Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017 Targets

Post by Pulls up Trees »

I'd scrap the lot bar Reid, Obiang, Lanzini and Antonio and start again.

How much would we get from that cull?
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Jumby wrote: Tore was injured, but I get your point, he's not played many more minutes than Snodgrass though so the half a season and 7 weeks thing is totally irrelevant, it's games played and contribution that we're talking here. Tore was ****, but he grabbed two assists whilst being ****, Snodgrass has been poor so far, he's also not scored or assisted, that means that Tore has contributed more in just one more appearance than our odd looking Scotsman.

I hope he improves, you're sure he will, I'm not holding my breathe but I hope you're right.
Tore had half a season and while being Billic's man still couldn't get in the team and every time he played he looked ****ing dreadful. Of course that isn't irrelevant. Sure, he was injured for a while but being sh*t was his main down fall. While that was happening Snodgrass scored 9 and got a few assists. It's no surprise he hasn't come in and immediately found his best form. As with any signing, they often can take a while to settle in. He hasn't even been here for 2 months FFS
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I've overlooked the fact that Snodgrass needs time to adapt to the league, my bad.

My point remains the same, in roughly the same amount of games wearing claret and blue Tore got 0 goals and 2 assists, Snodgrass has 0 goals and 0 assists.

Tore was ****, I wouldn't say Snodgrass has been any better though, and like I keep saying, I hope that changes.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Jumby wrote:I've overlooked the fact that Snodgrass needs time to adapt to the league, my bad.

My point remains the same, in roughly the same amount of games wearing claret and blue Tore got 0 goals and 2 assists, Snodgrass has 0 goals and 0 assists.

Tore was ****, I wouldn't say Snodgrass has been any better though, and like I keep saying, I hope that changes.
My point was your point is pointless. If you honestly think comparing Tore's and Snodgrass' time here at this stage is relevant then that's up to you. Personally I'd always give a new signing more than 2 months before passing judgement. Try judging Snodgrass at the end of the season when he's also had a fair crack
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

In Jumbys defence, I think people can come to quicker conclusions about players and don't necessarily need to wait till the end of the season to realise if they are the real deal or not. Take for instance Tore, Zaza, Nordtveit, I personally was convinced they're not good enough for us in this League way before Christmas. I didn't need to run the rule over them anymore as I'd seen enough of what they are about to know they ain't good enough for midtable, let alone top 10 material.

Now I appreciate it may take other people a little longer to pass judgement and whether or not they think they're good enough for us and that's fine. Some people might want to give them another season after this to work out if they are the answer but for others, it doesn't need too many games when weighing up how they compete during games. There's no rule or rhyme over how soon someone comes to a conclusion though, because on the flip side it's taken me over a year before I could be convinced of Adrian being a decent Keeper for instance. But once that moment becomes clear in someone's mind, it's fair enough in my opinion for someone to hold a belief on that players ability and contribution to the team and if they're worth persuing or not.

But I'm sure as **** seen enough of Nordtveit, Tore, Zaza and 90% on Feghouli to realise they're not good enough for us. Feghouli I could probably tolerate as a back-up squad filler at best, but that's as far as it goes and would happily see him leave to get money in and get someone better to challenge the 1st Teamers more.

Incidentally talking of Zaza for a second, out of curiosity I've just looked him up and after his initial mini goal burst when some people were questioning those that wanted rid, I see he's reverted back to type and has barely scored since - 2 in 9. So glad he's off our books and is someone else's concern now. Maybe in a slower paced Serie A he might be able to find his feet again and become a bit more of a handful, because La Liga may also be beyond him at a high level.

It needs to be remembered, these are Senior experienced players, not youths learning their trade needing plenty of time to bed in, they should be stamping their quality on games between say a handful of 10 games. If they show very little quality during that time, then alarm bells should start to ring. And like with most things in life, there's always an exception to the rule and someone doesn't start producing it until say after a season or so, but they're rarities rather than the norm. Ones from far flung countries and completely different cultures would usually fall in to this category and so you tend to give them more benefit of the doubt if you see some signs of quality in their play.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

I do agree to a certain extent, sometimes I'm also convinced after just a few games if a player is up to it or not. I was absolutely convinced that Valencia was sh*t 5 minutes after he signed when I saw him trying to do kick ups outside the OS in a welcome video. :lol:

Edit: Just found the video... enjoy http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/footba ... adium.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still personally unconvinced on Nord though. He was starting for a better team than us before he joined. I'd like to see more of him between now and the end of the season. Zaza and Tore I completely agree, I was convinced they were a poor fit after just a few games. It's strange though that even after his mare with us the likes of Valencia and Napoli were lining up to take Zaza

Back to Snodgrass though. He isn't an unknown. He's a proven solid Premier League standard player who has improved our squad. If people are looking at him to be a top class starter who is going to impact most games like Payet did then of course they're going to be disappointed. He signed with 9 goals and a few assists during the first half of the season. How many of our players can compare to that? I just think it's silly to judge the bloke on a few starts straight after he's up'd sticks and moved to a new club, with new team mates, new city ect. We know what we've brought with him and I think once he's settled in he'll have the odd moment for us just as he always has done for his clubs.
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I'm pretty much in agreement regarding Snodgrass. I've made no secret of the fact I like him. My gripe with his signing was more to do with could his fee along with Fontes in January be better spent looking forward towards the new season, rather than what they can offer us now during half a season fighting for very little? And I think it could have been better spent on the right kind of quality player we are looking for. Snodgrass will certainly do, as I think Fonte will for next season but I was hoping for more than just make-dos when £25m could have been put towards a special talent that offers more to the make-up and quality of the Team and with a lot more time on his side.

It's also a little tricky to know exactly what budgets and finances the Club is operating within as they may have felt spending such money on them 2 was justified as we have much more resources to call upon and they at least add depth of quality to the squad but having been weened on decades of penny pinching and told we're predominantly skint makes my default setting kick in that we shouldn't be splurging money so easily if it can't stretch so far.

For me, it's always quality over quantity in regards to a Teams real progression. We fell in the trap last summer (as I recall we did with the Rio money) recruiting half a squad, I don't want to see a repeat of it when only a handful of genuine quality players is needed. Ayew, Lanzini (although technically settled and proved himself previously) and the youths (although they need time when we needed now) were the only good quality signings, everyone else confused the situation and made things worse not better. That was my worry way back in the summer and it came home to roost.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

snodgrass and fonte are squad players in my eyes no more. I dont see either starting when everyone is available. Reid and ogbonna would be my preference as CBs.

as said above we need 3/4 quality players who can come in and make a difference to the first team.

RB CAM and CF please. GK if possible but we could survive withadrian and randolph if we sort the defence.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Problem is that "panic signings" and "freebie punts" will/have left us with,potentially, 4-5 of our highest payed players as "squad fillers",imo.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

Anthony Modeste?
Seems to be on a decent run of goals of late
Patito

Post by Patito »

Tristan Shout wrote:Anthony Modeste?
Seems to be on a decent run of goals of late

Been calling for him the last 4 windows. Think there'll be bigger clubs in for him these days.
Lostcoco

Post by Lostcoco »

How much would Modeste cost?

He's 28 so i guess around 35m?

Modeste - 35m
Defoe - Free
Zabaleta - Free
Begovic 12m

window done :lol:
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

The question with Snodgrass isn't whether he's any good, nor whether he's better in this league than Tore (which he patently is) .... it's whether it was the best use of the funds to bring him in. I'm not convinced even though I think he's a decent player. As ever with West Ham I feel that we brought in a 6/10 player for £8m when we could have added a bit more cash and got an 8/10 player (in January or the summer).

The board are already making noises about the Payet money being largely spent on Snod and Fonte but lots seem not to be listening (the same with the fictitious Zaza money that was tied up in selling Sakho and Valencia). Once that hits home with the summer budget I have expect many will re-evaluate the January window where we dropped £20m on two players who only have a season or two in this league and are widely predicted to be squad fillers next season.

We been linked with any proven full backs who will cost actual money yet?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

hammer1975 wrote:The question with Snodgrass isn't whether he's any good, nor whether he's better in this league than Tore (which he patently is) .... it's whether it was the best use of the funds to bring him in. I'm not convinced even though I think he's a decent player. As ever with West Ham I feel that we brought in a 6/10 player for £8m when we could have added a bit more cash and got an 8/10 player (in January or the summer).

The board are already making noises about the Payet money being largely spent on Snod and Fonte but lots seem not to be listening (the same with the fictitious Zaza money that was tied up in selling Sakho and Valencia). Once that hits home with the summer budget I have expect many will re-evaluate the January window where we dropped £20m on two players who only have a season or two in this league and are widely predicted to be squad fillers next season.

We been linked with any proven full backs who will cost actual money yet?
Perhaps Bilic thought, 'I've only got three wingers, with Feghouli being injured in and off, Ayew at AFCON and injured often, probably best bringing someone in. We need someone who's settled in this league, and preferably someone who has a good deadball.'

£10 million is chump change now. He's a good signing, decent back up, good set pieces, and proven to be able to have an impact.
And like it or not, earning a free kick that is scored, is an assist :wink:
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Lostcoco wrote:How much would Modeste cost?

He's 28 so i guess around 35m?

Modeste - 35m:
Rumours of a elderly gent in a Russian hat taken to hospital after choking on something
Redkanpps dog

Post by Redkanpps dog »

Jumby wrote:I've overlooked the fact that Snodgrass needs time to adapt to the league, my bad.

Just throwing it out there but the stats websites have Tore as 1 assist not 2?
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

thejackhammer wrote:
Perhaps Bilic thought, 'I've only got three wingers, with Feghouli being injured in and off, Ayew at AFCON and injured often, probably best bringing someone in. We need someone who's settled in this league, and preferably someone who has a good deadball.'

£10 million is chump change now. He's a good signing, decent back up, good set pieces, and proven to be able to have an impact.
And like it or not, earning a free kick that is scored, is an assist :wink:
"Perhaps Bilic" - yep, board have been at pains to highlight it was Bilic's choice....but have at no point been clear on the constraints he was working under.

£10m is chump change - happens to be about 25% of our summer budget though. Not to mention we drop another £10m in wages over the next 3.5 seasons on a player who most seem to expect to be a squad player at best next season.

Could we have done better if we had a budget of £15m for a proven winger is my question. I suspect the answer is that we didn't have the budget for it as we funded Snod from the Payet money.

Have no problem crediting winning of free kicks as assists - Snodgrass has struggled statistically with goals and assists but i also think his all round play has been less than I expected. I'm fairly ambivalent about whether Feghouli or Snodgrass start - they seem much of a muchness. In fact I'd say that Sam Byram has looked a better winger when playing right back than either of those two playing right wing.....I reckon Masuaku is capable of similar on the left.
Lostcoco

Post by Lostcoco »

Rio wrote:
Rumours of a elderly gent in a Russian hat taken to hospital after choking on something
:lol:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017 ... w-west-ham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow. Actually got his own feature on whufc.com, as an "in the know" source...that'll do him and his popularity the world of good.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Tore made 8 appearences for us? Snodgrass 7 so far? I find it hard to judge either based on so few appearences in a West Ham shirt. I think both are fine as back ups at our level but I get the criticism of the Snodgrass fee if it reduces our summer budget (it will).

I notice a lot more people are are calling for Defoe's signing since his England goal. Not saying he wouldn't do a job but we as a club will go nowhere if we keep signing players with no/limited resale value or loans.