West Ham Utd 1 Manchester City 0 (15/04/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Looking at other fixtures (Everton yet to play at Chelsea and 'Boro, Charlton at Man Utd and Bolton) I reckon one more win should be enough to guarantee a top-half finish ... looking good.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

well done to jimmy for a clean sheet!
anyone know how he played? sounded like a few good saves on bbc text
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Expanding on that, here's the run-ins for those around us:

6. Blackburn (P 33, Pts 54)

H - Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea A - Birmingham, Charlton

8. Bolton (P 33, Pts 48)

H - Charlton, 'Boro, Birmingham A - West Brom, Tottenham

9. Newcastle (P 34, Pts 48)

H- West Brom, Chelsea A - Birmingham, Sunderland

10. Wigan (P 34 Pts 48)

H - Villa, Portsmouth A - Fulham, Arsenal

11. Everton (P 34 Pts 45)

H - Birmingham, West Brom A - Chelsea, 'Boro

12. Charlton (P 34, Pts 44)

H - Portsmouth, Blackburn A - Bolton, Man Utd

and ours:

H - Liverpool, Tottenham A - 'Boro, West Brom
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Ben wrote:well done to jimmy for a clean sheet!
anyone know how he played? sounded like a few good saves on bbc text
Stopped 2 one-on-one shots, I think he was MOM alongside Sacloni.
one fine morning....

Post by one fine morning.... »

walker was outstanding...kept us in it

mullins had a superb first half and was ok in the second

gabbidon and collins were impressive again

thought ashton showed that he needs to get to the summer, have a break and then a proper Pardew-style pre-season. will be a different player next season but needs better service rather than the ball lumped up to him

nice to see a squad player win the match for us

zamora may have done enough to convince pards that he could start with marlon in the cup...gave us a good outlet on the left in matty's absence whenever he pulled over to the wing

great three points considering their second offside goal should have counted...ref was absymal for both teams.
one fine morning....

Post by one fine morning.... »

hammers4life wrote:how did bobby and deano get on. did the partnership work?
didn't work...but very little service from the wings in matty's absence and benayoun had a free role to cut inside from the left

zamora was definitely the brighter, ashton was pretty sluggish but didn't get much support
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Just back...played very well first half, they were all over us most of the second. That said we held out well and there were some great performances out there. Ashton though, was abysmal.
Ratings:
Walker-9 MOTM Made two top-draw saves, the one from Sinclair IMO was save-of-the-season.
Scaloni-6 Really jekyl and hyde performance. Sometimes dreadful, but made a goal-saving block from Samaras.
Gabbidon-8 Very imprressive, our best defender on the day.
Collins-7 Did well, won a lot of headers
Konchesky-6 Not bad but first touch, crossing and free-kicks all still poor.
Benayoun-7 Much better Yossi, dangerous throughout.
Reo-Coker-7 Solid game, made some good runs as well.
Mullins-7 Excellent first half, faded a little in the second but played well.
Newton-7 Very good and very well taken goal. Am I the only one left wondering why we haven't used him when resting players earlier in the season? :?
Ashton-4 Really very poor today, should have been brought off at half time.
Zamora-7 Great movement and did brilliantly in setting up the only goal

SUBS
Harewood-6 Did well but didn't make a major contribution.
Fletcher-5 Not enough time
Sheringham-5 Not enough time

Very happy bunny tonight. A place in Europe via the league is still not impossible, but more realistically lets finish in the top 8 and get the extra placings money as a result. 8-)
Stratford Hammer
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Stratford Hammer »

one fine morning.... wrote:walker was outstanding...kept us in it

mullins had a superb first half and was ok in the second

gabbidon and collins were impressive again

thought ashton showed that he needs to get to the summer, have a break and then a proper Pardew-style pre-season. will be a different player next season but needs better service rather than the ball lumped up to him

nice to see a squad player win the match for us

zamora may have done enough to convince pards that he could start with marlon in the cup...gave us a good outlet on the left in matty's absence whenever he pulled over to the wing

great three points considering their second offside goal should have counted...ref was absymal for both teams.
I agree with all of that. To be honest I feel we robbed city today.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

dodger wrote:Just back...played very well first half, they were all over us most of the second. That said we held out well and there were some great performances out there. Ashton though, was abysmal.
Ratings:
Walker-9 MOTM Made two top-draw saves, the one from Sinclair IMO was save-of-the-season.
Scaloni-6 Really jekyl and hyde performance. Sometimes dreadful, but made a goal-saving block from Samaras.
Gabbidon-8 Very imprressive, our best defender on the day.
Collins-7 Did well, won a lot of headers
Konchesky-6 Not bad but first touch, crossing and free-kicks all still poor.
Benayoun-7 Much better Yossi, dangerous throughout.
Reo-Coker-7 Solid game, made some good runs as well.
Mullins-7 Excellent first half, faded a little in the second but played well.
Newton-7 Very good and very well taken goal. Am I the only one left wondering why

we haven't used him when resting players earlier in the season

Ashton-4 Really very poor today, should have been brought off at half time.
Zamora-7 Great movement and did brilliantly in setting up the only goal

SUBS
Harewood-6 Did well but didn't make a major contribution.
Fletcher-5 Not enough time
Sheringham-5 Not enough time

Very happy bunny tonight. A place in Europe via the league is still not impossible, but more realistically lets finish in the top 8 and get the extra placings money as a result. 8-)

agree with all of that dodger. but think you was a bit harsh on konch :wink: also we need to work on ashtons fitnes looks very sluggish and i would have taken him off first instead of zamora. thoght city was worth a draw myself.
mattandbenny

Post by mattandbenny »

I'd start with Zamora and Marlon in the cup semi, DEano seems to have lost it.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

A god first half, but they was all over us in the second. Deano wasn't playing well and shouldn't have stayed on as long as he did.

We got a result so thats all that matters.
clarkerm_

Post by clarkerm_ »

Shame that Deano seems to have gone off the boil - Pre season with Norwich isn't upto standard apparently......He's done well enough for us this season so far though considering the time he's been here.

Zamora and Marlon would be my choice up front for a bit, they were outstanding earlier in the season!
wanstead
Raw Meat
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by wanstead »

Started brightly for first 15 mins, with Zamora particularly sharp - he set up Newton nicely - nutmegging Thatcher.

The second half we failed to wake up and was not pretty to watch.

Good to see Jimmy Walker back in goal - two superb saves - the one from Sinclair was top drawer.

Jimmy Walker MOM - followed by Collins and Gabbidon.

Over 34,000 crowd - who gave a good reception to Pearce, Sinclair and James.

Up to 7th .....
Last edited by wanstead on Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Delephant Man

Post by The Delephant Man »

Well done Jimmy Walker, some superb saves. Also distributed the ball quick and accurately whenever he had the chance.

Bobby Z also looked sharp and on his toes, I really wanted him to score today, thought he deserved to.

I really enjoyed the game today, there was some nice football from both sides. :D
resus

Post by resus »

Congrats Jimmy Walker the clean sheet says it all! :niceone:
rolokinghydrofoil

Post by rolokinghydrofoil »

resus wrote:Congrats Jimmy Walker the clean sheet says it all! :niceone:
If I were a city fan, or even a neutral, I might say that the clean sheet says that the linesmen don't know what they're doing. But I'm not, so happy days.
Rich WHUFC

Post by Rich WHUFC »

Glad Jimmy played over Shaka, think his saves today won us the match, not sure if Shaka would have kept them out…
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

Been back from the game for a while, had a bite to eat and digested what I saw today. Some random points:

Jimmy Walker - I felt much happier with him between the sticks than I do Shaka. Even when we were under extreme pressure and the one on ones came up, I had faith that Jimmy would do the business. This is my number one choice for the rest of the season and certainly should be considered stern competition for that starting place even when Carroll returns.

Bobby Zamora - Has carried some slating lately for his sub appearances but today he was off the hook. First half he showed an energy and passion that I love seeing in players. Second half he faded but then so did everyone to be fair. I don't know why, but I genuinely like Bobby even if he's not the trickiest or the best and I was chuffed he got a chance today. Just wish he had got a goal to reward his industry.

Dean Ashton - Got some stick today I noticed when he was finally substituted. A good player who has been cursed with a price tag he didn't decide and is going through a rough patch. However, Pards needs to consider the whole situation rather than just how much he paid for him. Marlon and Bobby should have led the second half but I wonder if Ashton was continued because of the transfer fee etc?

All in all a good result because it was a very tough battle second half. I'm being optimistic tonight, I even gave Lenny some praise for his saving tackle. Now I'll willing take a loss at Boro in order to win next weekend.
:wink:
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Not a good performance today but 3 points in the bag.Thought Jimmy was superb best shot-stopper at the club.Defence looked solid enough but Konch looked like he missed Matty in front of him.Deano looked well below par today and think Bobby was a little unfortunate to get taken off when he did.Not a good game to watch spoilt mainly by Bennett and the 2 linesmen who stopped the game at every opportunity.
Etherington12

Post by Etherington12 »

I thought Scaloni was a liability and woeful at times, done a few quality tackles, but he has no pace whatsoever and just gets walked past at times and doesn't even close the angle up, this could prove costly in the future.