FACSF: Middlesbrough 0 West Ham Utd 1 (23/04/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

kev
Midfield enforcer
Location: In an old Bakehouse that never stops needing money!
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by kev »

just got home the best 55 pound ive spent **** game but what a result will never forget it for the rest of my life. get in
gster

Post by gster »

Happiness is..... dropping to my knees, arms aloft, in the middle of a crowded Newcastle pub (with more than a few Boro fans present) celebrating Marlon's goal.

The Geordies were surprisingly supportive - they don't like the "Smoggies" much - and got quite a few well-wishers hoping we go all the way.

Just too young to remember 1980 so I've waited a long time for this - chuffed to bits we could do it for JL.
I am law

Post by I am law »

Thank you WHU
Marlon - MOTM :aveit: - HOTY :aveit: :aveit: - especially :aveit: :aveit: :aveit:
Jack of Diamonds

Post by Jack of Diamonds »

Plodder wrote:Congrats to all you Hammers, what an acievement on your first season back in the Prem. Not only in the top half, in the FA Cup Final but also a guaranteed UEFA place also.

Hopefully we'll get there also.

Well done and enjoy the rest of your season.

Very gracious of you to say so, given the amount of venom directed at your lot over the course of the season.
lynothehammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by lynothehammer »

I really do wish I'd taken 2morro off work.

I am mentally knackered from today, all things said Villa Park surroundings are ****ing awful....
ExeC
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by ExeC »

Just got back after a weekend at VP staying at the Aston Hotel.

was in corner next to the north stand and trinity road.

Totally amazing day, Im not sure about the interuptions during the silence was a bit weird.

Will never forget!
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

Just got home, fantastic day! Cheers to all of you that I met up with today - you made a great day even better.

Johnny Lyall's Claret 'n' Blue Army!!! :crest:

We're in the f*cking FA Cup Final!!!
:aveit:
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

just back- a nice 2 hour stand-up all the way back.....like i care!!

***** first half--great second half

bring on the dippers

IRONS!!!
Rich WHUFC

Post by Rich WHUFC »

Just got back my voice is completely horse which proves I did my job!
Thanks to all the strangers who where hugging me and jumping on me!

Come on you Irons!!
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Harewood drives Hammers to Cardiff

Kevin McCarra at Villa Park
Monday April 24, 2006
The Guardian

It is West Ham who go to an FA Cup final with Liverpool but Middlesbrough will always believe they were beaten up by the clock. Each jab of the minute hand hurt a side containing eight players who had also started last Thursday's Uefa Cup semi-final with Steaua Bucharest. They had already looked tired before making the return flight. That, all the same, is no criticism of victors who dispensed their energy judiciously.

Outplayed before the interval, they raised the pace thereafter and dominated until Marlon Harewood decided the game in the 78th minute. Sheer pride must have fuelled the reaction that Boro somehow mustered but in stoppage time a ricochet fell to Chris Riggott and his finish was as inadequate as might have been expected from a centre-back.

No matter how Boro feel, it is heartening to see a West Ham side return to the top flight and demonstrate enough quality to deliver an FA Cup final appearance to the club for the first time in 26 years. The winner itself had a forcefulness that will leave a deep impression in West Ham folklore. After Hayden Mullins had won possession off George Boateng, Anton Ferdinand flighted a long ball forward that was knocked down by Dean Ashton to Marlon Harewood. The striker had the strength to evade Gareth Southgate and crunch a shot past the substitute goalkeeper Brad Jones at his near post.

Harewood is the West Ham story in individual form. He cost only £500,000 from Nottingham Forest a couple of years ago and people continued to put little value on him. In his early days at the club the forward recollects being taken off in the first half against Reading. Those who could hardly bear to look at him not so long ago cannot take their eyes off him now. He and the team have improved in tandem. Both had to further that process here because Boro, before the interval, gave West Ham constant reminders of their inferiority. While Steve McClaren has had difficulty persuading the public that he would fit the bill as England manager his handiwork had to be respected here.

West Ham were out-thought and outnumbered as Boro's five midfielders established a fluency that seemed to be ending the tie as a contest. The teenager Andrew Taylor flourished in an influential partnership with Stewart Downing. Despite that, chances were uncommon because of a lack of response in attack, where Yakubu Aiyegbeni was ineffective.

In a semi-final of many defects the most noteworthy episode in the first half was the 42nd-minute challenge by Ashton on Mark Schwarzer. The Australia goalkeeper has suffered a suspected broken cheekbone that could keep him out of the World Cup. Boro's players treated the episode as an accident, though Ashton would eventually be shown a yellow card for a foul on Schwarzer's replacement.

It was another West Ham player who looked as if he could do a more tasteful sort of damage. While the Boro playmaker Fabio Rochemback gradually reached the conclusion that it was not his sort of game, Yossi Benayoun adopted a completely different approach. He found a way of bringing his gifts to bear on the semi-final.

Though Pardew increased the strain on Boro by urging his full-backs to push further forward in the second half, the most significant factor in the win was the resolve of the Israeli to get on the ball. In a rushed match his skilful contribution was as good a means of honouring the memory of the late West Ham manager John Lyall as the minute's silence.

Benayoun went in search of possession after the interval and caught up with it often enough to tip the balance of the match. It became hard for Boro to push from the minds the realisation that this was their 58th fixture of the season. They now have to regroup for the 59th, in which they will aim to overhaul a 1-0 deficit to Steaua at the Riverside on Thursday.

Fatigue is as much of a problem as the Romanians. The veteran Southgate epitomised that, having given a commanding display until the moment when he could not contain Harewood. Despite that, there was also desperation in the ranks of their opponents who had the benefit of younger limbs.

James Collins's challenge on Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, after 83 minutes, was well-judged purely because the foul took place just outside the penalty area. The free-kick came to nothing. Boro did not demand enough of Hislop in the West Ham goal even when they were at their perkiest. They were never to find their range and it was West Ham who hit the target of a Cup final place.
Green Irons

Post by Green Irons »

Can't focus just got home. but yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. we did it lads :lol:
Basildon Hammer

Post by Basildon Hammer »

Been back a short while and cant believe it!!!! great atmosphere & a great finish from Marlon....

Cardiff Here we come!!!
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

Has anyone seen my tonsils?
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS! What a day! Amazing! Got back about a hour ago.
We're all going to Cardiff!
We're all going on a European tour!
Johnny Lyall's Claret and Blue Army!
bspur1

Post by bspur1 »

mattandbenny wrote:Ratings time...

Hislop: 7 - Not loads to do to be honest, but he made some good saves. Kicking looked a bit suspect at times though.
Ferdinand: 7 - Didnt step a foot wrong, but would ahve liked him to go forward a bit more.
Collins: 8 - Fantastic as ever, won every header and some good clearences.
Gabbidon: 9 - Great performace. Always calm, made some great tackles. Another top performace.
Konchesky: 5 - Was awfull the first half, gave the ball away with every touch. Got into the game more the 2nd half though, and wasnt bad.
Benayoun: 9 - Worked his arse off, a cool character. Very quick feet and distributed the ball well.
ReoCoker: 8 - Some nice runs, good passing and a good game.
Mullins: 8 - Played an invaluable role i nthe middle, some great tackles and held the ball up well. A rock in the midfield.
Ashton: 8 - Great flick on to create the goal. Always looked a threat in the air, didnt look too confident on the ball though.
Harewood: 9 - Superb finish for the goal, showed great pace throughout the match, and some nice flick-ons.

Agree with most of that But a 9 for ferdinand his first half was outstanding, when they were totally dominant , he was forced to put ball into touch six or seven times as we were outnumbered at the back.
5 is harsh for Konch, I though he was ok would of given him a 7
and 9 is high for Marlon, I dont think he looked threatning at all until he scored (which all he has to do) would of given him an 8

I give all the boys a 10 for their second half performances , we totally outplayed them in the second half except for the last 7-8 minutes.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Just back...unbelievable day...atmosphere sensational, especially pre-match and second half. Was just a wonderful moment when just a couple of people shouted out 'Johnny Lyall's Claret and Blue Army' during the minute's silence and then the whole West Ham end erupted with the chant. Most of the players were superb second half, and most weren't at the races in the first. The second half showed though what an excellent side we can be. MOTM is nigh on impossible to choose for me, though I reckon Reo just sneaks it. Even got interviewed by Sky once back at Upton Park...truly a day that will stay with me forever.
So proud...so shocked...so overwhelmed... :crest:
Last edited by dodger on Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
abel

Post by abel »

Just back...unbelievable day...atmosphere sensational, especially pre-match and second half. Was just a wonderful moment when just a couple of people shouted out 'Johnny Lyall's Claret and Blue Army' during the minute's silence and then the whole West Ham end erupted with the chant. Most of the players were superb second half, and most weren't at the races in the first. The second half showed though what an excellent side we can be. MOTM is night on impossible to choose for me, though I reckon Reo just sneaks it. Even got interviewed by Sky once back at Upton Park...truly a day that will stay with me forever.
So proud...so shocked...so overwhelmed...
Great post, agree with NRC for MOTM, he covered so much ground and worked his socks off whole game.

Very good second half performance, just seen the highlights and it doesnt do the performance or the atmosphere even half the justice it deserved.
Coley
g33k h4mm3r

Post by Coley »

The whole squad were sensational in the 2nd half, the least said about the 1st the better, but for me MOTM has to be Yossi, was all over the pitch creating chances and pressure, and back making key tackles.

Still an unbelievable day.... cant believe i am about to see my 2nd West Ham FA Cup Final!!!!!
Come on you Irons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

Not long been back. Have to echo what everyone has said, what a fantastic day!!

Have to say i thought Riley was ****ing awful though