Manchester Utd 1 West Ham Utd 0 (23/03/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Boris Badenov
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Boris Badenov »

I thought it was a good effort. Next time we're at OT we'll be stronger and that much more experienced. 8-)

Don't forget that just 12 months ago we were tenth in the Championship and struggling. We've come a way since then.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I lie the blame of losing on Harewood 100%. I like the fella don't get me wrong can't argue with 14 goals but there is no excuse for what he did. He came running back to cover Park but might as well not bothered he ran in so fast that i could have turned inside him with no sweat then came the big one for me... The ball loops up in the air seconds before half time on the edge of our box Pique and Marlon underneath it and marlons feet never left the ground. No excuse for me not to jump and put pressure on him and Pique nodded it down to Park unchallenged.

Gutted so close but for one lack of effort we lose out.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Was really haoping Ladbrokes were going to take a hammering last night, alot of people were getting on the ashton to score first and us to win 1-0 at 100/1.

I was most disappointed when Ashton couldnt find the net first half :cry:
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Dannyboylister wrote:I lie the blame of losing on Harewood 100%. I like the fella don't get me wrong can't argue with 14 goals but there is no excuse for what he did. He came running back to cover Park but might as well not bothered he ran in so fast that i could have turned inside him with no sweat then came the big one for me... The ball loops up in the air seconds before half time on the edge of our box Pique and Marlon underneath it and marlons feet never left the ground. No excuse for me not to jump and put pressure on him and Pique nodded it down to Park unchallenged.

I can see your point, but ill bring up the old saying that he cost us 500k.

He can be amazing at times, but other times he just doesnt seem to be at the races, fact is if he was brilliant game in game out and his heading and the few other things which let him down were better then he would be at one of the top clubs in this league banging goals in for fun.
daveo
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by daveo »

I lie the blame of losing on Harewood 100%
Come on mate that is REALLY unfair. I was at the game and Marlon had a reasonable game and worked hard but didn't get much service.Thought he was better than Deano on the night.

Lets be clear,Man Utd were considerably better than us on the night esp in the second half and hit the post,bar and had several other close efforts.I felt 2-0 would have been a fair scoreline on balance as we didn't really trouble Van Der Sar.

Having said that I feel we were far from disgraced and considering their 3rd most expensive player (Van Nist after Rio and Rooney)prob cost more than our entire team it was a pretty good display on our part.

Felt Bobby and Teddy could have come on at least 10 mins earlier than they did as Deano had a quiet night and Yossi faded a bit in the second half.
Billericay Hammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Billericay Hammer »

Dannyboylister wrote:I lie the blame of losing on Harewood 100%. I like the fella don't get me wrong can't argue with 14 goals but there is no excuse for what he did. He came running back to cover Park but might as well not bothered he ran in so fast that i could have turned inside him with no sweat then came the big one for me... The ball loops up in the air seconds before half time on the edge of our box Pique and Marlon underneath it and marlons feet never left the ground. No excuse for me not to jump and put pressure on him and Pique nodded it down to Park unchallenged.

Agree with most of what you say, although you can't put all of the blame at Marlon’s door. However as you say he could of done more for the goal and to be honest he was pretty disappointing the whole night.

Considering the way his been playing in recent months, you would image that his confidence is sky high and that playing at Old Trafford in front of 69,000 people that he would have been well up for it, however that just didn’t' seem to be the case. He looked like his old self at times last night, not enough effort and generally not looking interested, which as I say considering how well his been playing, was very disappointing.

However on a positive note, our support was superb and from start to finish we didn’t stop signing.
comeonyouirons
Location: On the march with Gold & Sullivan to the Olympic Stadium...

Post by comeonyouirons »

Billericay Hammer wrote: Agree with most of what you say, although you can't put all of the blame at Marlon’s door. However as you say he could of done more for the goal and to be honest he was pretty disappointing the whole night.

Considering the way his been playing in recent months, you would image that his confidence is sky high and that playing at Old Trafford in front of 69,000 people that he would have been well up for it, however that just didn’t' seem to be the case. He looked like his old self at times last night, not enough effort and generally not looking interested, which as I say considering how well his been playing, was very disappointing.

However on a positive note, our support was superb and from start to finish we didn’t stop signing.
Agree with what you say Billericay.

You can't argue 14 goals.
But if Marlon put in a top effort performance in every game and looked interested in every game for 90 minutes we would be talking about 21 goals and marlon heading for the World Cup.

On the World Cup loved the England chant last night! :wink:
Arabian Hammer

Post by Arabian Hammer »

Anybody who was at the match care to comment on where Ethers was all night? Watching on the box he never seemed to be really in it.

Also - why did we back-off down the right flank? Evre looked like their weakest link and we worked on him for 20 mins, then we seemed to forget about that and reverted back to the left (as normal) where we were well stifled. So what caused us to do that?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Arabian Hammer wrote:Anybody who was at the match care to comment on where Ethers was all night? Watching on the box he never seemed to be really in it.

Also - why did we back-off down the right flank? Evre looked like their weakest link and we worked on him for 20 mins, then we seemed to forget about that and reverted back to the left (as normal) where we were well stifled. So what caused us to do that?
I think it might have been because of Scaloni, I think him being under pressure forces Yossi further back to help out and in turn Matty comes more central looking for the ball, which already was congested like Liverpool Street Station at 5 a clock in the evening.