Middlesbrough 2 West Ham Utd 0 (17/04/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SL

Post by SL »

What a ***** game.

Roll on Sunday.

COME ON YOU IRONS !!!!!!!!!!!!
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Now the phoney war is over .........lert battle commence .
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Canadianhammer wrote:Yeah I'm concerned about our goal avg too...We have one of the worst goals against records in the league, and are not putting many away at the other end...
I am not as confident that we can suddenly turn it on when needed. That's a dangerous game to play.
If I were Pards now, I wouldn't be so concerned as to the positioning play, or strategy I would be more concerned about work ethic, confidence, and making sure we get a strong collective effort. ALL players need to perform well on the day!!
Pardew needs to give them all some stick. Too many players underperforming for my liking i.e.
Ashton
NRC
Benayoun
Scaloni Baloni
Sherringham
there's more too... but you guys know who they are better than me...A team just cannot carry that many floaters. As they say in Canada...It's time to sh*t or get off the pot. Rather crass but you get the point.
Coach must breath fire into them!!

:evil:
Nice knee jerk reaction mate.

I watched the game today and I can assure you that we played pretty well.

It was a good team performance and we deserved better. (But we were very fortunate on Sat so there you go. It aint the end of the world).

A bit more composure from Marlon and Ashton and we could have got a draw.

Reasons to be cheerful.

Marlon ripped their back four to pieces in the first half. They will not look forward to playing against him next Sunday.

Matty and Yossi will be back to add that missing dimension from todays game.
A bit of pace to stretch them and some guile from Yossi. :wink:

They will all be very up for it next Sunday A.P. will not need to 'give them some stick' because they know what is required from the game.

Cardiff here we come........

C'Mon you Irons!!
Whammer

Post by Whammer »

look at the stats, we had one more effort on goal than them and nearly 60% of the possession throughout the game..

Middlesbrough West Ham United
2 Goals 0
5 Shots on Target 4
6 Shots off Target 8
2 Blocked Shots 2
4 Corners 7
6 Fouls 15
2 Offsides 5
0 Yellow Cards 1
0 Red Cards 0
42% Possession 58%
mattandbenny

Post by mattandbenny »

How did Katan do?
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Middlesbrough will happily settle for their 2-0 victory over West Ham in six days' time as they gave themselves a vital psychological edge ahead of the FA Cup semi final re-run between the two.

MatthewLewis/GettyImages
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink battles with Danny Gabbidon.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's 17th goal of the season and a second-half spot-kick from Massimo Maccarone served notice of Boro's intent ahead of Sunday's clash.

With that game sandwiching a two-legged UEFA Cup semi-final against Steaua Bucharest, boss Steve McClaren's side at least approach the most important eight days in the club's history high on confidence.

As dress rehearsals go, though, it was hardly a warm-up to take too much notice of because with bigger fish to fry, McClaren made nine changes to the side beaten 1-0 at Portsmouth on Saturday.

There may be those detractors wondering why McClaren fails to field his strongest line-up for every match, but with safety long secured and with the two semi-finals looming, he had every right to do so.

On this occasion his two in-form strikers in Hasselbaink and Mark Viduka were restored to the starting line-up, while 19-year-old David Wheater was handed a full debut at centre back.

After just three substitute appearances and a loan spell at Doncaster to his name, this was a chance for Wheater to shine.

However, with just over five minutes elapsed he almost handed the Hammers the opener on a plate, only for goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer to spare his blushes.

The visitors, with longer to prepare for next Sunday's semi-final, showed only four changes, and it was two of those in Yaniv Katan and Marlon Harewood who combined to create that opening chance.

The Israeli's inswinging cross from the left wing fell to Harewood, but only after an horrendous slice at the ball from Wheater.

Fortunately, Schwarzer produced a point-blank save to turn the ball away from a 10-yard drive, leaving Harewood with his head in his hands.

That was as close as West Ham came in the opening half for although they enjoyed the greater possession, it was Boro who always looked the more likely to score.

The home side, though, had to wait until the 18th minute for their opening opportunity, with Doriva firing a 20-yard drive inches over the crossbar.

That had followed what the Hammers fans thought was Teddy Sheringham becoming the first 40-year-old to score in the Premiership.

But their cheers died in their throats when they saw his shot from 15 yards bounce behind the Boro goal, with the situation worsened as he had handled Hislop's long goal-kick en route and was booked.

Following that, Franck Queudrue was presented with a golden chance by Hasselbaink and Viduka in the 22nd minute, only to fire his shot across the face of goal when it appeared easier to score.

After Hasselbaink had been thwarted by Shaka Hislop, and Sheringham had curled a 25-yard free-kick narrowly over, it was Boro's veteran forward who broke the deadlock four minutes from the break.

Matthew Bates played a one-two with Maccarone - operating on the right wing - with the right-back pulling the ball in from the byline for Hasselbaink to drive home his 13th goal since the turn of the year in 19 appearances.

After replacing Viduka at the break with Malcolm Christie - making his second consecutive substitute appearance after 14 months out with a stress fracture of his foot - Boro doubled their lead in the 57th minute.

Shaun Newton bundled over Adam Johnson in the area, allowing Maccarone to drill home the resultant spot-kick into the bottom right-hand corner, despite a laboured run-up that suggested otherwise.

After James Collins denied Wheater the chance of a stooping header and Hislop blocked a near-post flick from Queudrue - both from successive Maccarone corner - Pardew made a triple substitution.

On came Bobby Zamora, Dean Ashton and Carl Fletcher for Katan, Harewood and Lionel Scaloni, and the Hammers at least finished the stronger.

Boro, though, were content to preserve what they had as chances went begging for the visitors.

Mullins whistled a long-range drive past the post; Newton curled a right-footed shot narrowly wide, while Sheringham powered a header narrowly off target.

After penalty appeals against one of Boro's three substitutions in Andrew Taylor showed Newton's attempted cross had hit his chest, Ashton summed up West Ham's day by blazing over from close range in the final minute with the goal at his mercy.
Southend Hammer

Post by Southend Hammer »

mattandbenny wrote:How did Katan do?
Disappointing, I wanted him to do well. Hard to remember him doing anything useful. The few touches he showed when he came on as sub at the start of the year have disappeared. His positional play wasn't good either.

A loan out to championship team next year would probably be good for him.
Southend Hammer

Post by Southend Hammer »

This game didn't worry me too much. Considering we had both Ethers and Yossi out and still managed to set up 3 sitters is encouraging.

No surprises Scaloni is a liability. I was pleased that NRC had more impact in midfield than in previous games.

Ashton, Sherringham and Harewood would have scored with those chances most of the time. It is likely to be Harewood and Ashton from the off next week and if things aren't going our way at half time Pards should bring on Bobby. He is always up for it and needs more than 20 minutes to force his way into the game.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

ooops

Post by w4hammer »

oo-err...any news on gabbers!? i really didnt care THAT much about the result....more about coming through without any injuries?!1

any insight or news would be good
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Re: ooops

Post by If only.... »

w4hammer wrote:oo-err...any news on gabbers!? i really didnt care THAT much about the result....more about coming through without any injuries?!1

News on Gabbers could be more important than the result. We need him for the semi.

The forecast I heard is that Anton is very doubtful but Ethers might make it. Anyone know the latest?
EMI
Has liked: 128 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by EMI »

Cheer up folks, there are plenty of positive to take from this.

We played ok today, created plenty of chances, without Yossi and Matty, just need to take one, both Marlon & Deano missed good chances today which on any other day they would have scored.

Their pen looked dubious (from our end anyway)

We had one definite and one 'seen em given' pens denied both for handball.

Their fans were appalling today out sung by us with ease. There will be ten times our numbers next week and only just over half of theirs.

They have a long trip in Europe next week

We lost in the league to fat sam's lot and then turned 'em over in the cup

We just need to keep the faith
mattcox10

Post by mattcox10 »

EMI wrote:Cheer up folks, there are plenty of positive to take from this.

We played ok today, created plenty of chances, without Yossi and Matty, just need to take one, both Marlon & Deano missed good chances today which on any other day they would have scored.

Their pen looked dubious (from our end anyway)

We had one definite and one 'seen em given' pens denied both for handball.

Their fans were appalling today out sung by us with ease. There will be ten times our numbers next week and only just over half of theirs.

They have a long trip in Europe next week

We lost in the league to fat sam's lot and then turned 'em over in the cup

We just need to keep the faith
What he said.
martwhu

Post by martwhu »

thought katan had a mare to be fair was at fault for the 1st goal for not tracking the run, never once went on the outside of the player and down the wing, didnt make one tackle of any worth, struggled with passing, and showed no confidence what so ever.
he is definatley not gonna make it as a left winger and think its un fair to play him out of position like that and expect him to do well.

on a positive note i thought hayden mullins was very good in the middle of the pitch today although the prick sitting next to done nothing but moan at him.

and back to a negative point teddy.......sorry mate dont think pards should of given you a playing contract. showed his age today would of like to of seen the z man from the start
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

martwhu wrote:thought katan had a mare to be fair was at fault for the 1st goal for not tracking the run, never once went on the outside of the player and down the wing, didnt make one tackle of any worth, struggled with passing, and showed no confidence what so ever.
he is definatley not gonna make it as a left winger and think its un fair to play him out of position like that and expect him to do well.
Should Reid have had a crack? He is in form and it is his natural position. Not going to do Katan's confidence any good if he is tested like this.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Just got back. Cheers to Benji for the ticket :)

Had some little **** ojn the train back to Darlington trying to give it. He said that Boro were going to get to the final of the FA cup and win it and I reminded him that after the Carling cup of two years ago, what else had they achieved. Little muppet could only come back with, "We will beat you sunday"

anyway our support in the first half was good but after their 2nd goal it tailed off a bit. The Boro support though. ****ing hell it was ****
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

Frankly to me it sounds like we didnt do too badly and gave Boro a scare at times. The bottom line is that we want that final spot, and if it means a league defeat today in order to get that, it suits me fine. I'm 100% sure that we will see a fired up team on Sunday and I also know we have what it takes to beat them. Get Ethers back, Yossi starting and hopefully Gabbers fit and there is no reason why we can't take them.

I'm fully confident we can do this, come on you Irons!!
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Re: ooops

Post by York Ham(mer) »

w4hammer wrote:oo-err...any news on gabbers!? i really didnt care THAT much about the result....more about coming through without any injuries?!1

Pards admitted that he will be sweating on the fitness of influential defender Danny Gabbidon, who limped off with a groin injury in the closing stages today, but insisted that his team will approach the game in a confident and positive frame of mind - and completely prepared.

"Danny is touch and go for Sunday but I think everyone else will be okay. For my part, I will just let my players recover and then see what we've got next Friday and Saturday.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

What concerns me is that 36 hours ago the talk was we just had to turn up to collect the three points, Middlesborough would not be interested with the European game on Thursday and then playing us Sunday.

Now it is we played well and really we are only interested in the Final spot at Cardiff, yes I want us to be in the final, but it is so dangerous to put all the eggs on one basket, hope it does not backfire on us.