David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Should WHUFC offer David Moyes an extended contract?

Yes
37%
No
50%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 1058

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Re: David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

Post by Colours never run »

Even more so after they scored their 2nd. It was frustrating me seeing us sitting back so much and the inevitable collapse came as no surprise to me.
Gabers

Post by Gabers »

Gabers wrote:I see little if any improvement under Moyes than what we had under Bilic last season

People have very short memories and i cant look past defeats to Brighton, Watford, Everton, Burnley, Swansea, Wigan, Newcastle ... all totally unacceptable performances.

I won’t be attending until this board and manager leaves. I have not been to one game this season! First time in years
Negative line up at home to Stoke ... total capitulation away at Arsenal and throws young centre half under the bus straight after the game and 42% of you on here want him to stay?! f*** me

He is an embarrassment to this club!
goa127
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

jaybs wrote:Yesterday Moyes got the line up wrong from the start! don't think anyone is judging it on one error by a young player!
I can't see what was wrong with the line up or tactics yeaterday. Going toe to toe with Arsenal is only likely to end up one way (see last 5 minutes ) To beat Arsenal you need to get them to beat themselves by over complicating and over passing. Giving them space to play simple quick passes is suicidal. Being able to bring on Abuymayang as sub was also a huge plus for the gooners. This is not the first time they've beat us from the bench, and that's the real difference with the 'big' clubs. They have superstars in reserve.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

Until the goons at the top piss off, the manager is just the bloke picking up a wedge until he gets lobbed under the bus.

It's all totally irrelevant to me really.

As you were
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Iron Mark wrote:Are they going to be deleted like the 'Bilic Out' comments were?
They were? The things you learn etc.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Unforced errors that in due course change the game are not the fault of Moyes.
Its happened too many times especially with Hart in goal.
Moyes I admit, picks the team.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

He's done a fairly mediocre job with a fairly mediocre team. He wasn't allowed to invest in January so its really hard to comment on what might have been.

Its a common theme with this club and something we cant use against him. If he were allowed to spend money in January maybe we would have been sightly better maybe not i don't know. What i do know is that for 2.5 half years its been evident that we need new centre midfielders. We haven't invested in this area and its destroying us.

Moyes is negative, its quite clear he's negative. The Stoke game was the one for me. A team who has conceded nearly 2 goals a game on average and we set up EXACTLY the same as we did against Chelsea (a team where we were always going to sacrifice possession) doesn't make sense to me. The constant over looking of Hernandez is a joke too in my opinion.

We have done the same in every game since January, we press for the first 15 minutes, we're high up the pitch, we're pressing every touch and create a few chances. We dont score then we slowly get deeper and deeper as the game goes on, make an attacking change between 60-70 minutes to try and change the game. Its okay to set up to counter against the "big boys" but the games we are going to have similar / more possession we need to have the right players on the pitch.

Im sorry but Zabaletta is not an attacking full back, we are playing with 3 center halves (one which is a left back) and Masuaku is forever covering in around Cresswell (as hes the weakest link in the back three) so he is in and out of games (and probably our 2nd biggest threat). We play Kouyate, Noble and Fernandes none have an attacking bone in their body, Mario is in and around but he doesn't set the world alight (i dont think he's bad he's just okay) and Marko isolated as always. Its just so negative, predictable and boring.

Its clear centre midfield needs improving Kouyate, Noble, Fernandes and Mario is probably the worst in the league in all honest and its why our results are what they are. I am going to say something maybe controversial but the only other club who have a centre midfield as bad as ours are Stoke (Badou and Allen are similar to Noble and Kouyate but Ireland, Fletcher etc that make up the rest are as bad as ours) and they are the only club to concede as many goals as us. I think you could choose any club in the league and one or both of their CM would walk into our team and make a difference.

I'm on the fence still with moyes and I'm not sure if we've actually "improved" under him since Bilic, we definitely don't look as lethargic but we are still conceding on a crazy level and there are still lots of negatives the way we play. I'm not convinced we'd be in a different position to what we are now had Bilic stayed, I think if Bilic had the staff Moyes has (Pearce, Mckinlay and Irvine) we'd be better off. Never gonna happen but just think Bilic encumbered himself with his backroom team, his fault no-one elses.

I am worried about the future still, if they keep moyes they'll half arse it as always, if they hire somebody new they'll half arse it as always so i dont think its going to make any difference either way.

I think they'll keep Moyes, this way Sullivan still gets to play real life football manager and he has a scapegoats as when when the :thdn: hits the fan.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I am not sure it really matter who we have as manager if the current board continue to shackle the club.

Any manager coming in to this current set up would find it very tough to do any better than Bilic or Moyes have.

I quite like Moyes, I think he is a solid manager who could do a solid job with us given the right backing and investment.

His biggest fault by some distance is his reluctance to change a game until his hand is forced. Burnley at home was crying out for a goal scorer and he say tight until it was too late. Stoke at home the same. Even Arsenal away could have panned out differently had we thrown Andy Carroll on when we had Arsenal on the back foot.

Jury is out for me. I like the idea of going after the Fulham boss (if they miss out on promotion). Having watched them with clients a few times this season, he is a decent manager, forward thinking and in tune with the modern game. But I fear that he wouldn't be allowed to make the changes needed and if that is the case we may as well stick with Moyes.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

People dig out the big clubs who get rid of a manager after half a season because he's done a mediocre job. Surely we have to give him time and money and let him put his stamp on the team. I personally think we are a side that desperately needs a few years of real stability because I can see the weight of the London Stadium eventually taking us into the championship. We've taken far too many hammerings at home against average sides and that's because the LS simply isn't home yet and away teams don't fear the place. If that means a few years of mid table finishes whilst blooding youngsters such as rice / burke and bringing in young talent like Tom Cairney for example then I'm happy for Moyes to stay and give us that stability we need whilst trying to rebuild a new side.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

As I said last week, I voted for no. At the moment I am swaying towards no unless like I said we stay up fairly comfortably. If it goes down to the wire, which looks highly likely at the moment then for me he has failed as quite frankly IMO we shouldn't be as close to the drop zone as we are. We have dropped so many points under his reign for taking too long to make positive changes it is frightening. I do have a horrible feeling that draw at home to Stoke will come back to haunt us. We are good enough to pick up a point against Leicester and possibly even against bogey Everton. But with our approach to games who knows. I do think it will be a repeat of the Zola season sadly so far: I.e. we will only stay up as thankfully there are worse teams than us and ones that have dropped as many silly points as us.

I will reserve my judgement until the end of the season.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by Ben »

my personal pros and cons

pros
kept us up (still TBC)
installing full time scouts (how did we not have them already?!)
respect to anyone working under GSB
mostly has been pretty dignified what with the owners

Cons
barely kept us up (TBC) form has been pretty terrible
multiple huge losses
negative approach to games we should be looking to win
bad record since leaving everton
threw young player under the bus
Hernandez
Hart

I personally feel we need fresh ideas, a manager with a plan and a philosophy not just someone with prem experience
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

I really can't decide...I like the look of our back room team and feel he will achieve it his mandate of keeping us up at all costs...(by the skin of our nuts) but feel a large part of this is due to the ineptitude of the bottom three.

The thought of watching another season of moyes brand of football doesn't stir the heart either, it's not the much further up the ladder then big sam....but then billic didn't end up playing the football I had hoped for either.

Went for unsure.
JB66

Post by JB66 »

He should go at the end of the season, if not now. Four years of Fat Sam was bad enough, another four games with this third rate version is probably too much! Outdated tactically, too defensive against weaker teams, signing has beens, now publicly humiliating our best young player but letting England's new "number six" away with repeated fumbles... I would rather have Paul Ince or Kenny Jacket as manager than this perennial failure!
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Does he deserve to stay on a purely business, target delivery point of view, yes.

Do I want him to stay, no.

Being a fan of football, as well as West Ham, I want to see entertainment. Moyes has given us some entertaining games but I want to have a nicer on the eye philosophy.

I wouldn't begrudge him getting a contract, but I would be over-enthused. I care more about what's going on with the wider club tbf.

Generally quite apathetic about the whole situation :crest:
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

goa127 wrote: Going toe to toe with Arsenal is only likely to end up one way (see last 5 minutes )
i get the argument and it's a fair one, but using yesterday's last 5 minutes to prove it, as many have done, is just stupid.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

I believe this is now the first time 'no' has been in the lead (by two votes, at time of writing).
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Up the Junction wrote:I believe this is now the first time 'no' has been in the lead (by two votes, at time of writing).
3, I forgot to actually vote :arry:
brothernero
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 761 likes

Post by brothernero »

Up the Junction wrote:I believe this is now the first time 'no' has been in the lead (by two votes, at time of writing).

Is this one of the closest polls you have run?
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

Uplift following our drubbing yesterday?
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

He will let Sullivan pick the players and wont complain about the total **** (in PL terms) training facilities or the non descript scouting network (other than being interested in everybody in FIFA 2018 and waiting for a bite) or anything that could be construed as being disloyal to the owners, just so he can be a Premier League manager,imo.
He saw the defensive MF weaknesses and vowed to address it -then lay down and had his tummy rubbed by Sulli's gift of Joao Mario and the mighty Jordan Hugill!!
At least Sullivan will be more comfortable with a "meh" manager and has ,probably, checked if he will fit under the next bus.