Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

CNR if you're making fun of my Americanism I apologize. We often shorten all right to alright over here. :lol:
D C
Has liked: 1125 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by D C »

We say alright. I think he's saying that we've had a much better window than just alright.

Anyway, I'd take Max Arnold. Or any proper central midfield play with a decent bit of tecnique for that matter.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Fair play.

I agree it's been better than that, was just poking fun at the article itself.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Bury Me @ The Boleyn wrote:CNR if you're making fun of my Americanism I apologize. We often shorten all right to alright over here. :lol:
I'm mystified so do we.
Rowly
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Rowly »

Or scrap the law that stops them playing against their parent club...
Last edited by Up the Junction on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double quote removed.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1857 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Rowly wrote:
Or scrap the law that stops them playing against their parent club...
No chance.

One possible scenario: last game of the season, a player on loan is playing his 'parent' team in his last game for his 'temporary' team. If his parent team win, they'll qualify for the Champions League next season, when the loanee will be back playing for them.

What nefarious thought might fleetingly cross his mind?
Rowly
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Rowly »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: No chance.

One possible scenario: last game of the season, a player on loan is playing his 'parent' team in his last game for his 'temporary' team. If his parent team win, they'll qualify for the Champions League next season, when the loanee will be back playing for them.

What nefarious thought might fleetingly cross his mind?
In that scenario the temp team would probably decide not to play him anyway I should think
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Bury Me @ The Boleyn wrote:CNR if you're making fun of my Americanism I apologize. We often shorten all right to alright over here. :

Nah you misunderstand me mate. I was referring to the window just being Alright, not how ou yanks say it. :wink:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Jacob Steinberg is a West Ham fan and I'm sure he is not alone in his view that the signings in the last two windows have been short termism. The key will be whether we sign a couple of younger players before the window shuts.

My view is we'll easily get three seasons a piece from Arnie and LP. Hart I don't understand, especially if it ends up just being for a year and Zab is a sticking plaster for 12-18 months but when Walker goes for £50m you know that market is short on supply and high on demand.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

It's a case of "so far, so good" rather than job done.

If they let all the rumoured outs leave (Adrian, Collins, Feghouli, Snodgrass, Fletcher) we would be down to 19 senior players - including two forwards who seem perma-crocked. We'll also have only six homegrowns.

We're virtually at the point, after Fletcher and Feghouli (both off this week, supposedly), where every senior out requires a matching arrival.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 860 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

TheOrgazoid wrote: It would be madness to put a Dothraki warlord in goal
Good at dribbling round obstacles though, so I 'd like to see him in a game of cones.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Colours never run wrote:Nah you misunderstand me mate. I was referring to the window just being Alright, not how ou yanks say it. :wink:
You're alright, CNR.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

But short term is everything in football nowadays, it is part of how the game has changed in the last few years. Allardyce did a talksport show last week saying how he did not see managers staying at clubs much beyond 3-4 years very often going forward.

Bilic is already the 9th longest serving manager in the premier league and 3 of the 8 above him in the list brought teams up from the championship. If most managers are pretty much 3 years and out why should owners not look to players giving them 3 years or so service?

Let's face it it is also a price thing, a 25 year old version of a 29 year old player would be twice the cost because of the potential for longer term service or sell on value.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Just heard Bilic on Sky, the way he was talking his first team is done, incomings will be to add squad depth more than automatic first choices. He also said he was happy with what he has and that probably something would happen between now and the close of the window.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Unless we are gonna put faith in either Rice or Burke I've just scared myself into thinking we need a young reliable fit CB.Reids injury record over last 4 years is pretty shocking tbh missed 3 months in 3 of those 4 seasons.Ogbonna coming off back of 6 months out with knee and apparantly sat out training due to some pain in knee.Tbh thought of ginge/Fonte for any amount of time would terrify me.They are ok with one of Reid or og but together would be worrying.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

MB wrote:Jacob Steinberg is a West Ham fan and I'm sure he is not alone in his view that the signings in the last two windows have been short termism. The key will be whether we sign a couple of younger players before the window shuts.

My view is we'll easily get three seasons a piece from Arnie and LP. Hart I don't understand, especially if it ends up just being for a year and Zab is a sticking plaster for 12-18 months but when Walker goes for £50m you know that market is short on supply and high on demand.

I think its a great strategy personally. Get good experienced players with something to prove. Ideally I would like us to spend 75 million on a brace of younger right backs but it ain't gonna happen. This will prove to be a great window for us. We might even have a chance with the league cup/fa cup with a bit of luck. It's not ideal but its realistic. The key now is to keep going. We need a few more and continue to seek to improve in every position.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Haven't seen this mentioned here yet:

We've signed that trialist keeper from Ghana, Joseph Anang.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

bubbles1966 wrote:It's a case of "so far, so good" rather than job done.

If they let all the rumoured outs leave (Adrian, Collins, Feghouli, Snodgrass, Fletcher) we would be down to 19 senior players - including two forwards who seem perma-crocked. We'll also have only six homegrowns.

We're virtually at the point, after Fletcher and Feghouli (both off this week, supposedly), where every senior out requires a matching arrival.

To be down to 19 with 2 weeks till season starts would be very dodgy.But you know for sure we will have 3 keepers prob some 35 yr old free and trott so that's 21.And surely Cullen and Burke warrant a squad place. so that's 23. But would most likely still need couple more bodies in.Just worries me we are then back to 6 or 7 new faces again ,even though much more experienced this time.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

bubbles1966 wrote:It's a case of "so far, so good" rather than job done.

I agree, I just hope that the owners think they have got us back on side and can go back to relax mode. However I will be optimist based on what Bilic said about having filled the holes with real quality on a modest net spend which he claimed meant that we can still go for quality if the opportunity arises ( or did I dream that). Especially though after hearing Bilic's resigned almost contemptuous attitude to Carroll's almost endless absense it's pretty obvious that he will want another striker in. After that I dare say what's left (if anything) will determine any other incomings with the odd punt no doubt. Clearly they are milking the outgoings to bolster that end.

And yes there is a short term approach presently I don't mind that though for the moment, especially as at our level bought in good quality younger players may actually be with us for less time than these seasoned pros and actually achieve less or no more for us as a result. Especially if they have to be bedded in for a while. However it's only sustainable for a certain period or it simply gets too costly eventually. Hopefully their contribution along with the developing youth plays we have brought in can prepare us for the future, enhanced by being a better bet for the high quality younger established players we will should seek for a true break through. I suspect that latter will for the most part be left for any new buyers/investors to accomplish however.
Believer
Has liked: 1432 likes
Total likes: 766 likes

Post by Believer »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:

I think its a great strategy personally. Get good experienced players with something to prove. Ideally I would like us to spend 75 million on a brace of younger right backs but it ain't gonna happen. This will prove to be a great window for us. We might even have a chance with the league cup/fa cup with a bit of luck. It's not ideal but its realistic. The key now is to keep going. We need a few more and continue to seek to improve in every position.
Well I bleedin never ! Hugh is on a positive one !

Maybe things aren't as bleak as I keep telling myself. Maybe there's a silver lining after all. Hugh, I think I need to revaluate and take some of your positive pills. It's got to be better than my current doom and gloom ! :thup:
Last edited by Believer on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.