PAOK Saloniki 2 West Ham United 1 (06/08/06) PSF

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

A New Hope

Post by A New Hope »

With Paintsil, Benayoun, Gabbidon, Ferdinand, Reo-Coker, Newton and Dailyl barely kicking a ball in pre-season we can't keep playing the same players.

If playing Keen and Bywater saves a couple of players from getting knackered during pre-season, I'm all for it.

For the record, I thought it was hillarious! :lol:
ToreNorway

Post by ToreNorway »

I think it was a poor thing using Bywater and Keen. I heard this game should be training for our Uefa-cup season??
WTF??
dave28

Post by dave28 »

East london sid wrote: Thanks alot for the link :niceone:
HERE HERE
A New Hope

Post by A New Hope »

The boo boys are out in force I see....... :roll:
arismania

Post by arismania »

Your welcome.

You probably didnt take this trip to thessaloniki seriously... According to rumours :P your players were every night out for beers, women,etc... They probably enjoyed it. :lol:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

arismania wrote:Your welcome.

You probably didnt take this trip to thessaloniki seriously... According to rumours :P your players were every night out for beers, women,etc... They probably enjoyed it. :lol:
pardew wants to get a grip.
daniel

Post by daniel »

The Commissar wrote: I agree, it's about the bodies we have available and making sure we don't do any harm to the ones we have still standing. If anything, it highlights that our squad is still one or two players short of where we would ideally be in terms of numbers, and hopefully Pardew's absence means he is currently addressing this issue.

I don't know how many games the likes of Collins and Tompkins have played already, but I would guess nearly every single friendly so far. I have no problem if Collins get a small rest at the fag-end of a match like this. I'm sure there are players, like Mullins, who have worked far harder than they might've in pre-season because of injuries and departures of others. Friendlies at this stage are entirely about the fitness. It's only in the very last one or two games before we kick off for real that we have to look beyond that.
:worthy:
Great post mate.
Regarding the match, these were my thoughts:
Reid looks quite the prospect. A suitible replacement for Matty.
Tompkins needs to go on loan, he has the potential, no doubt. It was good to see Carroll back in goal, he looked a bit shkey, but made a few decent saves. Cole impressed me, he is a very physical player, which compliments Bobby's fantstic technical attributes. Asthon is a legend IMO. Mears looked out of depth IMO, he won't be our main RB, Paintsil will.
Austrian Hammer

Post by Austrian Hammer »

the funniest thing is this from the o/s.

they do not mention anything of the substitutes. it seems that it is a little bit embarassing for the club. :lol:

06/08/2006 20:27

Despite losing 2-1 to UEFA Cup contenders PAOK FC, this was another good run out for the West Ham squad and one of the most encouraging things to come out of the evening was the sight of Roy Carroll back between the sticks for the first time since he got injured back in January

The rest of the team consisted of: Tyrone Mears, James Tomkin, James Collins and Matty Etherington making up the back four, Carlton Cole was up front on his own which left a five-man midfield of Bobby Zamora, Dean Ashton, Hayden Mullins, Kyle Reid and Hogan Ephraim.

The game once again started slowly in 30 degree heat and it was PAOK who had the first chance in the 11th minute when Reid's clearance only made it as far as Zegarra who attempted a chip from 30 yards out but it was easily caught by Carroll.

A minute later PAOK took the lead when Yiasemakis rounded Carroll as he went to ground but only managed to hit the post but Rebosio was ready and waiting to side-foot the ball into the open goal.

Five minutes later and the home team had a chance to double their lead when Gonzalez floated the ball in towards goal from the right but it just went wide of the far post.

Two minutes later and PAOK were on the attack again when Yiasemakis cut the ball back for Salpingidis who's powerful volley from 25 yards just went wide.

On 26 minutes, West Ham equalised with a well worked goal. Hogan made a good run down the right and his cross into the box was met by Cole who headed it down for Ashton to slot the ball home from 12 yards.

As the first-half drew to a close, Konstantinidis had an adventurous shot on the volley from 35yards out but Carroll pushed it out to prevent the Greek side taking the lead.

Half-time: PAOK 1-1 West Ham United

There were no changes for the second-half but the Hammers did switch to a 4-4-2 formation with Zamora joining Cole up front and Ashton staying back in the centre of midfield.

Four minutes after the break, PAOK took the lead in impressive fashion when the ball dropped to Zegarra in the box and he scissor-kicked it into the top left corner leaving Carroll with no chance of saving it.

Two minutes later and West Ham had a good chance to equalise when Cole cut the ball back for Mullins who put Zamora through to stike it first time but the 'keeper did well to block the shot.

On 55 minutes, Harewood came on for Zamora.

Nine minutes later the Hammers were on the attack again when Cole made a mazy run into the box and cut it back for Ephraim but Rebosio blocked the ball well to send it out for a corner.

On 73 minutes it was the visitors again, this time Marlon made a run into the box and cut the ball back for Ashton who shot from 18 yards out but the 'keeper made a good low save on the line.

A minute later, Teddy came on for Cole and joined Marlon up front.

PAOK had a good chance to extend their lead in injury time when Iliadis had a shot from point blank range after beating the 'keeper but Tomkins was on hand to head the ball away off the line.

Full-time: PAOK 2-1 West Ham United
Rob
Trying hard to get a tag

Post by Rob »

Nurdis wrote: I disagree,
We have a lot of new people in the team now and i bet they are all laughing there nads of about it... all good for team spirit and bonding
Ditto. We didn't have a team anywhere good enough for last year's results - they got there from being a team rather than the usual bunch of individuals. If AP and the coaches think it's a good idea to play Matty in goal and Terry Brown up front, then I'm all for it.
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

cockney hammer wrote:sorry lads what was the score as my pc is f*cking around it keeps turning its self off so i can not get on bywater playing outfield??? kevin keen playing?? this is taking the piss this is supossed to be about geting ready for the new season i do not find this at all funny.
If Bywater plays CM against Charlton, then I will have the hump. Today though? Does it really matter? Not for me.
This is the sort of thing that may improve relations between the squad. Gives everyone a laugh, something that they can do with nothing at stake.

Its a chance for them to chill out, maybe some of us should too?
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Herts Iron wrote: If Bywater plays CM against Charlton, then I will have the hump. Today though? Does it really matter? Not for me.
This is the sort of thing that may improve relations between the squad. Gives everyone a laugh, something that they can do with nothing at stake.

Its a chance for them to chill out, maybe some of us should too?
Yep.

FFS, you would have though Keen and Bywater played 80mins the way some of you are going on. They came on for 10mins at the end of a game in what was probably stiffling heat.

If anything the likes of Ashton, Mears, Ethers, etc shouldn't have played a full 90 and Grant and Ludo should have come on :wink:
daniel

Post by daniel »

hadleighhammer wrote: Yep.

FFS, you would have though Keen and Bywater played 80mins the way some of you are going on. They came on for 10mins at the end of a game in what was probably stiffling heat.

If anything the likes of Ashton, Mears, Ethers, etc shouldn't have played a full 90 and Grant and Ludo should have come on :wink:
IMO it's a disgrace.
We're playing old gits like Teddy Sheringham, I mean come on, is this pre-season all a big joke? :roll:
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Just watching the game now (didnt get a chance earlier), Deano looks LEAN! The staff are proper sorting him out.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Herts Iron wrote:Just watching the game now (didnt get a chance earlier), Deano looks LEAN! The staff are proper sorting him out.
Did you get to the goal yet?
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

daniel wrote:Did you get to the goal yet?
Ours? Yeah, nicely taken.

Not going to watch the whole game (too late now), but any idea when Super Keen came on? Also the midfield general, Bywater?
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Herts Iron wrote: Ours? Yeah, nicely taken.

Not going to watch the whole game (too late now), but any idea when Super Keen came on? Also the midfield general, Bywater?
76th and 79th minutes
munchie400
Yellow card - abuse

Post by munchie400 »

Last 15 minutes mate.
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Seeing as Joe Cole is injured for the Greece game, Kyle Reid for England!!!
daniel

Post by daniel »

Herts Iron wrote:Seeing as Joe Cole is injured for the Greece game, Kyle Reid for England!!!
Wot no Matty? :? :wink: