing would have stopped the first.

Welcome to the Premiership. The teams are generally better in all respects, and in most away games we are going to be on the back foot. I thought we did pretty well to weather the storm (remember the 6-0 and 7-1 results under Roeder??) and keep in touch. The defence did their job in tough circumstances (Konch and Gabbs in particular were excellent), Reo C was lively and Marlon rarely stopped working.

There is no knee-jerk reaction required. Matty clearly needs a rest, Teddy IMO is more effective coming on in the second half rather than starting. But some on here seem to think wholesale changes are needed (for example, someone suggested Ward should come into the side :? ).

Two points from three games (Two away and home to Arse***). Not good, but far from a tragedy.
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

James weren't bad either, was he Dave? :wink:
West Dan

Post by West Dan »

Claretdave wrote:Some of you were clearly not watching the same game as me.

We were no where near as bad as some of you are suggesting. Repka had a shocker and Teddy did not get into the game at all. Mullins gave the ball away once which led to the second goal. Nothing would have stopped the first.

Welcome to the Premiership. The teams are generally better in all respects, and in most away games we are going to be on the back foot. I thought we did pretty well to weather the storm (remember the 6-0 and 7-1 results under Roeder??) and keep in touch. The defence did their job in tough circumstances (Konch and Gabbs in particular were excellent), Reo C was lively and Marlon rarely stopped working.

There is no knee-jerk reaction required. Matty clearly needs a rest, Teddy IMO is more effective coming on in the second half rather than starting. But some on here seem to think wholesale changes are needed (for example, someone suggested Ward should come into the side :? ).

Two points from three games (Two away and home to Arse***). Not good, but far from a tragedy.

hear hear 8-)
NE hammer

Post by NE hammer »

West Dan wrote: to be fair to him he hasn't done anything that creative all season but his role is to break the opposition's attacks up and give the ball to people who can create which so far baring 1 mistake he has done really well. Lets not get on their backs just because we lost today 8-)
The dummy isn't quite out yet but whilst trying to listen to the game on R5 Live in the wilds of Northumberland I can't recall ever hearing Muliins mentioned.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Claretdave wrote: (remember the 6-0 and 7-1 results under Roeder??)
Yes indeedy, I also remember the 5-0s and 7-1s under Redknapp ...

Good point though. No reason to be unduly concerned yet. However I think top of the schedule this week at Chadwell Heath should be defensive duties ...
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Up the Junction wrote: Yes indeedy, I also remember the 5-0s and 7-1s under Redknapp ...

Good point though. No reason to be unduly concerned yet. However I think top of the schedule this week at Chadwell Heath should be defensive duties ...
But we finished 5th under Harry and got into Europe and.............. :wink:

I disagree. I think our first priority should be keeping hold of the ball in the final third. All too often today a player got a pass then gave it away cheaply. Nobody is going to play a "killer" pass every time but it is better to hold on for a slow build up rather than try a very chancey ball every time.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Claretdave wrote:Some of you were clearly not watching the same game as me.

Good post CD!

Ferdinand looked a bit to casual at times, might be time for Collins to step in. Tomas had a mare (not the NOTW story) but everyone is entitled to the odd bad game. No excuse for Etherington though - what more incentive does he need than to make the left side of Englands midfield his - he looks lost at the moment and needs a break.
tits_guest1986

Post by tits_guest1986 »

erm as I said in the other thread, well done to the supporters, 3,000 odd on a sunday sky game up north... did us proud as usual.

Why the f*ck that dont deserve a thread is beyond me
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

I agree with CD - no need to sack Pards yet :)

But some changes are needed to gee a few players up and to give some others a chance.

Sheringham, Etherington & Repka all need a "rest" i.e. drop them. Even if only to the bench. Teddy especially loooks like a player that can do his best work by coming on as a sub. Ethers looks knackered and Repka has lost the plot. Not just one game - Sunderland was just as bad and plenty of weak passing before that.

Middlesborough is going to be interesting. They are just below us in the table and they are the important games. Keeping in that mid-table area is a prime aim.

Boro have a poor scoring record although that fat git Viduka seems to enjoy playing against us. They will defend in depth and we will have to attack them with width and good, accurate passing.

We cannot expect much at Anfield and White Hart Lane (spit...) so the West Brom home game is crucial as well.

Win both home games and defeats away will not be too much of a worry. 12 games and 18 points would be a fine start.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

tits_guest1986 wrote:Why the f*ck that dont deserve a thread is beyond me
Because we have several threads about the game already open and your post was a two line comment which could have easily gone in this one.

Hope that explains.
Myron T Buttram
Probed by aliens

Post by Myron T Buttram »

Am I the only one to think the ref had a shocking game.

Man City maybe should have been down to 10 men after the defender wrestled marlene to the ground when he was clearly the last man before a certain goalscoring opportunity.

Also the City forwards I felt were making a back under our defenders, to the point that gabbidon nearly broke his neck before he blew up for one. However our forwards were penalised for much less, in fact there were several whistles for fouls that I couldn't make out for the life of me what they were for; he over-ruled the linesman for an incident that nobody seemed to agree with and an gave at least one corner that was blatantly a goal kick.

Or am I wearing claret and blue specs here.

That said, really we were pretty poor until the Z Man made an appearance. So no complaints over the result generally. But I hope the FA Ref Assessor was on the ball, I thought the ref didn't help the game flow one little bit, and frankly he was a bit of a "Homer".
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Quotes from Pardew...
"We invited trouble and we got it," said Pardew. "We came to Manchester City, who are playing well, and we perhaps got a bit carried away.

"This is our first away defeat and really the first time we have struggled and we have to deal with it.

"We were taking chances and perhaps needed to be a little bit more direct."

Substitute Bobby Zamora scored West Ham's goal on the stroke of full-time.

"The goal came too late - even if it had come with five minutes to go we might have got something because we are that sort of team," added Pardew.

"We know we are not going to get all our own way in this division and this is now a test for us.

"The players know that and are disappointed and the only way to work that out is against Middlesbrough next week, which we intend to do."
This is the big test now.

We've lost away from home today and now we've got a home game coming up next week.
tits_guest1986

Post by tits_guest1986 »

Its not just about the game I just think having support like that deserves a mention especially for the 3,000 who could be arsed to go up there.
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Myron T Buttram wrote:Am I the only one to think the ref had a shocking game.

Man City maybe should have been down to 10 men after the defender wrestled marlene to the ground when he was clearly the last man before a certain goalscoring opportunity.

Also the City forwards I felt were making a back under our defenders, to the point that gabbidon nearly broke his neck before he blew up for one. However our forwards were penalised for much less, in fact there were several whistles for fouls that I couldn't make out for the life of me what they were for; he over-ruled the linesman for an incident that nobody seemed to agree with and an gave at least one corner that was blatantly a goal kick.

Or am I wearing claret and blue specs here.

That said, really we were pretty poor until the Z Man made an appearance. So no complaints over the result generally. But I hope the FA Ref Assessor was on the ball, I thought the ref didn't help the game flow one little bit, and frankly he was a bit of a "Homer".
100% agree with you mate.

Ref was shocking - gave us nothing.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

tits_guest1986 wrote:Its not just about the game I just think having support like that deserves a mention especially for the 3,000 who could be arsed to go up there.
Agreed - and they have!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Myron T Buttram wrote:Man City maybe should have been down to 10 men after the defender wrestled marlene to the ground when he was clearly the last man before a certain goalscoring opportunity.
As I said in the match report, had we been given that Distin would have had a yellow at best. Marlon would have been clear through though so going by the letter of the law it should have been red. Perhaps the ref bottled it, wouldn't be the first time that's happened to us in Manchester :)

Swings and roundabouts though; you win some, you lose some. On another day Cole or Musampa might have had a penalty too.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

View from a Man City fan....
Thought we were bloody awesome at times today

(was the goal as good as it looked?) aitn seen it on tv yet, the build up was world class

Thought Distin was our best player, dunne must of been out injured, we didnt know he had an injury mind, Distin kept the whole back 4 ticking

Also thought every other player played well, i cant pick a fault with one of them (Except musampa's finishing)

Best weve played all season. Esepcially first half, good atmosphere aswell

Well done city (btw west ham, good looking team you got thier, pretty much like us, an english spine to it all...) Hope you stay up and do well, you came and played football btw that benayoun is class!!...(i already new that though)