FAC5: Bolton Wanderers 0 West Ham Utd 0 (18/02/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

From what i could see and pards quotes at the end they didnt fancy the pitch. Must admit it did look in a bit of a state which stopped us playing our usual flowing football as the ball kept being held up and passes were always short.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 253 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

**** pitch, **** fans, shitty long ball tactics, fantastic away support.

Let them come on to us a bit too much plus pitch too cut up to play our passing game unfortunately. Marlon looked fairly disinterested for 1st half and we never got going until the 2nd. Matty again disappointed slightly - he plays too close to Konchesky and still failed to take the defender on too many times but we did look dangerous on the break.

Brentwood massive stocked up with Burger King at Knutsford and all home now :D
wanstead
Raw Meat
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by wanstead »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:sh*t pitch, sh*t fans, shitty long ball tactics, fantastic away support.

Let them come on to us a bit too much plus pitch too cut up to play our passing game unfortunately. :D
Spot on.
Pitch was one of the worst this season.
As for their support - what a joke 12,000 turn out for the 5th round of the FA Cup! - why did Bolton not give us more tickets? I know lots of people who could not get tickets for the game - yet the ground was a third empty !

Good to see the big West Ham flag being passed above the crowd today - obviously made its way back from Cardiff safely.

Is the replay in 10 days time? Hope so as Bolton should be knackered by then .
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Just back.
Enjoyable but mostly because of the away support. First half Bolton better, second half end to end and we were much better. Hats off to the defense particularly Scaloni who was awesome. Oh and Fat Sam can't control for ****. Bring on the replay 8-)
Ratings:
Hislop-7 Solid again, 3rd clean sheet on the trot
Konchesky-7 Not bad and supported Matty well
Gabbidon-8 Played very well, lots of blocks
Ferdinand-7 Early on distribution was awful but some crucial clearences
Scaloni-9 Some incredible tackling, got forward well too
Etherington-7 Mazy running as always. Put one chance on a plate for Ashton
Mullins-6 Played ok but not enough tackling and never controlled the midfield
Reo-Coker-7 Got better as the game went on
Benayoun-6 Not really involved much
Harewood-6 A bit lazy really
Ashton-7 Very good work rate and helped out a lot, but missed a sitter

SUBS
Dailly-6 Came on and did a job
Zamora-7 Looked dangerous and if ONLY he could have weighted his pass through to Yossi better....
Sheringham-6 Not much time
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

Got in a bout an hour ago. West Ham did what needed to and to be honest we just kept gobbling up those high long balls. Not suprised by the turnout though, i wouldn't pay to watch my team play that boring ***** football at home.

Who's the w'nker with the drum, who's the ****er with the drum?
:D
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

dave28 wrote: because he does no more then the likes of bobby would do (why waste 7 mil on a player when he is already there )
Does Bobby play with his back to goal like Deano does? Does he hold the ball up and allow others in?
Do you honestly think Pards and the board would of spent £7m on a player that added nothing new to the team?
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Herts Iron wrote: Does Bobby play with his back to goal like Deano does? Does he hold the ball up and allow others in?
Do you honestly think Pards and the board would of spent £7m on a player that added nothing new to the team?
@dave28 you clearly have a problem with Ashton, he is f*ck all like BZ. He worked hard today in a difficlut game, the ref didnt help him, blowing for a foul everytime he looked at a Bolton defender. Ashton WILL come good, i promise you. You have a right to an opinion, but back it up with some realistic statments mate, comparing Ashton with BZ shows you in a bad light.
Chapel Hill Hammer

Post by Chapel Hill Hammer »

Watched on TV thought Ashton was very good pity he missed the header.

I think we did the job today awkward team to play against had two good opportunites.

If we had scored from either it would have been what a great display.

Thought we stopped Bolton very well. They had a good goal disallowed yeah but they were the home team and really only had a handful of chances.

Job done Very pleased.
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Heres something for you all to laugh at. Remember last year when Fat Sam saifd that Kevin Davies should be picked for England? He has scored 2 goals in 32 games this season.
Fook off Sam :lol:
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Stelios was a mile offside :wink:

Oh, and he is also a diving **** :evil:
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

I think I might have to start a Lee Dixon is c'nt campaign. First he dismisses Anton's goal as goal of the month, then he says Bolton completely dominated the game!

What game was you watching you twat!!
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Romford Iron wrote:I think I might have to start a Lee Dixon is c'nt campaign. First he dismisses Anton's goal as goal of the month, then he says Bolton completely dominated the game!

What game was you watching you twat!!
Wasnt it Le Saux?
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

Herts Iron wrote: Wasnt it Le Saux?
Oh was it? I knew there was two on the panel. Think it was Dixon and Le saux. I maybe wrong.

A c'nt nonetheless!!

On a nother note, anyone see Kris Akabusi in the Upper tier! Cool hat! :D
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

It was both of them...Le Saux and Dixon...Dixon is just bitching cos we beat Arsenal.

and lets be honest here people, we had some luck today, Stelios was onside....the pen was b*llocks though and I notice they didn't even show them knock the ball out of Shakas hand to score at the end.

They had a lot of chances and they play some ugly football, you need luck on a cup run and we had that today.

We have a bit of a rest now don't we? No game next week cos of Man U in cup final and then internationals. Next game @ home to Everton on 4th March..

Bit of a holiday for the boys I fancy, at least Anton can enjoy his 21st tonight... :D
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

wolf359 wrote:Back from the game.

Amazing support as always. I thought Anton was by far the best player on the pitch. We controlled Fat Sams negative long ball tatics really well. My only gripe was with our own negative approach, we didnt go for it and we could have had them. If only Ashton scored, they were there for the taking today.

0-0 at the Reebok is not a bad result. We can finally do this lot in the reply
Just back as well, agree with this, when we went for Bolton I felt we had the class to crack them open, however I think we showed a bit too much respect and in a way played into their hands. I hope the reply will be different and we just do what we are good at, and attack. With the crowd with us again and the confidence higher after drawing there we should whip them, however I expect a Wigan scenario of them sitting behind the ball waiting for us to make mistakes, and if we show the same backoff as at that said game we could be in trouble.

BTW I found that drummer boy irritating, it would be ok if he could play something in time, but it sounded like some 10 year old with a new drum kit for xmas.
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

Herts Iron wrote:Heres something for you all to laugh at. Remember last year when Fat Sam saifd that Kevin Davies should be picked for England? He has scored 2 goals in 32 games this season.
Fook off Sam :lol:
I don't believe he's an international, yet it goes to show the lack of depth in options that England have in the ilk of a targetman. He's never been prolific, though f*** knows what Hodgson was thinking when he spent £7.5m odd on him 11 months after he moved for 10x less to Southampton only a year before after a good cup run with Chesterfield, which really should have resulted in meeting Chelsea at Wembley that year.

Taken from here.
Aye, I'm not a fan of Bolton or Allardyce, but these two impress me when I watch their games.

Davies is always chasing and closing down, and does a lot of defensive work for an attacker. Not only is he a very good target man as his aeriel power is strong, but at the moment I know of no better English striker who brings the midfield into the game like he does with Nolan and Giannakopoulos. You wonder what sort of damage he could do with Lampard and Gerrard in and around the box. He can hold it up, he's not afraid to run at players, and with these qualities he can spearhead an attack. He's a physical brute who lets defenders know he's there. My only criticism is he doesn't score enough, but as a team player, I see little faults in his game.

I'm surprised how versatile Nolan is. He's capable of holding his own in many positions, doesn't back out of a tackle, distribution is decent, and I think I'm right in saying he's something like second top scoring midfielder in the top flight.

Sub benches are good for options. Judging by Hargreaves international performances, I can't see the harm in giving Nolan a run out in a friendly. There's players waiting in the wings like Parker, Butt (Showed v Denmark and Argentina), Nolan, and they're all behind Hargreaves, Smith, and Jenas.

Instead of having players in the mould of Johnson, Bent, Owen, Vassell or Defoe, who are small quick nippy strikers, as direct replacements, having other options at hand like Peter Crouch and Kevin Davies could force a change in the way the opponent plays their game, as opposed to a pint sized striker being sent on just for two fresh legs.
Nolan deserves a chance. Though Nolan will only hold out so long before he accepts Ireland's calls. Smith's injury may open the door for him this Summer. No different to Joey Barton I suppose.
rendog2

Post by rendog2 »

Poor performance overall I thought. I thought the team looked nervous, which is weird for a team on a good run.

Having said that, we did get the replay, but please, more fire next time lads!

Bolton ARE beatable. They're solid, difficult to break down and stuff, but they are seriously dull. They're like the club equivalent of the German side of late 80s/early 90s...

LEt's smash 3 past them on the Upton PArk pitch in the replay.

Oh, and Allardyce should definitely be nowhere near the England job on that display.
cadiz_hammer
Has liked: 1157 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by cadiz_hammer »

West Dan wrote:replay details from o/s - very confusing as some other sites say it may be March 6th or 7th :wink:

Due to Bolton Wanderers continued involvement in the UEFA Cup it is not yet possible to confirm an exact date for the above fixture. A decision on when the game would be played will not be made until after the 2nd Leg of their Last 32 tie v Olympic Marseille on Thursday 23rd February.

Should Bolton WIN v Marseille:
Replay to be played week commencing Monday 6th March.

Should Bolton LOSE v Marseille:
Replay to be played week commencing Monday 13th March.
How does this work then ? Surely it should be the other way round, i.e.:
If they win and get thru to the 4th round of UEFA, they're due to play on Thurs 9th March (hence our league game up there would get shifted back to Sun 12th), so the replay couldn't be w/c 6 March.
If they're knocked out of UEFA there's no reason not to play the replay w/c 6 March.

Either way we'll be playing them twice in the space of 4 or 5 days. But it's gotta be best for us to play them in the middle of a UEFA period, so let's hope they win in Marseille on Thursday !
cadiz_hammer
Has liked: 1157 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by cadiz_hammer »

cadiz_hammer wrote: How does this work then ? Surely it should be the other way round, i.e.:
If they win and get thru to the 4th round of UEFA, they're due to play on Thurs 9th March (hence our league game up there would get shifted back to Sun 12th), so the replay couldn't be w/c 6 March.
If they're knocked out of UEFA there's no reason not to play the replay w/c 6 March.

Either way we'll be playing them twice in the space of 4 or 5 days. But it's gotta be best for us to play them in the middle of a UEFA period, so let's hope they win in Marseille on Thursday !
Oops, sorry. Just saw the other replay thread ! Please ignore and I'll re-post there !!!
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

The game was luckily on TV here. Not quite sure why Lenny is winning MOTM, he did nothing special imo. I thought NRC did excellently, although:

The game was a bit 'can anyone really be assed with this'. Bolton threatened slightly more but whenever we got the ball - and I'm not being biased here - we looked by far a better team (not on the day, just generally. if that makes sense).

So I do not believe that we won't win the replay. Who the fck wants to give their best football to an empty stadium in bolton FFS?

Filled with optimism.