West Ham Utd 2 Newcastle Utd 4 (17/12/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

Chrissieboy wrote:Sounds like we played well but were unlucky. I have just watched the goals but couldn't get the whole match.

I for one will not be unhappy if we keep playing attacking football and win one, lose one for the rest of the season!
spot on
Cork Hammer

Post by Cork Hammer »

Seeing as I came across for this game I'll add my tuppence:

Better team lost but that's what £35m worth of strikeforce gets you I suppose. Good spirited display all round and nothing to get despondant about. Only Given & Parker looked quality from their side apart from their front pair. We need NRC back though to drive the midfield forward.

Ratings:
Carroll-6-One very fine save and no chance with the others.
Repka-5-Offers very little to the team really. A new RB would strengthen the team more than any other addition I think.
Konchesky-5-Poor distribution and caught out of position a few times. Will do better.
Ferdinand-6-Poor passing also and hoofs it too often. Some good no-nonsense defending too though.
Collins-8-Fine heading, tackling and a threat from set pieces. Also displayed some excellent long passing ability and distribution.
Etherington-7-Went wide every time in 1st half and cut inside every time in the 2nd. Played well though and wanted it. Will get more reward if he keeps that effort up.
Mullins-8-Fine display against Parker. Held the midfield together, tackled, talked and impressed in general. Great shot and deserved a goal.
Fletcher-6-Tried hard but got little out of the game. Where's Noble ?
Benayoun-7-I hope the sub wasn't tactical becasue Yossi was buzzing around and looked like he could unlock their defence. Unlucky not to win a pen.
Harewood-7-Worked very hard, forced an og, a great save and slotted his pen away well. More of the same please Marlon.
Zamora-7-Made himself available for everything, huffed and puffed but it just wouldn't fall for him. Good performance.

Subs: Bellion & Ali - didn't offer anything when they came on and I really don't like them being used like this. Use our own youngsters or get some other players in. Williams, Cohen, Reid, Chadwick in my opinion would give more for the cause.

4 points in the next 2 games will steady the ship again and I can't wait for the New Year's derby. Good to see the team getting cheered at the end too even in the face of a 4-2 defeat.
Russian Hammer

Post by Russian Hammer »

Why Sheringham not playing?
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

Russian Hammer wrote:Why Sheringham not playing?
injured
Ginger Freeman
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Ginger Freeman »

upton o'good wrote: you bugger, I was about to go for that...
It's a nest of bloody vipers in here! :wink:
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

I feel we missed Sheringham badly yesterday.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

hornsey wrote:I feel we missed Sheringham badly yesterday.
You're 'avin a Steff ! !
clarke

Post by clarke »

It was nice to see us go out for a point in say the last 15 minutes, however, by pumping balls over the top i felt it was easy for Boumsong and Bramble to head away, as this is really there only decent attribute as a defender, however, with the ball on the deck imo boumsong could not deal with harewood. But overall was impressed with the performance and not too sad
CSKA

Post by CSKA »

Greetings from Russia! I am a CSKA Moscow fan and I wanna say that West Ham United as well as our native club is in my heart.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

CSKA wrote:Greetings from Russia! I am a CSKA Moscow fan and I wanna say that West Ham United as well as our native club is in my heart.
Oh! Welcome to KUMB! Do you get TV coverage of West Ham games in Russia?
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

Hi CSKA, welcome.

Any players out your way that we should look at?
hornsey

Post by hornsey »

Rocketron wrote: You're 'avin a Steff ! !
We needed someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck and lead,I don't think Mullins did that,we ran out of invention quite quickly.
Chill_The_Kill
Yellow card - abuse

Post by Chill_The_Kill »

hornsey wrote:I feel we missed Sheringham badly yesterday.
Why?
Every attack we looked like we could score
Keep him as a bench man from now on
hornsey

Post by hornsey »

Chill_The_Kill wrote: Why?
Every attack we looked like we could score
Keep him as a bench man from now on
yeh but we didn't have that killer touch.
Last 20 minutes you can't say you would have rather seen Bellion come on than Teddy?! 8-)
Tanzo

Post by Tanzo »

Really enjoyed the game and my first visit to Upton Park. We drank in the bar right next to the tube station the Queens or summit, and it was good banter especially when bubbles was sung. Though there were a few scary customers in there. Especially the guy who was arguing with the bar staff and kept saying "f*** the regulars serve the footballers" he looked insane.

As for the game I did think we had a rather large slice of luck. We were under the cosh for large periods, but then you'd expect that away from home when your winning and the home team takes the game to you. Owen was the difference, lethal finishing. Atmosphere was top notch from both fans I felt too. Good to see the standing section standing all game, and we got no bother from stewards either for standing which was good. We did get told to not spill out onto aisleways but that's fair enough.
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

I thought we were fantastic, they had 4 chances and took them. Simple as that. We more than deserved something from the game.

Have to say that was one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen in a long time. When we had that free kicj in front the BML we were all going mad! How long did it take the move the wall back? No yellow cards or nothing.

I personally thought Newcastle were *****, and I'm still suprised now that they took something from the game. Their defence looked very ragged! Can't believe Boumsong tried to get Bobby booked for diving when he stood up and said to the ref that it wasn't a free kick.

Collins seemed to be shouting loads at carroll as well.

But I'm happy, we'll get a few points out of Portsmouth, Wigan, and Charlton if we play like that. Still not been out of the top 9, 25 points, one of the highst scoring teams in the Premiership, what's to moan about?

Come On You Irons
CSKA

Post by CSKA »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Oh! Welcome to KUMB! Do you get TV coverage of West Ham games in Russia?
I wish we get. But we can only watch Chelsea one hundred million times
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

CSKA wrote: I wish we get. But we can only watch Chelsea one hundred million times
Ah, same as here, then.
CSKA

Post by CSKA »

I hate winter. We must wait for March when our new season begins. :cry: And you enjoy football (including Germany 2006) practically the whole year!