Chelsea 4 West Ham Utd 1 (09/04/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 344 likes

Post by Major »

FloridaHammer wrote:We're obviously not ready for prime time. If West Ham are to raise their profile they need to play better against the Big Boys are be more consistent. Very dissapointing.

What does that mean??
Rich WHUFC

Post by Rich WHUFC »

to me one of our big problems is (and not only today) that we need to get closer to opposition players BEFORE they receive the ball, so we're not chasing shadows like today, also panics the player trying to pass…

Chelsea looked like they had the extra man today and I think this is the main reason for that
Last edited by Rich WHUFC on Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

Major wrote:
What does that mean??
That we were a rough English BSE steak has opposed the Chelski juicy 16oz piece of Texas longhorn.

Florida Hammer - You still in Arizona?
Dan M

well

Post by Dan M »

Just shows you how **** the Chelsea fans are 4-1 up with 10 men all you could hear were West Ham even though we are loud you would at least expect some chelski to sing??
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

What was the support like today. Must admit, thought I heard a few Chelski songs in the pub but plenty of West Ham as well.

Also, anyone see that Chelski c*** wearing the Soviet style hat behind Mourinho's dugout. Quite clealry has never been to a Chelsea game pre-Abramovich :evil: :evil:
Rich WHUFC

Post by Rich WHUFC »

West Ham took the piss big time outside after :)
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 344 likes

Post by Major »

Rich WHUFC wrote:West Ham took the piss big time outside after :)
wasnt exactly intimidating though was it :lol:
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

If only.... wrote: No, sorry mate.

Chelsea rarely pummel teams, they just do enough to win. We rolled over for them. Almost like we were embarrassed at being one up and having the good fortune of playing ten men. It would have been impolite of us to capitalise on that.

I cannot see how we could not have dug in and made it harder for them if only by work and determination. How often do we we hear that teams come to UP and make life difficult for us by putting ten men behind the ball and fighting like their lives depended on it?
Agree...Totally gutted. Were the boys on the sauce last night???? We just didn't show up. I hope Pardew just rips into them!! That was embarrasing. I am not bummed about losing I just can't stand the fact that we were strolling around, uninspired and looking like there was no point, no thread. Where oh where is LEADERSHIP on the field????? Someone to give the boys stick when not performing.
Lastly,, Why oh Why do we keep dumping the long balls in ...any fool can see that we just give up posession every time. I think psychologically we did ourselves alot of damage today in terms of confidence for the semi's.
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

Major wrote: wasnt exactly intimidating though was it :lol:
I was scared by those three Japanese tourists on the other platform! Especially the one with the Matrix sunglasses on!
Dynamo Keiff

Post by Dynamo Keiff »

Yes we were poor, yes we should have played better against 10 men but the negative things I have read on here is bull****! All of us at the start of the season would have feared this fixture because we would have thought we would have been involved in a relegation battle!

I am as dissapointed as the next man about today but we have a semi final to look forward to and revenge against Gayski when we beat them in the final! :wink:
Rich WHUFC

Post by Rich WHUFC »

I was slightly intimidated on the train surrounded by chavs bouncing about to twist and shout!
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by MadMart »

MadMart wrote:GULP - I really don't fancy this one - they are due to give someone a good tonking, and I fear it may be us.

I reckon there will be a lot of fighting, some sh*t referee decisions and we get beat 2-0.

Sorry, but that's how I see it (really I think we'll get beat 4-1)

Anything better will be a bonus - I'd love to win this one - a real David against Goliath in terms of money v mostly home grown talent and grafting.

Off to put the kettle and TV on - enjoy it folks - it could be a bloodbath

Come On you IRONS
Nobody likes a smug git - but I did say 4-1.

Thought we were **** today - especially Ashton and NRC - poor tactics, sticking with Deano up front
WestHam4Life

Post by WestHam4Life »

few top lads from chelsea ran up to my mate jumped infront of him and then ran off, there boys were singing wheres ya famous icf as we was all singing. All the west ham were about 16 and these big top boys were giving it the biggen. Then when the fans seperated again west ham took da piss 'did u come to upton park'.

Must be something to do with the running that had to do at victoria before the game :lol:
WHUFC TILL I DIE
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by WHUFC TILL I DIE »

A couple of them did have something to say about West Ham walking around their place tacking the piss to their faces unopposed - I saw a 40 year old man try to call it on with a 13 & 14 year old, shout "wheres your famous ICF" then "your not ****ing West Ham anymore!" (the irony) & walk straight off :lol: . Maybe you had to be there.. priceless. The tube back was a good laugh as well
WestHam4Life

Post by WestHam4Life »

WHUFC TILL I DIE wrote: A couple of them did have something to say about West Ham walking around their place tacking the piss to their faces unopposed - I saw a 40 year old man try to call it on with a 13 & 14 year old, shout "wheres your famous ICF" then "your not f*cking West Ham anymore!" (the irony) & walk straight off :lol: . Maybe you had to be there.. priceless. The tube back was a good laugh as well
i was there when he said that fuckin big eared prick
WHUFC TILL I DIE

WestHam4Life wrote: few top lads from chelsea ran up to my mate jumped infront of him and then ran off, there boys were singing wheres ya famous icf as we was all singing. All the west ham were about 16 and these big top boys were giving it the biggen. Then when the fans seperated again west ham took da piss 'did u come to upton park'.

Must be something to do with the running that had to do at victoria before the game :lol:
I think you saw what I saw, had me in stitches.. :lol:
WestHam4Life

Post by WestHam4Life »

WHUFC TILL I DIE wrote: I think you saw what I saw, had me in stitches.. :lol:
his mate grabbed my mate and then ran off. Few of the others looked half decent but as you say 14 or 15 year old kids :lol:
WHUFC TILL I DIE

It was a good day out actually, even if I am fuming a bit - dont enjoy losing to them c****.

Did I imagine things or were Chelsea also singing 2-1, 3-1 etc to the cockney boys? Now before people jump down my throat about upton park itself being just outside of the sound of bow bells, I can tell you one place that is certainly no where near - Fulham
Last edited by WHUFC TILL I DIE on Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SL

Post by SL »

A lot of people are pointing a finger of blame at Pardews tactic to play Marlon wide right and Ashton up top on his own.

I dont think this was a tactical mistake at all because this very same tactic has worked wonders for us away from home on a number of occaisions. Even at home some times.

The best example was away to Arsenal. We were under the cosh playing 442 with Bobby and Marlon up top. Pards pulled Marlon wide and left Bobby up top. Then we started to get a hold in the game, scored 2 goals soon after and then went on to win the game.

I even remember the first time we played this tactic away to Chelski in the Carling Cup 2 seasons ago. We played Bobby up top, Marlon on the right, Matty on the left with Reo-Coker, A Nowland and Steve Lomas as the midfield 3 (IIRC). We played fantastic depsite losing 1-0. You all remember the game. It was the Walker pen save from Fat Frank.

The reason the tactic didnt pay off for us today is simply because we didnt compete with Chelski. We didnt work anywhere near hard enough. Nobody was closing down and nobody from midfield was brave enough to get up and support Deano.

When we beat Arsenal at Highbury using this tactic, every single West Ham player gave 110%. Today not a single West Ham player gave 10%.

Today was not a tactical error imo.
clarke

Post by clarke »

SL wrote:A lot of people are pointing a finger of blame at Pardews tactic to play Marlon wide right and Ashton up top on his own.

I dont think this was a tactical mistake at all because this very same tactic has worked wonders for us away from home on a number of occaisions. Even at home some times.

The best example was away to Arsenal. We were under the cosh playing 442 with Bobby and Marlon up top. Pards pulled Marlon wide and left Bobby up top. Then we started to get a hold in the game, scored 2 goals soon after and then went on to win the game.

I even remember the first time we played this tactic away to Chelski in the Carling Cup 2 seasons ago. We played Bobby up top, Marlon on the right, Matty on the left with Reo-Coker, A Nowland and Steve Lomas as the midfield 3 (IIRC). We played fantastic depsite losing 1-0. You all remember the game. It was the Walker pen save from Fat Frank.

The reason the tactic didnt pay off for us today is simply because we didnt compete with Chelski. We didnt work anywhere near hard enough. Nobody was closing down and nobody from midfield was brave enough to get up and support Deano.

When we beat Arsenal at Highbury using this tactic, every single West Ham player gave 110%. Today not a single West Ham player gave 10%.

Today was not a tactical error imo.
Good post, we didn't want it as much. As much as i hate to say it, Drogba played really well, battled for everything, he's still a c*nt tho