West Ham Utd 2 Everton 2 (04/03/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SL

Post by SL »

Very poor 2nd half today.

Reo-Cokers worst performance of the season imo. Yossi was very quiet aswell.

2 cracking goals from our point of view and bad defending for both of their goals.

Could have easily lost the game.

A good wake up call for our boys.
NE hammer

Post by NE hammer »

Los Martillos wrote:Watching it on SSN, it is impossible to know what is going on. P Reid is such a cock.

Accoring to him we should have lost, had 2 or 3 sent off and Everton should have had a hatful of penalties....oh and they missed a load of chances.....
Sure the tw@t was only shouting when everton scored.
clarke

Post by clarke »

SL wrote:Very poor 2nd half today.

2 cracking goals from our point of view and bad defending for both of their goals.

Agree with what you said.
abel

Post by abel »

Was Guna post something but this..
Very poor 2nd half today.

Sums up everything up.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

SL wrote:Very poor 2nd half today.

Another agreement here - defence lost nearly every defensive header, midfield was awful they cut us apart at times, Liono was poor, Reo-Coker dreadful.

Not sure why they took off Yossi and not Reo-Coker to be fair as I thought at least Yossi could have turned the game on a pass. Marlon & Ashton looked sharp which bodes well.

Did the old c*** get a touch? And why bring Newton on when Dailly could have at least shut the midfield up a bit more?
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

hahah

Post by w4hammer »

bloke behind me was slagging off scaloni for the first half---he thought it was dailly---i really wonder sometimes !
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

oopsd

Post by w4hammer »

double ppost!

prolly a fair result--they completly by-passed/ bossed the midfield today- rather grudging praise for neville i have so say!

having said that-whenever we went forward we were all over them,.

QUALITY finish by Deano.thought he looked great today-some good flickons and hussling

thought Gabbers was great today

we gave them two weak goals...their second i think i counted three errors from us!?

thought we had got over that!!

overall- fair result-we can and must do better than this tho!
paddy

Post by paddy »

abel wrote:Was Guna post something but this..
Sums up everything up.
Shows the value of momentum, and perhaps the crap talked by 'other sides' about having to play too many games. I remember being beaten by 5 from Everton tho, so a touch of context don't hurt!
Israeli_Hammer
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Israeli_Hammer »

Shame we couldn't keep up the quality football we were playing in the first half, in which we played some fantastic on the ground passing football and should some fantastic finishing on both goals. But objectively speaking, Everton deserved at least a point, as they were all over us at the 2nd half. Arteta really impressed me, and Bettie looked like a real threat throughout the match.

On our point of view, I have a feeling that the fact Sven was seating at the crowd harmed us pretty badly. Anton looked very edgy, Konchesky was below par, Etherington never seemed to get going on the left and was well managed by Hibbert, Mullins was quiet, Reo-Coker had a great start but faded away in the 2nd half. Harewood (despite some horrible crosses towards the end) and Ashton are the only ones who probably made it into SGE notes with 2 top quality finishes.

Scaloni was terrible IMO, used his hands way to much for a full back, didn't back-track as well as he should have, and was lucky escape Everton penalty claims and was outpaced easily by Kilbane when he came on. Looked like Repka in a very bad day. Bring back our lost boy from Chelsea please.

Hislop: Couldn't have done nothing at both goals, but didn't pull off any remarkable saves. 6.
Scaloni: Made one nice off-the-line clearance, but as I said really poor. 4
Ferdinand: Looked unfocused for his high standards. Bodychecked their offensive players instead of smart-tackling like he knows to too many times. But nevertheless, had an okay game ant was at fault as far as the goals are concerned. 6.
Gabbidon: Played well until that embracing moment at Everton's 2nd goal, when he should have read the cross and cleared before it even got to Bettie. 6.
Konchesky: The best out of a shaky back 4today, but still not the same Konch of the beginning of the season. 6.
Benayoun: Invisible about 90% of the time he played, set up Harewood's goal well, but not even near his real ability, could use a spell on the bench to get recharged. 5.
Reo-Coker: Looked dynamic as ever in the first half and was involved in both goals, shame that whenever he disappears, the whole team seems to drop a level, and that what's happened in the 2nd half. 6.
Mullins: Filled the minimally required of his central midfield job, but wasn't influential enough to break Everton's on growing momentum after the break. 6.
Etherington: Had some good moves (including a very clever chip to Marlon right after the break, but wasn't at his best, just like the rest of the team today. 6.
Harewood: Fantastic goal on the spin. 7.
Ashton: Quality finish with his left on a tough angle, won a lot of headers and created a lot of problems to the Everton defenders, keep it up Deano. 8.

Nice to keep the unbeaten run going and good to get a point despite an unconvincing performance vs an on form side, but obviously we have to do much better vs Bolton next week.
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

It's a decent result, especially if you remember the crap we saw at UP last season.

Was it 'Claretandbluearmy' that said he would refuse to celebrate when Ashton scored? Are you still refusing to celebrate his goals???????
Tommy-tiger

Post by Tommy-tiger »

Has anyone just seen the brief review of our game on SSN? I hate the fact that our players are never mentioned in relation to England. Beattie whi has had a ***** season to end all ***** seasons, plus he is never ever deserves to pull on an England shirt again, was just asked on SSN:

So James good game, you played well, Sven was obviously watching today, How do think your chances are?

Blah Blah Blah

This is just an absolute joke, he has missed so many absolute sitter's and he is not the sort of player that England need/want.

Is it just me or is this an absolute joke? Sky can be a*seholes sometimes!

Hang-on all the time.
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

As stated poor second half, but Everton did play well, i felt Everton even shaded it first half, but at 2-1 we hould have ended the game, their defence looked weak but we ddn't play. So much for the break, maybe it's better to keep the momentum going rather than to stop for 2 weeks.
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

I haven't read the other posts, but to chip in with one more opinion about today:

Mullins in particular and Reo-Coker today were crap. Really glad to see Duscher's name raised if it shows Pardew is looking at CM.

I am surprised Yossi wasn't picked. There was this thin floppy haired boy loitering around doing nothing; I don't know who he was though.

Marlon demonstrated his inability to keep the ball. Anton didn't do himself any favours in front of Eriksson.

On the plus side, Konchesky's defending wasn't as bad as usual, Ashton's finish was superb, as was Marlon's. We had less of the game in the first half but our finishing was brilliant; in the second half we didn't string three passes together. As I said above, I think this is the responsibility of the CM, though with Yossi and Marlon out of their best positions it is not made easier for the CMs.

I am not too depressed tonight. It is almost a point won rather than two dropped, and there were some encouraging signs. But Mullins especially and also his mate cannot have too many more games where they give the ball away continually, fail to win the tackle, distribute poorly and miscontrol. If you are a Premier league team going for Europe and paying a player a million a year those players need to be more proficient.

I think this is the single biggest problem with our team. Never mind we need to ship in some block of wood to handle right-back competently; we need two men in CM who are capable of receiving, winning, controlling and inventively distributing the ball week in week out. The CMs are the heart of the team, and if they cannot consistently lead and perform then we will consistently go nowhere.

But still, great to see Ashton and Harewood taking their chances. Ashton's strike was really superb.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

THey were very good we were poor. Reo Coiker and Scaloni were awful
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

I was at the game and have just caught the second half bits on Sky. So here are a few thoughts after, probably, too much booze.

Defence looked shakey throughout. Lack of leadership, too many times we wanted a second touch rather than just getting it clear.

Going forwards in the first half we were great as we have been most of the season. We must be a bugger to defend against.

Half time it all went tits up for me. We hardly had any quality possession and few periods of pressure despite being ahead and at home.

Shaka had a good solid game. All other players did some nightmare things and awful passes. Reo-Coker made some great breaks but final balls were simply shocking.

Big worry has to be Lionel at RB. Like watching Repka on bad day today. Could have been sent off. Slow, nasty. He ain't the answer. Or if he is it is a bloody odd question.

The great thing is that I am pissed off that we are not in a EUFA Cup place tonight. Get real!!
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt

Post by bluebutterfly »

If we can play that poorly and draw then it can't be all bad

That Lawro just watched him on MOTD hes like a puppet, whats the point of him being on there
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

Didn't see the game but in reading the reports I wonder if our main problem is a lack of physical presence in midfield. While NRC, Mullins, Matty, and Yossi are all good skilled players none of them is Roy Keane. I think we get outmuscled a lot of times in the middle. A new CM is a priority this summer IMO>
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

I just blame Lawro for predicting a win.

Thatched roof head c@nt.