FAC3: Norwich City 1 West Ham Utd 2 (07/01/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bonehead

Post by bonehead »

butter ?
Dan M

errm

Post by Dan M »

Anchor, Lurpak what about it?
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

it was the first thing that sprang to mind that you might clarify.....
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Cambs Iron wrote:I think some people thought the way i wrote in my summary i was saying Anton isn't very good (i rate him highly). I wasn't directing it at you Bonehead just stating that i do rate Anton.
aaah I see.......well I didn't think you meant that for a minute

and of course I didn't mention Ferdinand (for anyone who might want to add 2 + 2 and make 13)

I was following on from the theme the other day where some people were stating that Ferdinand and Gabbidon are excellent together.....and Ferdinand and Ward love playing with each other (ooh err).....yet Collins is *****

I couldn't understand how the logic worked, considering Collins and Gabbidon have also played together at Cardiff......and if playing together equals love.....which then equals great partnership......it should surely follow that Collins may also benefit from playing alongside Gabbidon, who for me is our best central defender......Gabbs may not be perfect himself, but IMO is a notch up from the others, who whilst they look good on their day, all have some way to go before being up to standard consistently

so in short, I think I fully agree with what you were saying
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

Cool glad we agree.

Yeah Gabs is our best defender at the moment been really impressed with him. Pardew did say at the start of the season that Gabs will be his best buy. I don't know if he would get my vote as Yossi, Konch and Carrol have all been great signings aswell.
SL

Post by SL »

It dosnt surprise me at all that Anton and Collins both look more comfortable playing alongside Gabbidon.

IMO Gabbidon is the best out of the 3 so automatically the other 2 would be more comfortable playing alongside a better player. Gabbidon is also the most experienced of the 3 so he probably organises things at the back.

Gabbidons injury was pretty sudden and Anton and Collins were thrown together. Both are young and relatively inexperienced in the prem. They have both made mistakes in recent weeks and Anton has definitley looked more vulnerable without Gabbidon.

As Anton and Collins gain more experience of the premiership and indeed of each other then I dont think they will have a problem playing together. For example, Anton and Elliot were both young and in-experienced last season but immediatley had an understanding because they have grown up alongside each other at the back.

IMO Anton and Gabbidon is our first choice partnership but both Collins and Eliott provide more than average cover.
BonzoBonkers
Yellow card - abuse

Post by BonzoBonkers »

bonehead wrote:
I couldn't understand how the logic worked, considering Collins and Gabbidon have also played together at Cardiff......and if playing together equals love.....which then equals great partnership......it should surely follow that Collins may also benefit from playing alongside Gabbidon, who for me is our best central defender......Gabbs may not be perfect himself, but IMO is a notch up from the others, who whilst they look good on their day, all have some way to go before being up to standard consistently
My thoughts exactly bone, and one i voiced some time ago when we signed both players. They seemed to have a great partnership going at Cardiff according to people i know at Cardiff. Although Prem. survival is paramount this season, a cup run would be a great booster. Have to say i missed the support on site like crazy.
muttley
Has liked: 1 like

Post by muttley »

I've got a few mates who are Cardiff fans and when we signed Gabbidon and Collins they were more gutted about losing Collins and on most of the Cardiff forums there fans were saying the same. I think Collins is a great prospect and will develop into a great player. It's just nice to see us so strong at the centre back position, it been a long time.
BonzoBonkers
Yellow card - abuse

Post by BonzoBonkers »

muttley wrote:I've got a few mates who are Cardiff fans and when we signed Gabbidon and Collins they were more gutted about losing Collins and on most of the Cardiff forums there fans were saying the same. I think Collins is a great prospect and will develop into a great player. It's just nice to see us so strong at the centre back position, it been a long time.
Yeah people i know from Cardiff were devastated to have lost him.....someone told me Collins is not a "natural stopper" but with Gabs. he is a very strong player and i agree his potential is there to be developed by Pardew. I would relish the prospect of seeing them have a few games together and forge their partnership into the West Ham side.
Doubting Tomas

Post by Doubting Tomas »

Not a bad day out.

The Complete Angler seemed to be full of badly dressed 'provincial' Hammers singing "Harry Roberts is a friend" at 12:30 so moved on to the Wetherspoon pub.
Six deep at the bar so gave that a miss and moved on to a pub over the river,(ferry boat inn ?), which was much better and only two minutes from the ground.

Norwich were piss poor and we were in control most of the game but not doing much.
Atmosphere not all that, but Norwich were very quiet so didn't provoke much of a response.

Could that have been Toms last game ? :D
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Gabbidon was a level above
NRC solid as ever
No-neck ran his little legs off
Matty looked useful - still not taken a defender on outside
Marlon - worked extremely hard
Katan - looked lively
Dailly - did a good job - much better in midfiled than at RB
Tommy - tidy return

Fav chant

"Up the arse, up the arse, Delia takes it up the arse
From Carrow Road to Upton Park
Delia takes it up the arse"

(Why the feck we sing the Chelski version whoever we play I don't know - bloody irritating)
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote: Matty looked useful - still not taken a defender on outside
He did do the right back once on the outside, I remember Matty hurdling an outstretched leg and whizzing straigh on rather than the normal cut inside. Unusual but true :shock:

In years to come perhaps I will be able to say "I was there when....." :lol:
Billericay Hammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Billericay Hammer »

Thoroughly professional display from the lads, but in all honesty Norwich were poor and IMHO the 2-1 score line really wasn’t a fair reflection of our dominance of the game, particular in the second half.

Hislop- Didn't have much to do but was solid in what he did do.

Tommy- Solid throughout. Did the basics and didn't over complicate things as he so often does. Got a feeling with the way he was applauding us at the end that that could well have been his last game for us.

Konch- Took a bang to the face early on where apparently he broke his nose. After that did okay, however was sloppy in his passing.

Gabbidon- Superb, was first to everything. Boy have we missed him!

Collins- Did well IMHO and was defensively solid throughout, however a needless handball for their penalty.

Newton- Worked hard and caused them a few problems. Only criticism was his final ball which was lacking at times.

Matty- Superb throughout, caused them lots of problems, first half in particular.

Reo- Solid as ever, need I say more!

Mullins- Impressed me. Knocked the ball around nicely and scored a cracker of a goal.

Harewood- Average first half, but a much improved second when he picked his work rate up and started to cause them problems with his pace and presence.

Zamora- Superb. It just goes to show what a bit of confidence does for him, his full of it at the moment!

Subs:

Fletcher- Put himself about well in the time that he was on. Solid.

Dailly- Did a tidy job just sitting in front of and protecting the back four in what IMHO is where he is best deployed. Must say though I thought the booing of him was an absolute disgrace.

Katan- Looked promising, showed some nice touches.

So all in all a good performance, good result and a good day out and my highlight of the day has to be the chanting of, 'There's only one Gordon Ramsay' absolute quality!
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Billericay Hammer wrote:Thoroughly professional display from the lads, but in all honesty Norwich were poor and IMHO the 2-1 score line really wasn’t a fair reflection of our dominance of the game, particular in the second half.

Hislop- Didn't have much to do but was solid in what he did do.

Tommy- Solid throughout. Did the basics and didn't over complicate things as he so often does. Got a feeling with the way he was applauding us at the end that that could well have been his last game for us.

Konch- Took a bang to the face early on where apparently he broke his nose. After that did okay, however was sloppy in his passing.

Gabbidon- Superb, was first to everything. Boy have we missed him!

Collins- Did well IMHO and was defensively solid throughout, however a needless handball for their penalty.

Newton- Worked hard and caused them a few problems. Only criticism was his final ball which was lacking at times.

Matty- Superb throughout, caused them lots of problems, first half in particular.

Reo- Solid as ever, need I say more!

Mullins- Impressed me. Knocked the ball around nicely and scored a cracker of a goal.

Harewood- Average first half, but a much improved second when he picked his work rate up and started to cause them problems with his pace and presence.

Zamora- Superb. It just goes to show what a bit of confidence does for him, his full of it at the moment!

Subs:

Fletcher- Put himself about well in the time that he was on. Solid.

Dailly- Did a tidy job just sitting in front of and protecting the back four in what IMHO is where he is best deployed. Must say though I thought the booing of him was an absolute disgrace.

Katan- Looked promising, showed some nice touches.

So all in all a good performance, good result and a good day out and my highlight of the day has to be the chanting of, 'There's only one Gordon Ramsay' absolute quality!
I was impressed with the handball, i had money riding on 2-1 :wink:
Tom

Post by Tom »

Anyone got any links to videos of the goals??