Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5672 likes
Total likes: 3089 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by MB »

Antwerp_Lad wrote:
Anyone who lets their search for a striker be influenced by the possibility of Carroll being fit for an entire season needs to be laughed out of the club.
Well that is the whole board then! It is not just strikers either. Snodgrass was signed based on his crossing stats no doubt with Carroll in mind. They made a big song and dance about it like that was the main thing we'd lose from Payet going.

I'm with CH on this one. Our whole policy up top has been based on the fiction that a fully fit Carroll exists. The Daves are probably investing this years transfer budget on inter dimensional travel to see if we can find one.
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

DDHammer wrote:We'll sign Giroud, he'll snap his ankle in half against Man City in Iceland and be ruled out for the season, we'll panic sign Crouch as a replacement. We'll be fine with Carroll and Crouch until Carroll gets injured in November and be due out until February, we won't sign a replacement in Jan because he's due back soon, he'll score 3 headers in a row before being ruled out for the rest of the season again.

Summary - Peter Crouch will be our top scorer next season with 9 goals.
news for you @DDHammer, we wont be signing giroud.
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

mods can we change the name of this thread to the everton thread
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Am I the only one who is underwhelmed by what Everton are doing? £30m on a decent but overrated English keeper. Klaassen is alright but he's hardly a groundbreaking signing. Onyekuru looks like he has potential but he's not there this season. Lukaku and Barkley is going to be a blow for them. It feels a bit like the way Tottenham spent the Bale money.

Everton do have good young players coming through though, so like Tottenham I wouldn't be surprised if those young players are more key to their success than these signings.
if you feel underwhelmed by their business, how do you feel about ours? :fsake:
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

If we had signed a player who couldn't get a work permit this season, then loaned him out in the hope that he plays some internationals next season and can then get a permit, we'd have slaughtered the chairmen. There is absolutely no guarantee that Onyekuru will even get a permit for next season.

Add to that the fact that 95% of us had never heard of him a month ago and I think we're panicking over nothing there.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 771 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

slav mate, you're on the "make or break" final year of your contract and your boss and mancini have been sending dick pics to each other for the last six months. how d'you feel about spending a chunk of your meager transfer budget on a player who won't be with us till next year?
buffybegood

Post by buffybegood »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Since 2012, the answer is Andy Carroll

Ever since we signed him, he has been an influence on our striker purchase. The board and manager don't want to sign a big money striker and then Carroll stays fit. The chance of him being fit, albeit slim, is always at the back of their mind.

If he wasn't on our books, my hunch is we would have bought a 'big name' striker at some point in the last 4 years
Nothing has really changed since we signed Carroll, any other big money signing has to be able to do a job somewhere else on the pitch. G&S aren't prepared to spend big on an out and out striker as, when AC is fit, one of them would be starting on the bench and they can't stomach that.

A few seasons back we were supposedly very interested in Kalou, as, to their way of thinking, he could play up front if AC was injured, but do a job out wide if Carroll was playing (Kalou decided that wasn't for him though). Valencia also fits this model, and it again is shown in the panic buy of Ayew when we failed to land any of our striker targets last summer; he can play up front if need be, and, when Carroll is fit, he can play out wide.

So we keep spending money on "dual purpose" players that often are neither one thing nor the other, and then taking punts or loans on strikers in a scattergun approach to try to increase our options, but all, with the exception of Sakho who has since gone off the rails anyway, with no success at all.

G&S need to accept that it's OK, nay, even necessary, to have big money signings sat on the bench if we want to compete in this league (and not just when they're coming back from injury). We can only hope that after last season's transfer shambles they are finally beginning to realise this.
Last edited by buffybegood on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Beavis Danzig wrote:slav mate, you're on the "make or break" final year of your contract and your boss and mancini have been sending dick pics to each other for the last six months. how d'you feel about spending a chunk of your meager transfer budget on a player who won't be with us till next year?
No need to worry about Mancini any more. He has a job at Zenit now.
CockneyRebel
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by CockneyRebel »

Unfortunately not WHU-related but I find the whole situation with Monaco very strange at the moment. Pretty much every player that was a regular last season has either been sold or seemingly about to be sold for huge transfer fees. What's happened there? Are they all of a sudden broke or something?
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Of the players that joined us last summer five have already left. I know Zaza, Tore and Calleri were loans but two of them were with the view to a permanent deal from what I gather, and then of course there's Nordy and Arbeloa. That is five disastrous signings, we can't do that again.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

They've just signed, in my opinion, the worlds best young central midfield prospect.

They'll be fine.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

fjthegrey wrote:They've just signed, in my opinion, the worlds best young central midfield prospect.

They'll be fine.
Tielemans? If so, completely agree. This season in Europe he really looked like he could mix it with the rest. Really interested to see how he turns out.
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

The hot news from Germany is that Modeste's move to China has fallen through.

We were linked to him, but since Cologne were asking €35m for him, we were never really going to be in for him.

I don't think he's worth that kind of money anyway, and I don't think he's anywhere near as good as Giroud.

So, not really relevant, but at least it beats talking about some crap team from Merseyside...

(Perhaps they will sign him, in which case I will laugh for a whole week.)
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Signed him for £21m as well, easy £50m profit for them in a couple of years.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

fjthegrey wrote:They've just signed, in my opinion, the worlds best young central midfield prospect.

They'll be fine.
Josh Cullen hasn't left, has he? :lol:
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 462 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

583 pages of nothing. Roll on deadline day so I can go out and buy my Peter Crouch or Negredo west ham top.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

i wouldn't mind negredo for relatively low fee and wages... :oops:
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I get that Giroud has never 'had legs' and doesn't rely on his pace but for me we NEED pace - it's the thing defenders are most scared of. We've played our best football in recent years with either Sakho, Valencia (or both) up top. We need a striker to pressurise the opposition's defence and run in behind as well. Against the better teams last season who we were never going to outplay, we would have chances to hit them on the break when we would eventually get the ball back. Instead we'd lump it up to Carroll, Calleri or Zaza who had no support, would lose the ball and we'd have our backs against the wall again. Don't get me wrong, Giroud is a good player, but I'm not sure he's as good as most are making out (just have to see a fair few Arsenal fans' opinions of him), he will not get the service at West Ham as he does there and I don't believe he fits our best style of play.
Patito

Post by Patito »

ashbanki wrote: About 96 players there and,granted, you cannot judge some of the younger recent signings yet - But, go ahead Patito fill your boots!!

What do you mean by "fill your boots"? Are you asking me to do something? Plenty on that list that I wouldn't deem as failures but that's opinions for you.

Edit - oh, you're cutting the list already??
Patito

Post by Patito »

Nolan, Collins, Vaz Te :lol: You haven't even read that list have you?
Last edited by Patito on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.