West Ham Utd 3 Birmingham City 0 (13/02/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

ASHTON THE NEW 'POP ROBSON'. I reckon anyway, the way he pops up with the goals like Bryan did. Ok i'll get my coat. :tweed:
movieweb

Post by movieweb »

My two cents, having just finished watching a recording of the match.

- B'ham a sad and woeful bunch. Our reserves could probably have beaten them, maybe even the ladies team. (Hell, maybe even the Hammerettes.)
- Harewood and Ashton worked their butts off, likewise Etherington.
- Don't like Marlon's casual penalty-taking. Like to see the same power and determination on the penalty that we saw on his first goal.
- Like to see fewer missed passes (and more balls played out of midfield on the ground rather than the ball being hoofed forward -- altho Deano and Marlon _are_ inviting targets).
- B'ham weren't a measure of anything, other than a job well done. Bolton will be a measuring stick. We'll most definitely need our A game to get anything out of that one: they're seasoned, they're confident, they're at home.

Come on you Irons!
Rotterdam Iron

Post by Rotterdam Iron »

lynothehammer wrote:We're officially safe and have Premiership Football for another season, thats enough for me. :D

And ths tis what we all wanted at the start of this season. :lol: ,......Europe would b great...........but i;m not greedy :lol: :lol:
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Chrissieboy wrote: I agree! Lovely win and safety assured. :D
Yeah me too..

Over the moon with this season & it's only Feb.. :wink:
mattcox10

Post by mattcox10 »

Good game.

We were nowhere near our best, and we won 3-0. This team has certainly got something about them. We didn't even need to get into second gear, and I thought that was amazing really.

Defensively we look sound, Gabs is instrumental, Anton is sheer class. Konch also a greate game.

Thought Ashton was superb, especially second half. He won everything in the air, and held the ball up well. When he fits in, he will be massive, i'm sure of it.

This is such exciting times for West Ham, delighted to be a part of it.
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, Pardew can sit down with the players and say "well done"

But if you're not moving forward in this game, then you're moving back.

A couple of bad signings over the summer and a couple of key injuries next year and we could struggle. I'm sure Pardew won't be telling the players that, but he will be telling them you can't choose when to do well... we have a real chance of Europe (f*** it, we've got our best chance at Champions League that we'll probably ever get). If Pardew's the type of manager I think he is, he'll be trying to get through to the players that this is where the season really STARTS.
NE hammer

Post by NE hammer »

The look on Bruces face..............priceless.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

haha

Post by w4hammer »

...first home game of the season i've missed...i'm stuck at trade show in barcelona :? :? :?

im with a two spu*ds fans and a gooner..was getting updates all match long...the fukkas were hating it....a nicce bit shout of Bubble ricocheting around las ramblas at about 3 am this morning :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

reading this thread tho--some of you guys would seem to still bitch and moan if you had won the lottery and had keely brook sucking your left nut....

ive seen five out of the last seven wins....cant wait for bolton now...whatever happens we're 'avin a paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarty!
I am law

Post by I am law »

abel wrote: Were you at the game tonight?? Ashton was about 10 times better than Harewood was.
They both played fantastically, imo. Did different jobs, but they both performed really well. As did the rest of the team. One of the best games I've seen at UP for ages.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

I enjoyed that. 8-)

Ashton was my MOTM, his link up play was excellent, won more of his fair share of headers and scored again, can't ask for much more.

Everyone had a decent game though, Etherington, Harewood, Gabbidon and Anton especially, although Etherington faded as the game went on.

Again liked the look of Katan when he came on, not afraid to run at people and very good close control, it was a nice feeling to see quality players coming off the bench.
Tom

Post by Tom »

WHat a game, we just love playing in front of the cameras don't we! I really thought Harewood was gonna get another hat trick!

Anyone else think we should sign up Pennant when Brum go down??
Andy

Post by Andy »

NE hammer wrote:The look on Bruces face..............priceless.
especially when it was beamed onto the big screen!!
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Very impressed with Ashton, Anton, Gabbidon and Marlon.
Ashton just edged Marlon for MOM
GreenWitch Hammer

Post by GreenWitch Hammer »

Arch Dandy wrote:I enjoyed that. 8-)

Ashton was my MOTM, his link up play was excellent, won more of his fair share of headers and scored again, can't ask for much more.

Everyone had a decent game though, Etherington, Harewood, Gabbidon and Anton especially, although Etherington faded as the game went on.

Again liked the look of Katan when he came on, not afraid to run at people and very good close control, it was a nice feeling to see quality players coming off the bench.
Agree with all that. How nice is it to have a forward that not only wins headers but is actually able to direct them too?! Harewood seemed to benefit from a freer role to run at the defence and as a pair they looked very good. Lets not get carried away. I wouldn't be surprised if possession was as much as 60:40 in their favour but we defended excellently all over the pitch including those two up front. Also think Dailly deserves a mention who did a very solid job after coming on and it was his tenacity that led to the penalty.
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Arch Dandy wrote:Ashton was my MOTM, his link up play was excellent, won more of his fair share of headers and scored again, can't ask for much more.
Ah, but apparently he cant win anything in the air... :roll:
100%WHU

Post by 100%WHU »

Up until he went off. I thought Mullins was superb
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

100%WHU wrote:Up until he went off. I thought Mullins was superb
Tend to agree ... summed up by that sublime reverse pass ... looked like he's enjoying it at the moment too.
100%WHU

Post by 100%WHU »

Up the Junction wrote: Tend to agree ... summed up by that sublime reverse pass ... looked like he's enjoying it at the moment too.
Was that the one he played out wide left, can't remeber who to though?

Very underatted player IMO
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

100%WHU wrote:Was that the one he played out wide left, can't remeber who to though?
No, for the one I'm referring to he was around the half-line and turned 'on a sixpence' to drill the ball between the defenders for Harewood or Ashton (I forget which) to run on to.
100%WHU

Post by 100%WHU »

Ok, will have to watch game again, but what it does prove is that his distribution is getting recognised and like you say he is really enjoying his football at the moment