Middlesbrough 2 West Ham Utd 0 (17/04/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

2-0. Bit disappointing really. I know it doesn't matter and next week is the big one - but don't make me feel any better. Personally I think you've got to go for every game. Can't blame the players for having their mids on next week - but we really are not very subtle in this are we. Shame, because we were in 7th before kick off and this game was there for the taking.
Of course we'll all settle for the win next week. But I think 7th in the league is also important this year considering the permutations for eufa cup spot.
Oh well, let's hope Boro have a long tiring Rumanian travel expereince this week!!
yabush

Post by yabush »

So disappointing
Dynamo Keiff

Post by Dynamo Keiff »

Don't worry lads it will be different next Sunday!

And Millwall are relegated! :lol:
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

FloridaHammer wrote:Hope this works the same way as the 5th round tie. We've got 'em right where we wnat 'em now.
I think a major difference though is at Bolton we went for a draw at best up against a full strength opposition, we knew we held a lot in reserve. Whereas today well we went for a win against a less than full strength oppoonents, so we must be very disappointed to lose so easily with such a strong line-up out there today.

Middlesbrough have gained the advantage of knowing in 90 minutes ALL of our strikers could not score against them, let's hope they fall into a false sense of security after today.
yabush

Post by yabush »

When is the last time our strikers score?

March 25 (Away) Wigan - Scored by Marlon Harewood
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

[quote="yabush"]When is the last time our strikers score?

March 25 (Away) Wigan - Scored by Marlon Harewood[/quote

Strike rate is a concern - two goals in five games. Very different to the first half of the season.

Thing that sticks in my throat is that Newcastle roar past us today with Roeder at the helm. Let's hope they go down next year following his tradition :lol:
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

Been decorating all day. Was Katan a bag of ***** or did he do ok? Bobby and Marlene should have started.
Ariksan
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ariksan »

Chippenhammer wrote:Been decorating all day. Was Katan a bag of ***** or did he do ok? Bobby and Marlene should have started.
Not complete *****. But still needs more games in the reserve to get used to the English game me thinks. I didn't like his positioning without the ball. There where a couple of situations in which he could have ran in or out of the box respectively and draw some defenders on him but he just stayed put. He had some nice touches, but just not enough. But so did Newton in the first half which was anonymous too during most of the game.
Last edited by Ariksan on Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Disappointing result.

Sounded like we created a fair few chances but could not get the ball into the back of the net. I don't think this will have any bearing on the FA Cup Semi-Final on Sunday as we've had to deal with this already this season (Bolton beat us 4-1 before we beat them 2-1 in the FA Cup). Sounded like a very even game (would like to hear what the lads who went to the game have to say about the game) but they got a bit of luck and came out with the win. Harsh penalty from what Sky Sports and everyone else has been saying. Hopefully we will have Matty Etherington and Anton Ferdinand back for Sunday with Dean Ashton and Yossi Benayoun also coming back into the side. As I say I don't think this will have any bearing on the game on Sunday. We've got to look forward to that now and hopefully we can pull off what will be a famous win.
Last edited by Harveys_HammersLH on Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yabush

Post by yabush »

If only.... wrote:
What's going on with our strikers?!
Since the arrival of Deano, we have a short happy moment
after the FA Cup VS Man C,
everyone doesn't concentrate in the League anymore,
seems like dreaming in the pitch
Or I should say they tried hard but failed?

No,Roeder is not going to manage Newcastle
they are not going to relegate

Let's bless Birmingham and Pompey to relegate now,
i don't really care if we can get into the final of FA Cup as everything other than staying up is a bonus to me.
yabush

Post by yabush »

Ariksan wrote: Not complete *****. But still needs more games in the reserve to get used to the English game me thinks. He had some nice touches, but just not enough. But so did Newton in the first half which was anonymous too during most of the game.
In fact, Katan didn't play many games and he lacked match fitness as every substitute did
Chippenhammer

Post by Chippenhammer »

yabush wrote:
Love the way that you've just typed this. Looks like a song.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

This is the best chance we have had and proberly will have to reach an Fa cup final and lifting it.

That needs to be drummed into these players heads all week and they need to be hungry come Sunday.

Hopefully we'll see Etherington and Ferdinand back for this one.We desperatly need them especially for me, Etherington.
yabush

Post by yabush »

Chippenhammer wrote:
yabush

Post by yabush »

I'm a bit sad that Kyel Reid didn't get his chance :( :(
Chippenhammer

Post by Chippenhammer »

yabush wrote:

Mate, sorry one day away from the civilized world and I start talking *****. :shock:
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote:Disappointing result.
They lifted you back out of your playpen, then? :D
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

Yeah I'm concerned about our goal avg too...We have one of the worst goals against records in the league, and are not putting many away at the other end...
I am not as confident that we can suddenly turn it on when needed. That's a dangerous game to play.
If I were Pards now, I wouldn't be so concerned as to the positioning play, or strategy I would be more concerned about work ethic, confidence, and making sure we get a strong collective effort. ALL players need to perform well on the day!!
Pardew needs to give them all some stick. Too many players underperforming for my liking i.e.
Ashton
NRC
Benayoun
Scaloni Baloni
Sherringham
there's more too... but you guys know who they are better than me...A team just cannot carry that many floaters. As they say in Canada...It's time to **** or get off the pot. Rather crass but you get the point.
Coach must breath fire into them!!

:evil:
West Dan

Post by West Dan »

god people get all down heartened when we loose.

Put it all in persepective, we are 1 game away from both europe and a cup final and we are 20 points above the relegation zone. What would have been the odds at the start of the season on that?

We were always going to have a 'bad' patch but the players have put loads in this season and hopefully 1 win next Sunday will make a good season into a bloody brilliant one. So cheer up everyone :lol:
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Ariksan wrote:We're playing with 10 now, Gabbers off injured, hope it isn't too bad.
this is why we should have left him in London. And if that sounds like hindsight, check earlier in this thread.