West Ham Utd 1 Man Utd 2 (27/11/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

PATISH

Post by PATISH »

Happyhammer52 wrote:i have to say i think that,that was Yossis worst performance in a west ham shirt
Agree Yossi had a poor game, I thought Matty had his best game of the season.

MU are a handfull, there is no shame losing to them, it could easily been 4-1 or worse.
sledge hammer

Post by sledge hammer »

PATISH wrote: Agree Yossi had a poor game, I thought Matty had his best game of the season.

MU are a handfull, there is no shame losing to them, it could easily been 4-1 or worse.
I agree that Matty had his best game of the season. However, I don't think Benayoun was that bad. He made some decent passes, launched a few attacks and never kept trying - although I do admit that it wasn't his best game.

In any case, this was a very tough game and 2-1 is far from being an embarrasment.
knutknacker

Post by knutknacker »

Bill wrote:Oh well. Disappointing to lose from 1-0 up at half time, but I honestly expected defeat from the start. At least nobody has rolled us over so far this season, which shows we should be alright, so long as we beat the sides near the bottom. Therefore I'm not feeling too gutted.
spot on! any points from games like these have to be seen as a bonus (and that includes the one last weekend). no shame in losing to man utd, especially as the lads gave it a go.

our business has to be beating the likes of west brom, pompey, brum, etc. next season we can start worrying about beating spurs, bolton, etc. the season after that we can moan about not tonking man utd. :D
Tommy-tiger

Post by Tommy-tiger »

Yeah I thought we put in a really good performance today. Even though we lost i'd say it was one of our best matches this season. I thought defensively at times we were sloppy but others awesome. Midfield was Man U's but by Joe didn't Matty have a stormer? Up front I thought Harewood played really well, cracking finish and all round won the ball loads and laid it off well. I thought Sheringham didn't have one of his better games and I can't understand why he didn't shoot more often (he had a few chances!). Overall I expected to lose this match and I thought is was a good performance all round, we play some breath-taking football sometimes we just switched off for 20 minutes which lost us the game!

Oh well we should do the Brummies over on Monday!!

:doff: Up The Irons :crest:
tugboatpete

Post by tugboatpete »

what tactics did we have today ? we were over run by a very ordinary midfield
Jack of Diamonds

Post by Jack of Diamonds »

knutknacker wrote: spot on! any points from games like these have to be seen as a bonus (and that includes the one last weekend). no shame in losing to man utd, especially as the lads gave it a go.

our business has to be beating the likes of west brom, pompey, brum, etc. next season we can start worrying about beating spurs, bolton, etc. the season after that we can moan about not tonking man utd. :D

Wise words KK
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

Tommy-tiger wrote:Yeah I thought we put in a really good performance today. Even though we lost i'd say it was one of our best matches this season. I thought defensively at times we were sloppy :crest:
that's the one annoying thing that despite Man Utd's dominance both their goals came from defensive errors..
Wiltshire Ham err...
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Wiltshire Ham err... »

We lost but I'm proud of West Ham the team and supporters today.

Can't remember Matty running that fast this season when he set up the goal.
Couple of good stops by Carroll.
Mark Noble is probably at the stage Anton was a season ago so am happy with his approach to the game - (he is still young, etc. as Sven would say - and hopefully he'll carry on watching him)

I thought we broke well on the left, generally played with confidence and we kept trying to the end which is great to see.

Good enough to keep the sarcy manure 'fans' in the pub quiet most of the time.

Well done the hammers.
SL

Post by SL »

Just back from the game.

We werent at our best today but even if we were I dont think it would have mattered. Man Utd were excellent and by far the best team we have played so far this season.

Their passing and movement was phenomenal and as for Rooney, well I dont think is anything positive left to say about him. Hes quite simply the nuts.

If Mourinho wouldnt swap Fat Frank for Rooney then hes a muppet.
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

I still think Pardews shagging Marlon and I hate to say it yet again, Carroll can't command his area, terrible coming out for their second. Shame realyy because apart from that he saved us from a right mullering.
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Bit harsh to say he came out terribly. I just think he got beat fair and square.
steve857

Post by steve857 »

like many people on here have said, man utd were a class apart, we gave our all but class told in the end.

have to say though, thought alan smith was s*ite in their midfield, i didn't even know he was playing till after the game whilst standing outside dixy's chicken my mate said alan smith will never replace roy keane.
Andrew
Resident medical expert
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Andrew »

SL wrote:Just back from the game.

We werent at our best today but even if we were I dont think it would have mattered. Man Utd were excellent and by far the best team we have played so far this season.

Their passing and movement was phenomenal and as for Rooney, well I dont think is anything positive left to say about him. Hes quite simply the nuts.

You are not suggesting that this loss was not the fault of [insert name of your least favourite player here] and that we were just beaten by a better team are you?? :shock:
We wont stand for that kind of reasoning on here. Be gone!!
I think that you are going to have to make some random statement like "harewood is a lazy ****" to redeem yourself! :lol:
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Dissapointed but proud.
Well done to the fans and Brooking for the Best tribute. 8-)
As for the game...first half we were excellent and Noble was running the show. Carroll making some impressive saves too. Second half they controlled everything and it could have been 1-4 IMHO. However, without Rooney United are nothing and it would have been closer. Can't ask anymore of the team though, and this was certainly a game we could afford to lose. Birmingham next week is far more important.
COME ON YOU IRONSSS!!!

Carroll-7 Some superb saves but at fault for O'Shea goal
Konchesky-6 Solid enough but overran at times
Gabbidon-6 Not his best game for me, couldn't handle Rooney or Van Horsetelrooy but made some crucial clearances
Ferdinand-8 Very good. Better than Rio on the night i reckon
Repka-9 MOTM Brilliant. Won every tackle and knocked Park all over the...well park
Etherington-8 Much much better. Full of running and deserved assist
Noble-8 Ran the first half, and though faded in the second still excellent.
Mullins-7 Lots of good interceptions
Benayoun-7 As dangerous as ever
Sheringham-6 Nice touches early on but tired worryingly
Harewood-7 Good work rate and superb first half. Too many mistakes in the second..

SUBS
Zamora-6 Looked bright and good movement
Dailly-5 Came on and did f*** all right
Newton-5 Not enough time
stockwell pete
Yellow card - flaming

Post by stockwell pete »

SL wrote:Just back from the game.

Yes, I agree. We gave the ball away far too often and we kept chipping it up in the air when we had time to get it down and pass it to feet. We could have lost 3 or 4-1 to be honest but all credit to our team for battling all the way to the end. It certainly was a big game for Noble to get under his belt and he did OK considering his lack of experience.

IMO, our best football was played when we were breaking quickly out of defence and counter-attacking. Matty, Yossi and Noble all did well on these occasions.

I am still surprised that Pards started with Teddy though. I think he should only be used from the start in home games when we feel that our opponents have come to defend or we think that we are strong enough to push them right back for long periods. Teddy is still deadly in a congested penalty area.

But today, although I thought at the start that our midfield might have done a bit better, I did expect us to be chasing the ball for long periods and that we would be forced into a counter-attacking game. Teddy lacks the legs to be effective in this sort of situation.

Personally speaking, a 4-2-3-1 formation with Dailly starting instead of Teddy might have been better . . . we would have been solid in the centre and the three other midfielders could have attacked without worrying about leaving big holes in the centre of the park . . . also, Rooney kept dropping into the gap between our defence and midfield too so the extra holding player in midfield might have nullified him a bit more.

Anyway, easy for me to say. What do I know? :lol:
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

dodger wrote: Repka-9 MOTM Brilliant. Won every tackle and knocked Park all over the...well park
Sorry mate, cant agree there. The fact that he gave the ball away very VERY cheaply for the first goal, mean that he deserves to have his match points lessend.
He has been a different player in the past 18 months, but I still think that sooner he goes the better.
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

Bill wrote:Sounded like it was observed impeccably.
Bobby Charlton even praised us West Ham fans. Next week - the end of child poverty
DI GREEKIO
Connoisseur of crap

Post by DI GREEKIO »

all i will bother to say is that this cartoon rooney the shrek did an offensive foul in the second goal. prouid as always to be a hammer and i piss on manure
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

DI GREEKIO wrote:all i will bother to say is that this cartoon rooney the shrek did an offensive foul in the second goal. prouid as always to be a hammer and i piss on manure
How did foul anyone - I thought he took the corner?
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

steve857 wrote:like many people on here have said, man utd were a class apart, we gave our all but class told in the end.

as Andy Gray said last week in the Wigan/Arsenal game - form is tempory class is permenant and today it showed..