FACF: Liverpool 3 West Ham Utd 3 (lose 2-4 pens) (13/05/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The FA Cup final 2006:

Poll ended at Sun May 14, 2006 4:20 pm

Irons in 90
60%
Irons in extra-time
13%
Irons on pens
2%
Mickeys in the 90
15%
Mickeys aet
1%
Shootout heartbreak
8%

Total votes: 276

chimchimcheroo

Post by chimchimcheroo »

A Cup Final to rival any that I can remember, Top Class day out. So proud of our Club and with a few additions just think what we could achieve in the years to come.

Ref made the difference not Gerrard IMO.

:crest: West Ham 'til I Die.
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

Good to see you on here, Chim - glad you had a great day out, mate. Days like this make it worthwhile - when we were two-nil up, I turned to my son and just said "Let me make it clear that this is NOT normal - supporting West Ham is not usually this good!" Of course, normal service was resumed by the end :( but I'm still totally proud of our performance. Those who wrote us off as no-hopers will have got a bit of a surprise today, we were immense.

:crest:
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

I just got back about half an hour ago and can safely say I'm absolutely exhausted.

I am so very proud of West Ham today and we did everything that I hoped we would do. Yes, we had victory snatched away from us but we are still winners tonight. After all the media masturbating over how awesome Liverpool are and just how big an underdog West Ham were, we went out and proved them wrong. I had said before the game that if we were to lose, I wanted to lose with pride and by God we did. Every single player fought to the bitter end and played above and beyond their normal game. I'm not going to pick fault with anyone, yes I know I could and that others probably have, but I don't feel that way about it. Thank you boys for battling so hard and for giving it your all, that's all we could ever ask for.

I'll add more in the morning because I can't think clearly right now.

Slightly off topic, for those who weren't aware, please spare a thought tonight for one of our own who was at the game today. We were informed by a steward that a West Ham fan sat a number of rows behind us, collapsed and was not breathing, paramedics had to rush to his seat to help him although it was thought it might have been too late. I really hope they managed to save him and it wasn't easy seeing paramedics rushing him away. God bless to him and his family.
XIRONSX

Post by XIRONSX »

PaulTheHammer wrote:Slightly off topic, for those who weren't aware, please spare a thought tonight for one of our own who was at the game today. We were informed by a steward that a West Ham fan sat a number of rows behind us, collapsed and was not breathing, paramedics had to rush to his seat to help him although it was thought it might have been too late. I really hope they managed to save him and it wasn't easy seeing paramedics rushing him away. God bless to him and his family.
Now that puts it into perspective ......
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

PaulTheHammer wrote:Slightly off topic, for those who weren't aware, please spare a thought tonight for one of our own who was at the game today. We were informed by a steward that a West Ham fan sat a number of rows behind us, collapsed and was not breathing, paramedics had to rush to his seat to help him although it was thought it might have been too late. I really hope they managed to save him and it wasn't easy seeing paramedics rushing him away. God bless to him and his family.

Saw that it was only 2 blocks or so from me (U27 maybe?) I really hope all ended up well. I thought some one had to much alcohol, i just tend to assume that. Hope it wasnt any more serious.
Austrian Hammer

Post by Austrian Hammer »

I want to end this topic now. i watched the match with my mates, who have never seen the mighty hammers and they were thrilled about them.

so i think we won a lot of persons who admire the mighty hammers.

this was the best advertisment for football and the hammers today.

I LOVE WEST HAM UNITED F.C.
coxy
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by coxy »

First post since I got back. Obviously I felt absolutely gutted, it felt like we lost the match three times with Gerrard's last minute goal, hitting the post in the last minute of extra time and then of course penalties. But then there was a great sense of accomplishment and the fact that both sets of fans recognised that we had been the better team. Strange atmoshpere that left me with a lump in my throat, never stopped singing and there was a lot of mutual respect. So proud of the boys today, for a while I was speechless but then gave the players a rousing round of applause. They really gave it their all and on another day we probably could have won by a couple of goals. Nevertheless roll on next season.
john yossarian

Post by john yossarian »

I am a Liverpool fan, but I haven't come here to do some kind of pathetic gloating. Rather, I wanted to congratulate West Ham on helping make it such a fantastic final. In fact, you deserved to win just as much as us.
It's the first time that I have felt both delighted for my own club, but some genuine disappointment for the opposition. Suitably unusual emotions for a unique game. You had some luck with the goals, but you had earned it through flair and determination.
Of course, we have something of a track record of making comebacks in recent years, as Alaves and AC Milan can testify in European finals.
Two sets of supporters who know how to cheer on their team, two up for it sides and six goals, and voila the FA Cup is back to its best.

Commiserations for yesterday, all the very best for the league and FA Cup in 2007.

YNWA - John Yossarian
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

john yossarian wrote: Commiserations for yesterday, all the very best for the league and FA Cup in 2007.

YNWA - John Yossarian
Lest we forget our crusades in the league cup and UEFA Cup in 2007 :wink: