West Ham Utd 0 Wigan Athletic 2 (28/12/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

Good to see that one bad result has led to us fighting amongst ourselves. Really great. Now imagine if the players did that, where would we be?

What is wrong with you people? Get a ****ing life or a grip, or both. Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion but for God sake, quit with the in-fighting and get behind the team. As Major said, it was one bad performance, now lets get over it. I can't abide booing at games but I also can't abide in-fighting for no reason. Let's support the boys, let's give them the backing they BADLY need, not turn around and stick two fingers up at them at half time by booing. Imagine people kept telling you "You're crap at your job" on a weekly basis, does that inspire you to do better at your job or could it make you lose confidence even more? Sorry, I just don't buy this 'motivation' tactic.

I'm really disappointed by what I've read here this morning. We were the best supporters going when we went to Cardiff both years, let's prove we are better than the average fan and get behind our side when they need us.
norfy

Post by norfy »

we are on a little run at home at the moment....but thats all it is!,people who boo get on my tits...you will say we pay our money we are entitled..well ok yes you do,but wtf does it achieve? do you think they skip off thinking we had a good game there suddenly to hear a chorus of boos, and suddenly dawn on them..oh dear i must try harder?
They gonna be more downbeat in the knowledge that during a poor game they gonna get slaughtered for any mistake..which then means they play safe ,losing any imaginative flow...i remember the days when being 2 down meant we all just sang louder!
and the treatment of marlene cracks me up...bangs one in...calls for england...misses a few..calls for his lazy c*** head...if he were to 5come out in press asking for a move, you would be clambering around to come up with some judas,slag song for him! but you can hardly blame him! how well has he come on since we paid something like half a mill for him?how many he banged in? not a bad investment compared to millions spent on others!
Please guys..lets get back toknowing that we got no divine right to be in the position we are in,we haven't invested yet anywhere what the teams below us have..wait to see who we get in jan..and have our unfit players back and we can all go back to deluding ourselves of grandure!
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

Please guys..lets get back toknowing that we got no divine right to be in the position we are in,we haven't invested yet anywhere what the teams below us have..wait to see who we get in jan..and have our unfit players back and we can all go back to deluding ourselves of grandure![/quote]

Not wrong!
But...
In a funny sort of way it's got interesting again with all the injuries as we are really seeing which squad players are up for a first-team challenge - it's a bit harsh on players who are really Championship Squad players but if you are honest a lot simply need replacing in January. Who's good enough to play?
Bellion - definitely not
Aliadiere - definitely wants it - deserves a decent outing v Charlton.
Dailly - too old - too slow - not good enough
Collins - makes mistakes but potentially a class defender
Newton - very game and enthusiastic and does basics well - but only ever a sub.
Fletcher - just not good enough for the Premiership

And as for the so-called first-teamers I really think Hayden (another couple of blasts in to the stands from range) and Marlon ("how DO you control that ball thing?") are not up to it.

Still, we were holding the mighty Wigan until those two moments of madness and we will show a lot more fight in the two London derbies...
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

PaoloD wrote: Get real people, having sat in the freezing f*cking cold, after that kind of display are you really expecting the players not get booed? Completely justified IMO
Shall I respond to this?

Nah, I'll leave it to our expert pundit.
Major wrote: YOU DONT BOO THE TEAM!!

and if you do your a c*nt.
:D
butzee

Post by butzee »

billybondsballbag wrote:Shall I respond to this?

Nah, I'll leave it to our expert pundit.
:D
Lets face it ninth after xmas is beyond my expetations yet we have a reputation this season for not giving in and even when behind coming back!!!!I feel this is our sticky patch of the season wigan had it with 5 in a row and our home form is pretty ordinary!!However i see us getting a point at charlton and not a lot from chelscum,we need 14 points to make sure we're in this division next year and as i said in august i wreckon 16th place is where we'll end up and that will to my mind be JOB DONE!!!
There's no way we're gonna have a fit team until feb and thats assuming no more injuries it really exposes our frail squad but i do feel certain players need to look at themselves...harewood not good enough mullins not strong enough noble not experienced enough daily enough is enough......lets hope we bounce back as we have done all season not losing two in a row!!!!
stockwell pete
Yellow card - flaming

Post by stockwell pete »

I also thought the behaviour of sections of the crowd yesterday was pathetic . . . some of you have got very short memories . . . and you should understand that all teams turn in sub-standard performances at times.

We were absolutely dire, it is true. It is hard to find many positives really. I thought Konchesky and Matty kept the left hand side of the team working OK, Zamora tried hard and Newton tried to lift the side late on in the game, but that's about it.

We really lost the game in midfield IMO. We were second to almost every ball, Mullins hardly hit an accurate forward pass all game and Reo-Coker seems to need a bit more time to regain his former levels. So there was no drive from the middle and the right hand side of the team was completely knackered (Dailly and Bellion was a partnership made in hell :lol: ).

Pards also has to hold his hands up too. He got the initial selection wrong and we should have started with the line up that started the second half . . . 4-4-2 . . . with Zamora and Newton. So we lost the initiative right from the start and allowed Wigan to settle down. I was hoping that we could get to half time at 0-0 so Pards could shake them up a bit but our defence collapsed horribly before half time.

Having said all this, Wigan have been quite a free-scoring team this year but they didn't create too many other clear-cut chances. So our defenders didn't do too badly most of the time considering we were being consistently outfought in midfield . . . and they were up against two very good forwards for the third game in a row.

So I think some of the criticism of Collins and Ferdinand on here is a bit unfair. We must remember that they are both very young and inexperienced at this level. I suppose what it tells me that is we need to play Gabbidon alongside either of them for our best central defensive pairing at the moment . . . Gabbidon has 4 or 5 years more experience, after all.

For Charlton? Dailly is a stopper, fullstop. Newton would be better at RB, tbh. Fletcher should replace Mullins. Perhaps Alliadiere could partner Zamora up front with Harewood at RM? I'm assuming the injured players are all going to be out still. Can anyone tell me if Noble is fit? I would certainly have him on the bench while Yossi is out . . . we need some central midfield creativity from somewhere.

But just remember everyone . . . three more wins (and a few draws here and there) and we should be safe. Survival remains the big prize this year.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Rediron wrote:Unbelievable! Let me make one thing perfectly clear! I saw the whole match via web tonight since i spent all my f*cking money on christmas!

I no alot about football, so i'll say what the f*ck i want! when i want!

I aint going to be portrayed as a c*nt on here, fans eg: major! saying i'm a twat no f*ck all about football etc....

I have a f*cking right like every other f*cking fan, an opinion which is not b*llocks, its facts!
I presume you're quite young ... read the bits above and work out for yourself why someone may hold you in a less than favourable light.

This isn't a site for childish rants (although it can often seem like that) - there's plenty of other sites that cater for that sort of thing. If you have something to say please try and be a little more eloquent in future. Thanks.
Shminky Malinky

Post by Shminky Malinky »

Players deserve to be boooed when they don't try or are not interested.

I have booed disinterested players in the past. Does not make me a ****, just means I care more about West Ham than they do.

However last nights booing was out of order. Yes the tactics were wrong and a few of our players had shockers but I really don't think there was any lack of effort or desire. Also in the context of our season so far, I really think we could have cut them some slack last night rather than getting on their backs.

Anyway time to move on. Pards and the players are reminded once again that West Ham fans at times are extremely unforgiving and difficult to please. Maybe it will inspire them to prove us wrong as they did in the latter part of last season.

As for the game, can't really add anything new to the thread. In simple terms Wigan were better in all areas. Jewell got it right, Pardew didn't.

Part of the problem was also our expectation that we would easily roll them over. Wigan are a decent Premiership side and were at full strength whereas we had a number of key injuries. Despite our promotion and good start to the season, Wigan have consistently out performed us over the last 2 years. It was never going to be the home banker we turned up expecting. Wigan deserve a little bit of credit. At the moment they are a better side than us.
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

Major wrote:
So by booing the team off at half time and the end sensibly identified what? We were ***** maybe ?

I think the players knew that, booing does not sensibly identify anything!! you can say what you like on here dont bother me, i will disagree sometimes but say what you like.

Boo at games and as i have already said YOU ARE A c*nt.

You cannot critisise the players or the manager for a lack of talent, effort yes but critisising lack of talent achieve absolutley zero. In fact its detramental as the individual cannot put it right.

I agree IMO Pards got it wrong but will repeat he knows football a lot better than any of us he sees the players every day in training he knows fitness levels and he studies the opposition. He made a call to go 4-5-1 could have been wrong then again we could have lost 4-0 if playing 4-4-2 who fuckin knows?

What makes me laugh is if we had won tonight you lot would be hailing him as the new messiah and praising him for the 4-5-1!!

Anyway you can all go f*ck your self at home i give up, you c**** can have the fuckin joke of a ground and make it into" just another" football club!! good fuckin luck to you.
The problem with this thread is the need of some of the people on here to start a fight in a phone box.

Did it not occur to you that the reference to being mute was not a reference to booing but to abuse of anyone daring to offer post-match critical analysis of the team and team selection, particularly relevant in the light of the upcoming transfer window.

If some idiots booed at the ground, make the distinction between them and those who come back from the game saying (a) god that was rubbish, and (b) let's look at some of the reasons why it was rubbish.

Direct your venom at the boo-boys, not at those trying to rationalise a dire performance.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Well said stockwell pete.
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

Ironball wrote:
Direct your venom at the boo-boys, not at those trying to rationalise a dire performance.
I completely agree with that. I've not really heard a rational reasoning for booing the team like sections of the crowd did yesterday. I can really describe it in one word; mindless.
Rediron

Post by Rediron »

Major wrote:
OH you saw it on the web!!!

I take it all back you must "no" loads bwahahahahahahhahaha

Your not even worth my ****ing time mate.
Say what you ****ing want major!, Cause your not even worth giving a f*** about!
Seeing it on the web actually gives u a better view of the events!
I've been 2 all the ****ing games this season apart from this one!

And yeah I do know what i'm talking about!
Shminky Malinky

Post by Shminky Malinky »

Rediron wrote: Say what you f*cking want major!, Cause your not even worth giving a f*ck about!
I've been 2 all the f*cking games this season apart from this one!

Not getting involved with your ruck with Major, but that comment isn't true. Being at the game always gives you a better view of events.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

Rediron wrote: Say what you f*cking want major!, Cause your not even worth giving a f*ck about!
I've been 2 all the f*cking games this season apart from this one!

You keep saying you Know what your talking about so go on then tell us why.. ( i know you have been dying for someone to ask)
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

Pilly wrote:I aint read through all of this coz just got home from the game but from the last few posts my opinion was it was Pardews fault....

Harewood is NOT a lone striker. Bobby Z has played this role a few times with Marlon on the right and it works so WHY play Bellend on the right and put Harewood up front on his own ???

The fans tonight where crap, booing our own team and cheering Harewood going off, excellent, good for morale that ! !

KIDS FOR A QUID SUCKS AND BRINGS OUT THE MUPPETS.
I was in the BML when Marlon got subbed there were boo's. But they were boo's for Pard's subbing Marlon. Better course of action would have been Newton to Right Back Daily going off and Addi upfront with Bobby and Marlon out to the right. Lets just hope it was a one off performance. I think Pard's in his heart of hearts knows he has to sign a right back in January or two if Repka goes. Either Johnson or Stephen Kelly from Spurs.
cockney boy

Post by cockney boy »

Ive read the posts, the slagging off of tactics, the slagging off of individual players, those who are good enough or not good enough for the prem. What disappointed me the most about last night was the lack of desire shown by our boys. Wigan showed that they wanted to win the game more than us. They were first to every loose ball, won every 50-50 tackle, got a lot of players back when needing to defend and then got forward when they attacked. They worked hard all over the pitch and gave us very little space to do anything. Does anyone on here believe that, apart say from their two strikers, player for player our boys are not as good if not better than theirs. My point is, why didn't we show the same desire to want to win the game, why didn't we win the loose balls, the 50-50 tackles, be quicker to everything that was going on around? That in my view is totally unacceptable from any player who wears the claret and blue.
mattjp
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by mattjp »

Dailly was absolutely shocking last night - it was as if he'd never played right back in his life. He had no idea when and where to pass and everything he did was negative. Konchesky, Etherington and Newton were in my opinion the only players who were decent last night.

We could have played all night and not scored - not even a single shot on target, Pollitt may as well not have played.
EggyG

Post by EggyG »

mattjp wrote:Dailly was absolutely shocking last night - it was as if he'd never played right back in his life. He had no idea when and where to pass and everything he did was negative. Konchesky, Etherington and Newton were in my opinion the only players who were decent last night.

We could have played all night and not scored - not even a single shot on target, Pollitt may as well not have played.
Pretty fair reflection, for the first time this season, I thought we lost every physical battle on the pitch, meaning that the majority of long balls, that were played by both sides(and there were a lot of them) were won by Wigan.

Hopefully just a bad night at the office, and good to have a game so quickly to get back to the good football that we have played before last night.
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

if you want the team to know you don't appreciate their efforts, how about a silent protest? cheer when they do well, shut up when they're not? radical idea?

i've heard rumours that pardew isn't desparately happy at the club. not "about to quit" unhappy, but "clearly ambitious and the club isn't quite right" unhappy. don't know if it is true or why he's not massively happy, but my guess is that part of him thinks "i've got a tight arsed board on one side and fans who'd boo me and the team if we lost to a deflection on the last day of the season, resulting in a uefa cup spot not champions league. f*** this for a laugh."

what effect can booing have other than -

piss the team off
make them want to leave
make them lose confidence and play worse

i'll just about allow booing bellion and aliadiere on the basis they're *****, they don't normally play anyway and if their value falls who cares, they're not ours. but not during a game.

would anyone be happy if pardew, mullins, harewood, zamora left cos they were fed up getting booed? even dailly, we all know he's *****, but he's in the team because as of today we ain't got anyone who's better and fit so we play him. is that really his fault?

the only one you can legitamately boo is brown, and even he's managed to appoint a decent manager, turn the club around and seems to have made a fair bit of money available.

ps i think anyone slagging collins (who looked shaky) must remember that roberts is looking class this year and camara is no mug. what roberts did to collins, muscling him out and making him look silly he did on boxing day as well from what i saw on MOTD,
PaoloD
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by PaoloD »

UTJ, you have a go a redIron for his use of the F-word but then it seems Major with his thousands upon thousands of posts and his foul-mouth b*llocks he spouts goes unnoticed. I rarely even bother to reply to what he posts even though I reguarly disagree with him because his style is like that of 12 year old bully who wants his own way.
I've come to the conclusion that he clearly has a low I.Q and must have some kind issues beyond his computer and keyboard to be so consistent with his foul-mouth and confrontational 'opinions'. Read through this thread and you'll find him calling people c**** all over the show so do this site favour and begin to pull him up on his posting or even better; get rid of the loser.

In future, Major, I ain't wasting my time in replying to your childish ****. I'll let you live in this fantsasy cyber world where you think your the King of the Castle.

Happy New Year you sad muppet