Charlton Ath 2 West Ham Utd 0 (31/12/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

one fine morning....

Post by one fine morning.... »

elliot ward has scored for Plymouth
wolverine
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by wolverine »

:ot:
elliot ward has just scored for plymouth
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

one fine morning.... wrote:elliot ward has scored for Plymouth
Get him back and put him up front with Collins :!:
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 345 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Bring the lad back ASAP!
D&G

Post by D&G »

Yeah I would like to know about Noble. Also Zamora injured or being sold?
Hugh Jargon (Old)
Location: The Isle of Lesbos, Cuba- Tottenham redondo corriente con el pene que cuelga fuera

Post by Hugh Jargon (Old) »

chalks wrote: all the defence needs is a right back, which im sure has been lined up. I reckon it might not be the big name people expect, just a good, solid player (that Stoke lad seems to fit the bill)

we'll lump a load on a proven striker and that will then see us pick up enough points in the next couple of months to play with freedom in the last dozen games and play out the season in style
I'll have a pint of whatever Chalks is drinking.......I think 5 wins between now and the end of the season will be a bit of a grind to be honest. I think we need 4 top players and that will cost 16-20 million if we are to progress. If not 17 th might be where we end up.
D&G

Post by D&G »

We will stay up.
Next season is what worries me,Pardew will need to go on a spending spree and sell at least 5-6 first teamers we have now and replace with 7-8 players.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

Hugh Jargon wrote: I'll have a pint of whatever Chalks is drinking.......I think 5 wins between now and the end of the season will be a bit of a grind to be honest. I think we need 4 top players and that will cost 16-20 million if we are to progress. If not 17 th might be where we end up.
my not even need another 5 wins - if we are correct in assuming 40pts will be safe then 4 wins and 3 draws would be enough..
tits_guest1986

Post by tits_guest1986 »

Just got back.

Should have gone in at half time 4-0 up, slaughtered them until the lucky goal.

Collins is a terrible defender, very clumsy, gives the ball away etc, come back Gabbidon. Today proved how much we need a decent striker. Harewood tried hard and had a good first half but couldn't finish. Alliadere started well but went very quiet.

Dailly had his usual nightmare.

Just wanna say we might slag off our home support but Charlton have the worst support ever. Thought it was brilliant singing bubbles at the end. We wern't very loud but the early KO and going 2-0 down didn't help.

Bit gutted today but we actually played quiet well, in the first half anyway
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

We will indeed stay up, I doubt we have anything to worry about on that side of things. I found today to be pretty predictable although it would have been good to have seen how the game shaped up. The festive period has left our morale rocking so it's no real surprise that we lost today. I think Alan needs the chance to have a good few solid days training with the boys and get some of those injuries repaired. I'm not saying the fixture pile up is solely to blame because everyone has to play the same amount of matches. However, I think AP could do with getting the lads together without games constantly coming along.

Totally agree with 17th being the aim and higher as a bonus. Next season is to build upon having survived the initiation of our first season back.
yabush

Post by yabush »

I love Wardy.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Now back myself...how we didn't win let alone lost is beyond me.
First half was the best half i've seen us produce this season. They scored with one of their THREE attacks the whole half, that said we had one player to mark in the middle with three defenders and we couldn't even manage that.
Second half wasn't so good though again we were the better side.
Today was just one of those days. Nothing went for us. Charlton got every bit of luck they could have done. Bastards.
Ratings:
Carrol- 8 A few excellent saves
Konchesky-6 Good in an attacking sense but time and again beaten by Rommedahl
Ferdinand-6 Pretty solid but he's had better games
Collins-7 Won lots of headers but needs to watch the runners a bit more carefully
Dailly-5 Alright defensively but can't cross to save his life
Etherington-7 Dangerous throughout but needs to get back more to defend
Mullins-5 Good first half, abysmal second.
Reo-Coker-9 Was awesome. Our MOTM for sure
Newton-6 Not bad but should have kept his shot low and we probably would have won
Harewood-7 Worked very hard but the ball wouldn't run for him
Aliadiere-7 Skillful, and a good decision of Pardew's to start him. Bad decision though to take him off

SUBS
Bellion-4 Utterly pointless
Benayoun-7 Looked excellent but missed a sitter
tits_guest1986

Post by tits_guest1986 »

Carrol had a mixed game. Some good saved but he didn't get near a few of their shots at times, and also seems to make the easier saved look hard!
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

dodger wrote:Now back myself...how we didn't win let alone lost is beyond me.
First half was the best half i've seen us produce this season. They scored with one of their THREE attacks the whole half, that said we had one player to mark in the middle with three defenders and we couldn't even manage that.
Second half wasn't so good though again we were the better side.
Today was just one of those days. Nothing went for us. Charlton got every bit of luck they could have done. Bastards.
Ratings:
Carrol- 8 A few excellent saves
Konchesky-6 Good in an attacking sense but time and again beaten by Rommedahl
Ferdinand-6 Pretty solid but he's had better games
Collins-7 Won lots of headers but needs to watch the runners a bit more carefully
Dailly-5 Alright defensively but can't cross to save his life
Etherington-7 Dangerous throughout but needs to get back more to defend
Mullins-5 Good first half, abysmal second.
Reo-Coker-9 Was awesome. Our MOTM for sure
Newton-6 Not bad but should have kept his shot low and we probably would have won
Harewood-7 Worked very hard but the ball wouldn't run for him
Aliadiere-7 Skillful, and a good decision of Pardew's to start him. Bad decision though to take him off

SUBS
Bellion-4 Utterly pointless
Benayoun-7 Looked excellent but missed a sitter
It's funny I listened to the game on the radio (not the same i know before people start) but Alidierere wasn't mentioned at all during the 2nd half. Yet you suggest he was more active than that.
tits_guest1986

Post by tits_guest1986 »

He was good first half quiet the second. But we never got the ball up to him to be honest.

Anyone hear that fella moaning at everyone who ledt early, was quite funny
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

I think the grind of the Prem season is catching up with us. Our best 11 is pretty good but when we go to the bench we suffer. We need some quality depth in Jan to keep up our positive start to the season. No need to despair just yet. We'll still finish in the 12-14 range.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

wolf359 wrote: It's funny I listened to the game on the radio (not the same i know before people start) but Alidierere wasn't mentioned at all during the 2nd half. Yet you suggest he was more active than that.
I assure you he was excellent especially first half.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

[quote="dodger"]

I was just questioning the second half, he sounded very active in the 1st as I posted in this thread.
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

Well, despite the loss I do feel hopeful after reading the comments from those that saw the game. It does sound like we played well but suffered from poor finishing. In this league you cannot get away with not scoring when the strikers have so many chances. It is a real let down psychologically when the other team scores against the run of play. Sounds like we gave this one to Charlton.
Glad the team is playing ok though..... Don't panic fellas, we'll do better but let's get a quality striker. Best form of defense is attack!!
Have a great evening everyone, be safe, and Happy New Year!! from Canadianhammer!!
West Ham Forever.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

Just got back ;
We deserved a point at least and would have murdered them if Marlon had his shooting boots on first half. I thought Charlton were very poor a lot of the game and only average when they got a goal - apart from Bent and Rommadahl.
It's obvious though that Newton, Daily and Mullins just aren't good enough and Marlon just isn't either.
Jury's out on Collins and Aliaidere (didn't seem to have al ot of pace tho gtreat technique and faded second half badly.)
Matty was excellent, NRC still doesn't seem 100% and when Yossi came on it all came together (tho he missed two good chances).
It seems we've used all our luck up first half of the season - but no need to panic, but lots of need to buy a right back defensive midfield and a striker!