Bolton Wanderers 4 West Ham Utd 1 (11/03/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

delbert
Has liked: 725 likes
Total likes: 703 likes

Post by delbert »

On the plus side, i bet we're on Match of the Day ...... :lol:
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

We have to move forward.

Young/johnson at rb

Duscher or other suitable world class player at cm

young back up rb

Remember we have noble and cohen hopefully one of these we also make the step up but we need 10mill and not to spread this too thinnly buy quality and not sell anyone.

Hopefully this will improve us and set us up for another top 10 finnish next season!!
cadiz_hammer
Has liked: 1171 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by cadiz_hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I can't believe you're actually suggesting we buy new players on the basis of today's performance... :shock:
Read it again mate. I'm saying that Pards was testing out a few options and I'm suggesting that part of the reason may have been to help him firm up his thinking on which areas he needs to recruit this summer and to show the board that some of the 'cover' players may need replacing with better quality.

I then went on to make my own suggestions as to where we need to strengthen next summer, none of which I linked todays game (which I didn't even see, hence my initial point about not commenting until I'd at least seen the goals !!!!).

Maybe this ain't the right thread to talk about which are key positions to recruit for in the summer, but there ain't no law against it. Does todays game/performance change the fact that we obviously need at least one RB (or two if Lenny leaves in May), better cover in CM or cover for Matty at LM ? Does it change the fact that we look to have enough up front, in goal & at CB (if I was reacting to today's result I might have suggested bringing in another CB as Wardy's "obviously not good enough" but I'm not!) and that we have decent cover at LB (Clarke) & RM (Katan).

So obviously you're right not to believe that I'm suggesting we buy new players on the basis of today's performance because I wasn't.
cadiz_hammer

Post by cadiz_hammer »

Romfordboy wrote:We have to move forward.

Young/johnson at rb

Duscher or other suitable world class player at cm

young back up rb

Remember we have noble and cohen hopefully one of these we also make the step up but we need 10mill and not to spread this too thinnly buy quality and not sell anyone.

Hopefully this will improve us and set us up for another top 10 finnish next season!!
Fair point about Noble & Cohen, but both prefer to play in central midfield. Do you think either can provide decent left-sided cover for Matty ?
Joe C
Darth Lemsip

Post by Joe C »

I agree with some of your points Cadiz, but to call today a disasterous result is a bit knee-jerk really. First proper spanking of the season, against a team on top of their game and progressing each year in the prem.

Just take a step back and look how far we've come compared to where we thought we'd be.

We have some areas that could do with strenghtening sure, but we can't do it all at once.

I'd take what we've done, the way we've done it and the money we've done it with over Chelsea's approach any day of the week. We can feel more pride than most teams out there
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

Plodder wrote: mmm Bolton and Everton classed as Championship sides?

That would ahve been the five above you last season then.

Don't take this the wrong way but West Ham are doing phenomenally well this year. For a team that did finish 6th in the Championship to still be competing in the top half of the Premier league past half way is a tremendous achievement. Yet the fans turn on the manageron a coin toss, or a refereeing decision. FFS get a grip.

I'm sorry you lost 4-1 today. I'd have been happy with 1-0, I'll be happy for any kind of result at UP on Wednesday.

Enjoy the season and see how high you can finish.... I did say 18th at the start of the season....... :oops:
Bolton approach the game no different to Sunderland or many Championship sides we faced last year, the difference is Bolton and Everton have better players and more likely to capitalise on their efforts.

I have watched numerous Bolton games I cannot recall one occassion when I have been left thinking what a great display of football, quality moments and great effort yes but never what I call an entertaining team.

At the end of the day like most lesser clubs (us included) Bolton have fewer qulaity players than the big boys so use tactics that allow them to be effective, the diference is that many other teams also try to entertain whereas Bolton's approach is basically is stop any football being played.

I am not criticising because Bolton's approach is Bolton's business but is a brand of football often used by The Championship sides and that was my point..
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

hawkins_hammer wrote:Pardew Out. Losses are now unacceptable at West Ham.
Apparently so :roll:
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

bluebutterfly wrote: Apparently so :roll:
Last edited by Herts Iron on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Guys,

Just chill out a little. It was a bad day at the office and A.P. has admitted he wanted to try something different and that it didn't work. :?

Don't any of you lot ever get things wrong?

When he changed things around at half time we improved and managed to draw the second half 1-1.

Fat Sam has also said that the first half was the best they have played all season!!

:oops: :oops:

Roll on Wednesday and revenge for the hammers in the cup..... :wink:
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Im pissed off about today, but I know its not the end of the world. **** happens, and today jst happened to be one of those **** days
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

[quote="AlfieG"]Guys,

Just chill out a little. It was a bad day at the office and A.P. has admitted he wanted to try something different and that it didn't work. :?
[quote]

that's how I see it , it was the kind of bad result and performance that all teams have best now to just take it on the chin forget about it and prepare for our next match..
cadiz_hammer

Post by cadiz_hammer »

Joe C wrote:I agree with some of your points Cadiz, but to call today a disasterous result is a bit knee-jerk really. First proper spanking of the season, against a team on top of their game and progressing each year in the prem.

Just take a step back and look how far we've come compared to where we thought we'd be.

We have some areas that could do with strenghtening sure, but we can't do it all at once.

I'd take what we've done, the way we've done it and the money we've done it with over Chelsea's approach any day of the week. We can feel more pride than most teams out there
Fair play. 'Disappointing result' would have been a better phrase.

Totally agree with your comment about doing it our way rather than the Chavski way. But I think we could strengthen in the three areas I suggest all at once this summer. RB & CM are critical, cover for LM & a second RB desirable. But I think Romfordboy is right to say that we shouldn't spread whatever money we've got too thinly; better 2 quality players, guaranteed first-teamers, than the Bungpuss approach of buying seven average players, none of whom turn out to be good enough.
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

hawkins_hammer wrote:Pardew Out. Losses are now unacceptable at West Ham.
Yeah damn right.

I see that Glenn Roeder is doing a great job at Newcastle but doesn't want the job full time. Maybe we can tempt him to take over at West Ham? :lol:
roblo
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 139 likes

Post by roblo »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:I would have been happy with 4th from bottom at the start of the season. Anything else is a bonus. f*ck the result, lets remember we finished 6th in the championship last season.
here here.
todays game was just what i was expecting.
if we lose every game for the rest of the season, it will still be an incredible season.
Northern_Light
Location: Where the Sun keeps on shining, even past the witching hour!

Post by Northern_Light »

Well, I'm not going to lose any sleep over today. I didn't expect to get much out of the game and it must be a bit difficult for the players having played that boring lot 3 times before this match already this season. At least Bolton played a bit more on the ground today, no wonder Fat Sam was crooning, they almost looked like a football team.

The first three Bolton goals all had an element of luck in that the ball dropped in a nice place for them. We definitely didn't have the same luck even though there were a couple of scrambles in the Bolton box. I thought the lads looked tired today, though they improved second half. It might make them hungry for revenge on Wednesday. I'd take a result Wednesday over today.
WestHam4Life

Post by WestHam4Life »

we shouldnt have ****ed the team up today the league is more important than the cup its not like we are gonna win it anyway.

a high finish in the league is more important, but more importantly is the fans. Paid money to see a reserve team today. However as said in another thread the ones who were there didnt really get involved.

A day to forget ... took me back to the days of how i felt walking out of millwall 2 years back
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

This result will brin gall the people who **** the team and Pardew off out in force.

Whoever does is a ****er. :D
Darling

Post by Darling »

it was painful to watch and painful to think about, but there are positives we can take away. I thought Yossi played a lotter better than he has done for a while and while we the fans may have some negative emotions going into the cup game, the players wont. After all, our starting 11 will be very different at UP and players such as Deano, Reo and Marlon will be going all out to prove that when they put on the West Ham shirts, Bolton will find as a completely different proposition to play against.

You also need to consider that we will to an extent be a bit of an unknown quantity for fat sam on wednesday although we should know them like the back of our hand. Granted, they saw our best line-up for the cup game at the Reebok, but at UP we will adopt a very different approach on a better pitch.
Boris Badenov
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Boris Badenov »

Oh well. The game's over, the points are gone, and he's admitted his mistakes. Almost time to move on.

But... I hope Pardew's not jacking in the rest of the season because he's got an obsession with the Cup. Each league position we get means more money to build the squad for next season, not to mention that a place in Europe means we can attract a better class of players...
Arabian Hammer

Post by Arabian Hammer »

I think Cadiz_Hammer has nailed it on the head. This result from this team must have sent a very clear message to the Board that we DO NOT HAVE STRENGTH IN DEPTH. Look what happened over Christmas when we had a few injuries - lost just about everything!

What AP showed yesterday was what would happen to us NOW if there were just a couple of injuries. Stopped the roll we were on pretty quickly didn't it...? If we are going to build for the a better future (can I believe I am actually writing this?) we need to invest.

The questions of "what positions" and "who" is irrelevant at the minute. Unless the board commits to spending, discussing this is all just hot air. Hopefully they received a wake up call.