West Ham Utd 2 Portsmouth 4 (18/03/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Andy

West Ham Utd 2 Portsmouth 4 (18/03/05)

Post by Andy »

cant find one anywhere (even did a search) so I thought i would do this after reading Harrys comments on Yahoo just now:

Harry eyes Hammers boost
Mon 13 Mar, 11:51 AM

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has turned his attention to taking three points from his former club West Ham after the morale-boosting victory against Manchester City.

Five of Pompey's remaining nine fixtures are at home, which could give them the edge over their relegation rivals, but it is the trip to east London which is of immediate concern to Redknapp.

"We've got West Ham at Upton Park next and three more points there will set us up nicely," said Redknapp. "It is a crunch game but then again all the games left are going to be like cup finals.

"If we had lost against City I think our relegation fight would have been all over, but now we have a big chance of staying in there. It keeps us going."

I posted in the Bolton thread yesterday that I really wanted a result against them tomorrow. Now all I want is to stuff Pompey on Saturday and help to send them down. Saggy faced old git

at least 2 nil to the Hammers
Pilly

Post by Pilly »

I read in the Romford Recorders Hammers Pages that if we beat Bolton that the Pompey game is postponed, cant see this anywhere else though.

Anyone heard/seen this.
pennywisepeter

Post by pennywisepeter »

Hurrah, it's going to be my first match at UP for 3 years! Going with my missus' Dad, his first EVER trip... :wink:
norfy

Post by norfy »

think it depends how replay on wed goes...if we win then we got big fa cup game bang on top of this one and its either away in manc land or brumsville...so i think pards will make changes and field a weakened side coz he will go all out for the cup!
so if we in fa cup still then just a 1-0 or draw for me...if we get knocked out then i think we will win it by a bigger margin!
Andy

Post by Andy »

Pilly wrote:I read in the Romford Recorders Hammers Pages that if we beat Bolton that the Pompey game is postponed, cant see this anywhere else though.

Anyone heard/seen this.
the game is on according to everyone, except it seems, the Romford Recorder!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

whoosh
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Christ, one down, another one back up.

Erm, 3-0 to the mighty, MIGHTY Irons!
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

2-1 to West Ham
Harewood-3.16

Post by Harewood-3.16 »

How shud we line up, got the FA Cup Qtrs first and IMO we shud rest a few players

Hislop
Scaloni Ferdinand Gabbs Clarke
Katan Benayoun Daily/Fletcher Etherington
Harewood Zamora
Bench: Walker Ashton Reo Cocker Konch Sheringham

Give Mullins the day off and give Konch a rest on the bench, cud give Etherington a rest but cant flirt with his form IMO. Even with that side we shud win 2-1.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

3-1 west ham
I am law

Post by I am law »

Harewood-3.16 wrote:How shud we line up, got the FA Cup Qtrs first and IMO we shud rest a few players

Hislop
Scaloni Ferdinand Gabbs Clarke
Katan Benayoun Daily/Fletcher Etherington
Harewood Zamora
Bench: Walker Ashton Reo Cocker Konch Sheringham

Give Mullins the day off and give Konch a rest on the bench, cud give Etherington a rest but cant flirt with his form IMO. Even with that side we shud win 2-1.
Yr right about Clarke, but why not put Wardy straight back in and give Gabs or Anton a rest? Those two need a big game at Eastlands.

A win against a doomed side should erase the worries Ward might have after being Reebokked recently
Harewood-3.16

Post by Harewood-3.16 »

I am law wrote: Yr right about Clarke, but why not put Wardy straight back in and give Gabs or Anton a rest? Those two need a big game at Eastlands.

A win against a doomed side should erase the worries Ward might have after being Reebokked recently
Good point, we wud have to rest Gabbs then, Its more then clear that Gabbs and Ward have no understanding whatsoever.
I am law

Post by I am law »

Harewood-3.16 wrote: Good point, we wud have to rest Gabbs then, Its more then clear that Gabbs and Ward have no understanding whatsoever.
Back to Cardiff with Anton and Elliott :wink:
lynothehammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by lynothehammer »

Hmmm a very tough game me thinks, hopefully we can get a win but depends on what is classed as more important now ? the League or the FA Cup !

I'm gonna go with a draw for this one...
Harewood-3.16

Post by Harewood-3.16 »

lynothehammer wrote:Hmmm a very tough game me thinks, hopefully we can get a win but depends on what is classed as more important now ? the League or the FA Cup !

I'm gonna go with a draw for this one...
Id say the FA Cup is more important, getting a Europe spot in the league is unrealistic cos we have a tough run home, I still cant see us losing this game, I dont think Portsmouth will score, we shudnt rest everyone but id like v Bolton rest 5 players.
ghinzani

Post by ghinzani »

Surely Yaniv has to be played in this one? I'm sure he will do ok against Pompey.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2615 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

...I think we should rest a few players for Pompey,

a) I'm an old traditionalist and love the magic of the cup so reckon we should concentrate on that as (crosses fingers) we are OK in the league. 3 games on 5 days is a big ask and a few of the team looked like they could struggle with that many games

b) give some of the fringe players a chance to shine - we may unearth another option and the experience would give us more depth. Also, it would ginger up some of the regulars who might otherwise become a bit complacent

and

c) would be great to stuff H with a second XI !!
Aberdeen Hammer

Post by Aberdeen Hammer »

I think we should give Katan a run out. I would like to see what he could do and this would be an ideal chance.
norse
Has liked: 380 likes
Total likes: 838 likes

Post by norse »

I'd be happy with a point v pompey if I'm honest. Give a bunch of players a rest and bring up some of the young ones, like Reid and Ephraim. A shame Noble is currently on loan, he could start instead of Yossi, who look really tired yesterday.

This could be a possible line-up, not really good enough to get three points, but anyway:

Hislop
Scaloni-Anton-Ward-Clarke
Katan-Benayoun-Fletcher/Dailly-Kyel Reid
Sheringham
Zamora

Sub Scaloni and Benayoun in the second half.