Javier Hernandez Signs

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Re: Javier Hernandez Signs

Post by jacko »

SO fox in the box type strikers can only be successful at huge clubs? I don’t think that’s true at all. Football history would suggest otherwise.

My problem with JH is that he’s lost a bit of pace. Takes away his edge.
Last edited by jacko on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote:Hernandez = Mexican Kevin Nolan.

If it ain't in the box, he ain't in the game.
Didn't Nolan bow out on 99 league goals?

Uncanny that Hernandez is on 49/99 for Mexico.

They can't both be so unlucky, Shirley?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

stu1 wrote: Is there anyone on here who would pick this fella ahead of Arnie up top?

I’d pair him with him and drop Lanzini back into the midfield three.

Likewise. I mentioned it after the Bournemouth game I liked the look of Hernandez playing up top alongside Arnautovic or indeed another forward.

Having said that, I'd also happily play him up top instead of Arnautovic long term as I don't see Arnautovic playing that role consistanty for a lot of a season and think it's more of a temporary measure. I still see Arnautovic as more of a secondary Striker/Forward supporting another Striker than just him holding the line by himself.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

devonshire flu wrote:This situation is nothing to do with the owners, the type of player, or the squad we want.

Moyes took over at Manchester United, and the first thing he did was bench Chicarito.

Moyes took over at West Ham United, and the first thing he did was bench Chicarito.

Moyes - for whatever reason - doesn't rate him as a player.

So he wants to go to club where the coach does rate him. Simple as that.
so nothing to do with the fact moyes took over and hernandez got a pretty bag injury playing for the mexican national team which kept him out the team for a while and by then arnie had made the position his own

nothing at all
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Well he won't be playing up top with either of Lanzini or Arnie as they are both out with hamstrings.......doubt he'll be sold in this window but then this is West Ham.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

mumbles87 wrote:so nothing to do with the fact moyes took over and hernandez got a pretty bad injury playing for the mexican national team which kept him out the team for a while and by then Arnie had made the position his own

nothing at all
And absolutely nothing to do with prime Rooney, Van Persie and Welbeck having 80 goals and assists between them :)
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

jacko wrote:SO fox in the box type strikers can only be successful at huge clubs? I don’t think that’s true at all. Football history would suggest otherwise.

He has never been a "pace" striker, not once has he ever relied on kicking the ball past a defender and having a foot race to the ball. The reason he is so good is his ability to get a yard on a centre half inside the box. His goal gainst Bournemouth Ake was goal side of him and within a split second he was a yard infront of Ake and on the end of a drop down. Carroll would never have scored that goal, Arnie either i doubt. He's a different type of forward lets not make him out to be something different. He's made a career out being this player and at 29 years old he's not going to change now. Playing him among a mobile forward line wil benefit him and the players around him, Carrolls second goal against West Brom wouldn't have happened if Hernandez wasnt on the pitch, he took both centre halves out of the equation with his movement..

HE shouldnt be played up front alone, thats for sure, he shouldnt be played against teams if we're going to play hoof ball / counter attacking football but he should be playing every game where we are going to have the majority of possession and chances will fall. Thats the purpose of having a squad and chopping and changes players and tactics for different teams. IMO of course.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

IMHO it is absurd to say hernandez can do nothing else except poach in the penalty box. He is a decebt footballer and his link up play is fine if the ball is played to feet and other players (i.e arnie and lanzini) are near him. He can hold it up and turn away from defenders to keep the ball moving

We don't need to change the team to accomodate him. He has had hardly had any minutes on the pitch with both Arnie and lanzini (if any) so silly to say it can't work when they all fit
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

We don't need to change the team to accommodate him at all.

We should play him where he performs best. He needs to be on the bench until perhaps the 60th minute and then be brought on to attempt to grab a goal when we're chasing the game.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

jacko wrote:SO fox in the box type strikers can only be successful at huge clubs? I don’t think that’s true at all. Football history would suggest otherwise.

Football has changed massively in the last decade. History isn't going to help you reach the right conclusion IMO.
ballantine
Has liked: 1318 likes
Total likes: 235 likes

Post by ballantine »

devonshire flu wrote:Moyes took over at Manchester United, and the first thing he did was bench Chicarito.

Moyes took over at West Ham United, and the first thing he did was bench Chicarito.

Moyes - for whatever reason - doesn't rate him as a player.
People keep saying this. I don't follow Manchester United closely, so I took a look at the stats.

2012/2013 (last season under Alex Ferguson):
In 38 matches, he started 9 times. Brought on as a sub 13 times. 22 appearances and 949 minutes in total. On average, he started 1 out of 4,2 matches was involved in 57 percent of the matches. 10 goals.

2013/2014 (under David Moyes):
In 34 matches, he started 5 times. Brought on as a sub 16 times. 21 appearances and 709 minutes in total. On average, he started 1 out of 6,8 matches, and was involved in 61 percent of the matches. 3 goals.

2013/2014 (under Giggs):
In 4 matches, he started 1 time. Brought on as a sub 2 times. 3 appearances and 131 minutes in total. On average, he started 1 out of 4 matches and was involved in 75 % of the matches. 1 goal.

All three managers largely used him in the same way: As an impact sub every other game. He started a bit more often under Ferguson, but then again it’s easier to rotate on the team when you’re walking away with the league as compared to being under desperate pressure for points at all times. At the same time, Moyes used him in a slightly higher percentage of matches than Ferguson did. Ultimately, Moyes rated him the same way Ferguson did.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

whatever his strengths and weaknesses looks like we're going to see plenty of him in the next 3 weeks
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

StackerJJ wrote: HE shouldnt be played up front alone, thats for sure, he shouldnt be played against teams if we're going to play hoof ball / counter attacking football but he should be playing every game where we are going to have the majority of possession and chances will fall. Thats the purpose of having a squad and chopping and changes players and tactics for different teams. IMO of course.
What is this majority of possession that you speak of? :D
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Until he has had a chance to play with a motivated and inform Arnie, Lanzini and Noble, it is impossible to say whether we could accommodate him or not

His main spell of games were at the beginning of the season when either Lanzini was injured, Arnie was suspended or couldn't be bothered, and the team in general was a bit pants

Or, stuck up front in games where we had no attacking desire whatsoever, and he had no support at all

I wasn't his biggest fan before he signed, but we should at least give him a proper chance before we just write him off. In most games where he has had some kind of support, he has scored
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Looks more and more likely that he will be on his way out in the Summer.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Looks more and more likely that he will be on his way out in the Summer.
:scarfer:
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Anybody know the last time he completed 90 minutes? Has he actually managed that for us? Always seems to get hooked around 70 minutes or come on for the last 20.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Hernandez is not playing well, but - as I've said with other players in the past - I'm loathe to judge him when we're not playing to his strengths and (as it was earlier in the season) being played completely out of position.

I think a lot of his evident attitude is more down to frustration, than not being bothered, so I'll give a little leeway on that.
He should be playing better, but I have a hell of a lot of sympathy for him.

Would anyone seriously expect this from him, if he'd been with us and playing up top during that first season with Bilic?
Indeed, he'd go to many Premier League teams and would be scoring goals, bit between his teeth.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

You are right. That was so obviously going to end up like that today.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1112 likes

Post by Rio »

Still getting an incredibly easy ride from those who don’t go.

Another shocking performance yesterday. But hey. It’s a player with a big reputation who everyone wanted.