FAC5: Bolton Wanderers 0 West Ham Utd 0 (18/02/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

dave28

Post by dave28 »

wolf359 wrote: Was generally quiet, he held the ball up well but was often let down by a lack of options, I dont think he is match fit yet and will score us alot of goals. 2 goals in 3 starts isnt bad is it?
but then anybody in his place should of scored them nothing spectactular
chevy

Post by chevy »

watched the game in pub in portsmouth ... stelios was offside.....

thought we could have nicked it ... but draw fair result....

we should be favourites for the replay

i shall be visiting for the replay ...

got a few texts from kumbers on the day but had no signal so sorry for lack of response !
Neil
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Neil »

dave28 wrote: but then anybody in his place should of scored them nothing spectactular
Yes - but maybe the point is that other players might not have got into those positions in the first place. I well remember Jimy Greaves getting lots of tap ins etc - its the mark of a good striker to be in the right place at the right time

Please dave give the guy a chance. He is settling in, has been injured and playing in the championship. Nevertheless he has scored two in three and would have had an assist against Sunderland but for a poor decision
Northern_Light
Location: Where the Sun keeps on shining, even past the witching hour!

Post by Northern_Light »

Nice to see us come away with a draw, considering the possession Bolton had...**** they play boring football.

Let's give them a footballing lesson at UP :twisted:
Neil's Orr

Post by Neil's Orr »

What do you people think about ashtons quality ,he,s not for me but thats just my opinion
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this a little crazy after 2 goals from 3 starts ... dont matter how easy they were - he was there to get them - thats his job.

I seem to remember you posting something similar early in the season about Harewood .. I am not sure what more you want from the strikers other than goals?
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

BonzoBonkers wrote:Well i reckon we should be well pleased to get them back at our place, and thank you to the travelling faithful.....you did your job brilliantly as usual for the team and for the fans not there.
As always
BonzoBonkers
Yellow card - abuse

Post by BonzoBonkers »

dave28 wrote:What do you people think about ashtons quality ,he,s not for me but thats just my opinion
:shock: f*** me bit early to have a negative opinion about the bloke who has already proved he can stick them away :shock:
Ariksan
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ariksan »

Quality comments by Pards on the BBC site :).
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Ariksan wrote:Quality comments by Pards on the BBC site :).
Like here you mean....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 703828.stm
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Judging from the match report, Pardew is in deep **** - taking Harewood off on 61 minutes is OK, but bringing him back on in the 75th is totally out of order
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

Thought Ashton had a good game played 4-5-1 for the first 35 mins and he held the ball up very well and won nearly every header. Played some lovely passes should have scored.

Thought pards comments about the pitch was right, we tried to get our game going but the pitch wernt right and the passing looked horrible, se we reverted to the long ball which doesnt really suit ashton or harewood.

who wishes that it was ashton not zamora who put the ball through to yossi. It jkust lacked a bit of quality!!!!
West Dan

Post by West Dan »

replay details from o/s - very confusing as some other sites say it may be March 6th or 7th :wink:

Due to Bolton Wanderers continued involvement in the UEFA Cup it is not yet possible to confirm an exact date for the above fixture. A decision on when the game would be played will not be made until after the 2nd Leg of their Last 32 tie v Olympic Marseille on Thursday 23rd February.

Should Bolton WIN v Marseille:
Replay to be played week commencing Monday 6th March.

Should Bolton LOSE v Marseille:
Replay to be played week commencing Monday 13th March.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

Alot of supporters who were getting trains will be stranded there tonight, major problems on the trains.

Just spoked to Ragedwhufan
West Dan

Post by West Dan »

Either way we will have Everton H, then 2 games v Bolton, 1 league, 1 cup replay
D.C

Post by D.C »

Top result! Am damn happy about this :D
Rightback

Post by Rightback »

I actually think that could be about as good a result as we could have hoped for, both from a league and cup perpsective.

Bolton definitely won't want another game in their increasingly hectic end of season schedule. We, on the other hand, will enjoy a Wednesday night at Upton Park.

We can go away now and have a little rest, while Bolton have to start thinking about preparing for Marseille. Could be crititical come May.

Also very happy with a third clean sheet.
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

I will defo take that result, get them back and destroy them :D
dave28 wrote:What do you people think about ashtons quality ,he,s not for me but thats just my opinion
no_no Why the hell not?
dave28

Post by dave28 »

Herts Iron wrote:I will defo take that result, get them back and destroy them :D
no_no Why the hell not?
because he does no more then the likes of bobby would do (why waste 7 mil on a player when he is already there )
movieweb

Post by movieweb »

Watching it on the telly, it looked like an underwhelming match. Maybe it was the pitch, maybe it was the Brum match, but we looked sluggish. It seemed that if only we (or they) could have upped the tempo, a breakthrough would likely have come.

Still, we got the job done in the sense that 0-0 at the Reebok is getting the job done. Well done lads.

Come on you Irons!

Below is the Guardians' take on the match.

Pardew's well drilled troops withstand Bolton assault

Stuart Barnes at The Reebok
Sunday February 19, 2006
The Observer

Honour was satisfied all round, but it was West Ham who went away with an extra spring in their step. Despite the end to a seven-match winning streak, with a home replay, on 7 March, the Hammers now look a decent bet for a quarter-final place after a resilient performance.

Bolton stretched their unbeaten record here to 18 matches and had more of the play. But much of their work was nullified by strong defensive work or the absence of a telling final ball. A draw was a fair reflection of a tie which never really took off.

Midweek matches often take their toll on players for weekend games, but Bolton certainly did not give the impression of feeling the effects of the Uefa Cup tie against Marseille.

Particularly sprightly was Ricardo Gardner, who showed Lionel Scaloni a clean pair of heels in a dash along the left touchline before crossing for Kevin Davies to have a shot blocked by Danny Gabbidon.

Gardner's awareness is a key part of Bolton's make-up, and when Matthew Etherington took a pass from Nigel Reo-Coker to cross to the far post, the full-back coolly chested it back to his goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Bolton showed three changes from Wednesday's match against Marseille, with Gary Speed making his first start for six weeks after a knee injury. West Ham, who were unchanged, had lots of defending to do as Gardner and Stelios Giannakopoulos continued to fire in crosses from both flanks.

A flick-on by Davies put them under further pressure and leading scorer Kevin

Nolan was only just too high with his shot after getting in front of Anton Ferdinand.

Jaaskelainen's first moment of concern came when Dean Ashton pursued a long clearance out of defence. The goalkeeper spotted the threat early to win the race for the ball, but he needed assistance when West Ham finally enjoyed some success going forward.

Each time it was their left-back, Paul Konchesky, involved. Konchesky had a shot blocked, then supplied the cross which was a shade too high for Ashton to make a meaningful connection.

Speed headed wide a chip from Davies, took a knock for his trouble and had to go off for treatment with blood streaming from around his left eye.

More good work by Gardner thwarted West Ham's most enterprising move so far. Matthew Etherington released Konchesky, whose low cross was packed with danger until Gardner reacted first to clear.

Davies fired across the face of goal when Giannakopoulos spread the ball wide. Then Jay-Jay Okocha shot yards wide - an effort in keeping with much of what had gone on before.

Alan Pardew, the West Ham manager, was first to change things, replacing Marlon Harewood with Bobby Zamora. Soon after, Giannakopoulos had the ball in the net when Okocha played him in, but was ruled offside.

As West Ham began to assert themselves for the first time, Ashton should have done better than head Etherington's cross into the side netting from an unmarked position beyond the far post.

After protests by Giannakopoulos that Scaloni tugged his shirt in the area went unheeded, there was a rare shot on target - a Davies effort held over his head by Shaka Hislop.

Man of the Match - RICARDO GARDNER
Calm and assertive in his defensive role, enterprising when going forward. In a match that often lacked sparkle, the Bolton left-back's accomplished all-round performance stood out.
finhammer

Post by finhammer »

Watched the game on telly and it was one of the worst performances this season. The result was great though (tough away game at Bolton) but it looked more like championship level football from West Ham. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed allmost every game I've seen West ham play this season and I know this was just one game, but the football played today reminded me of the games at championship. Maybe it had something to do with the state of the pitch? I'm not complaining. One bad game (with a good result) doesn't take a great season away. West ham have had a terrific season so far. Hopefully we'll beat Bolton at Upton Park with better football.

Scaloni played very well today, good going forward and solid defencing (few defensive errors), as did the whole defence. Ashton won every header, but he doesn't seem to be on the same wavelenght with the other players and seems a bit clumsy with the ball. But he's only been at West ham for few weeks so it's understandable. Yossi went missing the whole game. Konchecky had few good forward runs and was better than Etherington on the left side today. Judging by today's game (and the one's Ashton featured in) I'd start Zamora ahead of Ashton. I'm not saying Ashton is no good, but I'd still start Zamora ahead of him. Pardew has got four good forwards, three of them which I see are fighting for a place in the starting line-up.