Gothenburg 2 West Ham United 1 (22/07/06) PSF

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

rendog2

Post by rendog2 »

yes, but he will just be one rightback. If we can sign him for what appears a nominal fee and have Mears there too, we've got a better RB sitaution than last season.
noble art

Post by noble art »

norfy wrote: agreed!!! ffs get a grip....its pre season!!
agreed,i dont think you get any points for pre-season games :shock:
its for fitness,nothing more,nothing less
Happyhammer

Post by Happyhammer »

rendog2 wrote:yes, but he will just be one rightback. If we can sign him for what appears a nominal fee and have Mears there too, we've got a better RB sitaution than last season.
If we cant find a rb in europe then we are in trouble,with europian players all start near enough together and finish and country play's we all play around the same time. I do agree about the price and what you have said, but you are paying for a player for only half the season, thats all I'm saying
reo_coker20
One line wonder
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by reo_coker20 »

lets hope we get them in the uefa cup then beat them in a competive game
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Bit disapointed we lost but it was only a pre-season friendly and the main thing is geting the players fitness up. Pardew and Clark (our Head of Sports Medicine) both have said the Sweden tour is in the main being used for fitness and we will start to look at tactics and performances after this tour. We finished with a lot of young lads on the pitch as well with our midfield being Ephraim, Noble, Stokes and Reid.

Of course real bad news though was Anton Ferdinand pulling his hamstring. I just hope it's not too serious and he will be (at the very least) fit for the first game of the new season against Charlton. Anyway reports from a few of the Swedish hammers at the game reckon Paintsil played very well at right-back and was our MOTM so that is good news.
Danish Hammer

Post by Danish Hammer »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote:Bit disapointed we lost but it was only a pre-season friendly and the main thing is geting the players fitness up. Pardew and Clark (our Head of Sports Medicine) both have said the Sweden tour is in the main being used for fitness and we will start to look at tactics and performances after this tour. We finished with a lot of young lads on the pitch as well with our midfield being Ephraim, Noble, Stokes and Reid.

Of course real bad news though was Anton Ferdinand pulling his hamstring. I just hope it's not too serious and he will be (at the very least) fit for the first game of the new season against Charlton. Anyway reports from a few of the Swedish hammers at the game reckon Paintsil played very well at right-back and was our MOTM so that is good news.
I was in Kungsbacka. FWIW Zamora was my MOTM, but Paintsil did very well going forward. He looked suspect defensively a couple of times, but what can you expect from a guy who hasn't played with the others before? Noble did more than okay, his attitude is brillant, but Konch was awful (lacked pace, and his passing was abymal). Yossi did alright for half an hour, so did Harewood. Mullins won some ot the match's few tackles, but his passing was poor. Based on yesterday's performance Walker is no way near PL-standard.

When Grant was asked if Milner had signed, he smiled and said: "Not yet".
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Danish Hammer wrote: I was in Kungsbacka. FWIW Zamora was my MOTM, but Paintsil did very well going forward. He looked suspect defensively a couple of times, but what can you expect from a guy who hasn't played with the others before? Noble did more than okay, his attitude is brillant, but Konch was awful (lacked pace, and his passing was abymal). Yossi did alright for half an hour, so did Harewood. Mullins won some ot the match's few tackles, but his passing was poor. Based on yesterday's performance Walker is no way near PL-standard.

Something encouraging, then.
daniel

Post by daniel »

I assume we'll be seeing a 50 pages long thread because Grant said we have'nt signed Milner yet. :? :lol:
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

daniel wrote:I assume we'll be seeing a 50 pages long thread because Grant said we have'nt signed Milner yet. :? :lol:
If anyone knows about 50 page threads........ :wink:
daniel

Post by daniel »

Rocketron wrote: If anyone knows about 50 page threads........ :wink:
What's your point? :lol:
I don't know a thing about such threads...
65 page threads however :think:
Danish Hammer

Post by Danish Hammer »

daniel wrote: What's your point? :lol:
I don't know a thing about such threads...
65 page threads however :think:
Lol, guys.

I actually asked Noble if he is leaving. He answered: "I am going nowhere". Any chance on a 2 page thread on that one?
BackInTheBigTime
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by BackInTheBigTime »

I was at the IKF Göteborg game on Saturday and thought I'd share my thoughts.

I arrived in Kungsbacka a few hours before kickoff and enjoyed a few beers with the guys from the Scandinavian Hammers club (http://www.westham.no). We then headed to the small ground and took our seats in the single stand which held about 700 fans, and it seemed the Hammers outnumbered IFK fans and we certainly out-sang them. The rest of the 1,600+ crowd were standing\sitting on the grassy areas around the pitch. The weather was great and the cheap mellan öl (3.5% beer) was flowing.

As for the match, I thought new boy John Pantsil was our MOTM by a mile. He looked very accomplished, didn't put a single pass astray for the whole 90 mins, looked strong in the air, composed defensively and pacy going forward. He didn't put a foot wrong IMHO and I say "Sign him up, Pards!".

Zamora looked eager as usual, Harewood was full of running and Yossi was involved in most of our best moments. Noble looked assured when he came on and Deano looked fit and strong late in the game.

The youngsters got a good run out too, but I wasn't that impressed with Kyle Reid, who played the full 90 mins on the left. His control was poor, he seemed so predicatble when trying to go past players and he lost possession far too often. He's got pace but has a lot of work to do to put Matty under any pressure on the left.

Clive Clark was bloody awful IMO and I hope he doesn't get anywhere near the pitch for us this season. Spector surely offers more competition for Konch than this bloke. Mears put Walker in trouble with a really sloppy back pass late on and Walker doesn't fill me with confidence. Hope AP makes a move for Isaksson...

Highlight of the game for me was when we played the ball out following an injury to one of their players and Marlon went mental when IFK didn't throw the ball back to us on the restart. He ran up to the IFK coach and shouted "You're supposed to give us the ball back. THIS IS A FRIENDLY!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND "FRIENDLY"???!!!" Cue a chorus of "There's only one Marlon Harwood" by the Hammers fans. Classic!
8-)

I was disappointed we conceded a really scrappy goal late on, but the result didn't really matter. Apart from Anton's injury, I think it was a good run out for the squad. Having said that, I understand that IFK rested 6-7 players and used loads of subs too, so they weren't exactly full strength either...

The players hung around at the end of the game and signed loads of autographs and posed for photos with the fans. Deano signed my shirt and I got Yossi's signature too. Teddy was flirting with the girls as usual, who were trying to get his shorts off him as a souvenir. Dirty old sod... :)

All in all, a good day out and well worth the trip.
Last edited by BackInTheBigTime on Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Cheers mate, makes an interesting read.
Did Anton's injury look serious?
How would you rate every player?(I want to get your opinion on each and every player :oops: ).
BackInTheBigTime wrote:Highlight of the game for me was when we played the ball out following an injury to one of their players and Marlon went mental when IFK didn't throw the ball back to us on the restart. He ran up to the IFK coach and shouted "You're supposed to give us the ball back. THIS IS A FRIENDLY!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND "FRIENDLY"???!!!" Cue a chorus of "There's only one Marlon Harwood" by the Hammers fans. Classic!
8-)
You gotta love him.
'There's only one Marlon Harewood'!
BackInTheBigTime

daniel wrote:Cheers mate, makes an interesting read.
Did Anton's injury look serious?
How would you rate every player?(I want to get your opinion on each and every player :oops: ).
To be honest I wasn't sure why Anton went off at the time. He wasn't rolling around or crying out in agony, just headed off in and into the changing room, so it didn't look like anything really. Hope he's not out for long.

Just for you Daniel, here are my ratings:

Walker - 5 - Not premiership class IMO. Decent backup but not commanding enough
Painstil - 8 - Impressive. Sign him up!
Ferdinand - 5 - Forced off with early injury
Collins - 6 - Very ginger! :wink: Did well considering he was only recognised CB when Anton went off
Konchesky - 6 - Busy, but still suspect defensively. Needs competition at LB to spur him on
Benayoun - 7 - Classy. Still needs a shave and a hearty meal
Mullins - 6 - Quietly effective, as usual
Fletcher - 6 - Tough in the tackle, covered OK at CB for Anton.
Reid - 3 - Ineffective, despite fancy bright red boots
Harewood - 6 - Strong and committed
Zamora - 7 - Scored and looked dangerous

Subs
Noble (on for Ferdinand 25) - 6 - Confident lad, some neat touches
Mears (on for Collins 75) - 4 - Shocking back pass, rescued by Walker. No time to impress
Ephraim (on for Yossi 62) - 6 - Didn't look out of place, made some good surging runs
Clarke (on for Mullins 55) - 3 - Liability at LB. Ship him out, Pards
Ashton (on for Zamora 55) - 6 - Looked fit and powerful. Good touch and pulled one shot just wide
Stokes (on for Konch 70) - 5 - Poncey haircut. That's all I remember
Sheringham (on for Marlon 62) - 3 - Added absolutely nothing. Should be 5th choice striker
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Thanks for the report BackInTheBigTime. :doff:
Cracking stuff from Harewood! :lol:
Good to hear that Painstil played well.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Cheers BackInTheBigTime :niceone:
reo_coker20
One line wonder
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by reo_coker20 »

theres only one marlon harewood :lol:
dornanhale

Post by dornanhale »

Hmm, but in what way did he say it? :lol:
ToreNorway

Post by ToreNorway »

pics from the Sweden-tour can be watched here:

http://www.fuckerjohn.dk/
BackInTheBigTime

Thanks for the pics Tore.

They just reminded me that one of the "lines people" at the game was a women and was responsible for one of the most bizarre moments I've ever witnessed at a professional game.

It one point she flagged for offside, but the ref just waved her down and signalled play on. We figured the ref realised that there was no way it could have been offside.

The way he gestured towards this women was like "Put your bloody flag down you clueless bint, you're embarrasing yourself"! :oops:

Can a ref really overrule a linesmen that flags for offside?